Airframe Manager States

Graeme_77

State Saving

The aircraft autosaves the state, position and trajectory every 20 seconds while in flight or upon entering a runway, and on approach passing 1000 feet above airport elevation. Additionally you can manually save a state and name it. In the unlikely event of a crash you can resume your flight from where you left off by reloading the aircraft and ensuring the “Restore Position and Trajectory” checkbox is selected.

State Tracking

In most simulated aircraft there are no consequences for leaving a battery on or quitting the sim without a proper shut down. You may be unhappy to discover the state of your aircraft if you do this. Like the TBM, the aircraft tracks its own state and if you fail to shut down the aircraft properly your batteries will be discharging while you are away.

Reloading States

The aircraft state can be reloaded, optionally with the saved position and trajectory. This allows states such as "Ready to taxi" to be created at one particular airport, then at a later time load the aircraft to a spot at another airport and reload the state without using the saved position. This is a quick way to create scenarios like "Ready for takeoff". Note that when a state is reloaded, the simulation time is not automatically set, so if you are resuming in-flight it will be necessary to set the sim time correctly after loading the state. This may cause a momentary loss of GPS position.

• Like 4

Hi @Graeme_77,

I am flying CL650 like it is my private jet, so when I land at an airport, the next day I am flying from there. Two days ago happened that landed in LOWI and the following day I wanted to start from there. The "Restore position and trajectory" was ticked. The following day I found the airplane at the exact same position where I left it, which is great, but I heard that the engines are still have this cooling down noises. I opened the aircraft and saw that still the ITT was like 150 Celsius, what meant for me is that the program did not noticed that 24 hours spent already. What I am doing wrong?

Thanks.

Edited by Gábor

I did some testing and I found out that things are not cooling down with this Restore feature. So I think it is s bug, that some parameters should be excluded about this state save. Icing on wings also. So how to do proper state tracking including ITT cool down, de-icing during night, etc. Thanks.

Edited by Gábor

7 hours ago, Gábor said:

Hi @Graeme_77,

I am flying CL650 like it is my private jet, so when I land at an airport, the next day I am flying from there. Two days ago happened that landed in LOWI and the following day I wanted to start from there. The "Restore position and trajectory" was ticked. The following day I found the airplane at the exact same position where I left it, which is great, but I heard that the engines are still have this cooling down noises. I opened the aircraft and saw that still the ITT was like 150 Celsius, what meant for me is that the program did not noticed that 24 hours spent already. What I am doing wrong?

Thanks.

The engine cool down should be based on real elasped time, not sim time. So if you close X-Plane for a few hours, the engines will have cooled (and potentially ice accumulated on the airframe depending on conditions), but if you just change the X-Plane clock forward a few hours and restore state, the engines will not cool. 

The intention there is that the state saving is to allow flights to be paused, X-Plane closed, then flights resumed. It won't force date and time on reload to allow some flexibility (like - "Hmm, let's try that LOWI approach again, only at night").

Edited by Graeme_77

5 hours ago, Andydigital said:

Why does the none persistent mode not have an in flight auto-save facility? The sim crashes just as much in that mode as it does in persistent mode, so it’s needed there too.

Non-persistent mode was not intended for flying anything you'd want to keep. It was expected to be used for the first few start attempts, and maybe trying different approaches etc. 

There has been a lot of confusion and misunderstanding about this mode, with people thinking it's some kind of "easy" mode - so there's a reasonable chance non-persistent mode will be removed from the product in a future update.

On 1/11/2022 at 9:47 AM, Graeme_77 said:

Non-persistent mode was not intended for flying anything you'd want to keep. It was expected to be used for the first few start attempts, and maybe trying different approaches etc. 

There has been a lot of confusion and misunderstanding about this mode, with people thinking it's some kind of "easy" mode - so there's a reasonable chance non-persistent mode will be removed from the product in a future update.

Let me explain why I think this mode should be kept and expanded to allow saving states:

Yesterday, I was doing some practice approaches using saved career mode flights. Today, I wanted to fly a "real" flight. But my career mode state was set in the weird way the plane was left after my most recent practice approach. If non-persistent mode worked the way I would argue it should, then these different uses could be totally separated.

• Like 1

I understand, but you’re asking for persistence in the non-persistence mode!

The case you mentioned is why Career mode has states and airframes. You’ve left one aircraft in flight, and you want to dump that flight, and start a new flight: 

Either load to your new airport and choose the “entering runway” auto save, without restoring the trajectory, or (my preferred) save a state as “powered on, ready for fuel” when you have finished all the preflight checks. That way you have a state ready to go with all the avionics displays and options set to your preference, the kg/lbs setting and the registration letters all set as you prefer.

Alternatively, create a new airframe if you regularly want to pause mid flight, then start another flight without finishing the first.

I have been looking at this bird for several days, every time I see a review I get even more impressed!  But somehow this “save state” functionality was a pleasant surprise tonight.  I don’t get a lot of time to sim, and often have to leave the simulation for a number of hours before coming back and doing another hour on the sim.  This “save state” functionality has me convinced that I’m getting this beauty for my sim!  

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

The save state is really good, I had a crash on my first take off because I accidentally discharged the fire suppressant into the left engine! :O 

So I was able to load the entering runway save state and not have to set up the aircraft a second time! Great feature, thanks for including it.

• 1 year later...
On 1/13/2022 at 1:03 AM, Graeme_77 said:

Either load to your new airport and choose the “entering runway” auto save, without restoring the trajectory, or (my preferred) save a state as “powered on, ready for fuel” when you have finished all the preflight checks. That way you have a state ready to go with all the avionics displays and options set to your preference, the kg/lbs setting and the registration letters all set as you prefer.

Thank you Graeme, for this important hint.

However I rather like to determine myself when to save a state rather then relying on the autosave feature so as to be able to start with that state in any future flight.

Therefore my question is:
Can I save a state BEFORE leaving the plane (and XP11/12 and how to do that?

Thank you in advance already and take care.
Cheers
Juergen

39 minutes ago, Pils said:

That’s what he suggested; open the airframe manager, type in a name for the state, and press Save. Done!

Thank you, Pils, that is what I had understood as well, but for some reason the name for that state is not taken and nothing much happens (in XP12 at least...)
That is why I asked for more detailed instructions ;)

DANKE und alles Gute!
Jürgen

Edit a few minutes later:
It worked now! Thank you both Graeme and Pils

Edited by Scorpio47

16 minutes ago, Scorpio47 said:

Thank you, Pils, that is what I had understood as well, but for some reason the name for that state is not taken and nothing much happens (in XP12 at least...)
That is why I asked for more detailed instructions ;)

DANKE und alles Gute!
Jürgen

Maybe I’ll make a video…