Should I buy Saab Today or wait for next Update?

HarryCYUL

You might feel the frames taking a hit with your VRAM, even with the lower texture version, but if you can turn off some other stuff to compensate it's an excellent study plane so worth the punt now if that's what you're looking for. I wouldn't expect to be able to get "above 25fps all the time with most settings maxed" though. (Really? All other payware with 1.5GB VRAM and settings maxed?)

BTW, if you're the same HarryCYUL A.K.A. BleedAir recently banned again from the Avsim forums, you should be aware that the Saab won't improve XPlane's weather rendition. :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

If you're planning on buying it anyway, I don't see the point in waiting just for the patch.  If it's a question of whether or not you can run it, you'd have to provide more concrete information on your pc.

EDIT: I see your pc specs in your signature. I'm running a similar rig but with a 4gb GTX 770, and I can't run everything *maxed*. You'll be fine with the Saab 340, just fiddle with your settings until you find the right balance of visuals and performance. 

Edited by hobofat

ok thanks for the replies guys.   @scotchegg  "  I don't go on AVISM, they are too PRO FSX/PMDG butt kissers.  I like the .org and xpilot forums.  My wife is still on AVSIM...they can't ban her that easily with this:  www.hidemyass.com  She has around 11 Avsim accounts and thousands more waiting to be created if caught :D:P

Edited by HarryCYUL

@scotchegg:  plus a ban is useless nowadays with smartphones.....Websites will not ban a country's cellular network.  Anyone can get back on to a site with their Android, Apple or other device.  My wife helped a registered Carenado buyer get his updated b58 by giving him the download link....avsim considered that Piracy...oh well my wife made a mistake....that's life.

Edited by HarryCYUL

@scotchegg:  plus a ban is useless nowadays with smartphones.....Websites will not ban a country's cellular network.  Anyone can get back on to a site with their Android, Apple or other device.  My wife helped a registered Carenado buyer get his updated b58 by giving him the download link....avsim considered that Piracy...oh well my wife made a mistake....that's life.

Social engineering is the easiest way to hack a security system.

It is not your wifes place to verify the sales validity of a third party user and a third party vendor.

This IS piracy, no matter what you may think to try and justify it.

This is also why we insist upon using a DRM system.

My wife helped a registered Carenado buyer get his updated b58 by giving him the download link....avsim considered that Piracy...oh well my wife made a mistake....that's life.

Wow! Publicly announcing your illicit activities. Kinda like the bank robber chick who posted about it on Facebook.

If he had legitimately bought the Baron in the first place, why the hell would he need your wife's download link? That's highly suspicious.

Edited by ointment

I just bought the SAAB myself, you should be able to handle it if I can.  Definitely a FPS hit though..  I get 30 FPS only in areas with no buildings with my normal settings (I use OSM and HD mesh normally)

The new update should fix that I hope.

Anyways Ive been having fun with it so far.. normally I dont like starting planes from cold and dark.. but this plane, EVERY switch works.  So it feels more authentic... its not too complicated to start but there a few things to switch on before you fly.

I feel like I will be spending a lot of time in this plane because of its depth..  plus it looks and feels really cool to fly!

Anyways Ive been having fun with it so far.. normally I dont like starting planes from cold and dark.. but this plane, EVERY switch works.  So it feels more authentic...

The guided checklist with the view changes is brilliant ... It's going to be hard flying any other plane now.

Hi LES team,

is it still "only" programming the installer or is there other work to do for the update?

I fully agree on the decision not to give release dates but I think that there could be some info about what is planned (no guarantee) for the update and what feature or problem you are currently working on. I like to think that people are able to understand that coding a complex aircraft (among other things;) is full of uncertainties, surprises and dead ends - in fact progress often means delay. Anyway - I always enjoy insight on the process, no matter what the outcome is.

Best regards

Flo

Edited by FloB

Wow! Publicly announcing your illicit activities. Kinda like the bank robber chick who posted about it on Facebook.

If he had legitimately bought the Baron in the first place, why the hell would he need your wife's download link? That's highly suspicious.

the avsim user PHANTOM88 posted in the forum that he never received his link so my wife gave him her link.  I bet you didn't know that my wife bought a Prepar3D Academic License and Donated it for free to Avsim as a gift for loving the site.  I guess not, Avsim staff are sneaky like that :)   The user who won the free P3D License is named KIWIFLYER, pm him for confirmation...he usually hangs out in the FS9 forums and will confirm the gift donated by my wife.  Think before you reply ;)

Edited by HarryCYUL

I have been enjoying SAAB for about three weeks now.  After several minutes , I am not able to see it from the outside ( single digit FPS) BUT I know that the update is coming some day and on the top of that Ben found a bug for the memory leak that I was also experiencing and I am experiencing.

To make the story short, I love the airplane, I am able to fly it on flights around an hour or so.

Clapping hands for LES Developers and waiting for the update.

As answering the question, if you want to learn, buy it but remember you might get mad when things slow down.  :D

Cheers, AJ  ;)

As answering the question, if you want to learn, buy it but remember you might get mad when things slow down.
Everyone please keep in mind that AJ is the only one that I have seen report a problem of "slowing down".  I know others have done some longer range flights without any issues.  Keep in mind that everyone's system is different.  A fair assessment can be made once the update is released.