MU-2 progress towards update

tkyler

I can't beat this "i'll believe it when I see it" feeling

Technically, that's the only way it really goes down!

Every step of the way in this update has required some type of work to be performed.   It has not always been by me....but every piece of the work to be performed has always been continuously performed.  There has not been a point in time where it wasn't making progress simply because nobody wanted to work on it.  I worked till I needed some gizmo tech....Ben's been working on gizmo tech for a while and the 64 bit issue complicated things a lot....then when he got his ducks in a row, I immediately set back on it and Cam and I took the next stop and I'm taking the final steps now. 

I have to convert my Garmin C code to gizmo and that will take a few days in between my Laminar and 737 work but beyond that, I have tested it relatively comprehensively and so far so good for V1.5   this isn't where I want it to be for a V2 run (TBD sometime after the 737), but I honestly think no one will notice, I barely do and its great fun to fly IFR and on VATSIM. 

TomK

• Upvote 2

Thanks for the update Tom. When it is finished it is finished and I will rejoice. Until then, I will stay busy with my CFI training.

@Dozer - I admit that GPS can be somewhat cheater in a sim, but with how prevalent they are in cockpits today a GPS system needs to be even better rendered than ever. I truly wish that the stock X-Plane 430 was more like the real one and not a one trick (direct only) pony.

Hey guys.  a report after a bit of testing yesterday.

I have to convert my Garmin GTX330 transponder to Lua...not the GPS.    This looks to be  bit more work than other code I converted.  I'll have to take some time to reverse engineer my code (its been a while) and then represent it in Lua.   I originally thought I could do this in  a week, but think it will be longer.  The good news is that I am working on it and if history is any indication,  once the "idea" is solidified, the code goes very quickly.  So in the larger "context", a few more weeks is acceptable to me, but at least it is not indefinite.  I am actively working on it so its not sitting on the shelf.  From the testing I did yesterday, I am really happy with the performance though my beta tester is having some issues we have to work through.  Besides the GTX330 transponder, the Moo is operating great!

As far as x-plane GPS goes,  we at Laminar know its a weak point and we know it needs addressing so it will not be a one trick pony forever.

TomK

• Upvote 6

Every step of the way in this update has required some type of work to be performed. It has not always been by me....but every piece of the work to be performed has always been continuously performed. There has not been a point in time where it wasn't making progress simply because nobody wanted to work on it.

Oh, hey, I wasn't being sarcastic or anything. I am sure you put all your efforts and your heart in this update. This thread only is proof enough. It's just that i don't want to get too excited over the moo 1.5 coming out anytime soon, as there may well be another mountain to climb before that.

T.

It's just that i don't want to get too excited over the moo 1.5 coming out anytime soon, as there may well be another mountain to climb before that

Totally understandable, I was just expounding for others, I never took it offensive at all ;)    This GTX330 simulation is really all that stands in the way and it's just a matter of time.  My beta tester found a few issues but darn near negligible....and if he can't find many, then I am really happy.  I've been the Moo in all sorts of situations and (so far)  it just works without any fanfare....which means you just enjoy the darn thing.   I'm kind of excited to finish the GTX330 myself and jump on vatsim with it...that's what I built it for in the first place.

TomK

• Upvote 1

Garmin transponder port to Lua 95% done...putting the final touches on it now.     I'll coordinate with XA this upcoming week on packaging and stuffs.   We still have to do some tests but by this evening, I am very confident that the technical work on the MU2 will be done and only the distribution and registration stuffs remain.

TomK

Not much to show that hasn't been shown in the past.  Here's the garmin in the "Count down timer" mode and in the middle of code entry, but with the count down timer expired....and when that happens, the timer shows "EXPIRED"  and the timer begins counting up.   Great for non-precision approaches and really challenging navigation "old school".  The radios show some zeros for frequencies, but that happens a lot during development and I keep programming errors and those variables go to zero....won't happen in normal ops.  ( I hope!)

TK

post-5-0-21972400-1369604895_thumb.jpg

Edited by tkyler
  • Upvote 3

You HDR guys should like this. ....and to think this Moo isn't half of what it could be.  One day after the 737, this guy will get the super-treatment.

TomK

I read "one day after the 737" as the very next day after the 737 is released, and thought, "uh-oh, this isn't going to end well!"  Gotta be careful with all us literalists around these parts  :D

Congrats on getting the Moo to this point, I for one am grateful and looking forward to putting her through the paces soon.

OK...tests with XA regarding distribution and DRM done successfully.  I have to say, this system is fantastic without being obtrusive. Kudos to Cam and BenR for providing a professional installation and management experience.....I mean, just keep your XA user and pass handy and you should have no issues; HOWEVER, that being said, I think this is the first  64-bit gizmo product to be distributed and though we have endeavored to cover as much as possible based on past experiences, this will be a new "trial" on a mass scale.  This MU2 1.5 update will be for V10 only and 64-bit only.    The "x-plane consortium", consisting of laminar and lots of devs all agree that 64-bit is the focus and future and we need to leave 32-bit behind...that's just the way of computer technology.  My computer is old and ratty and 64 bit works great for me.

So....this SHOULD be out during the weekend (assuming no "non-flight sim" related life surprises or emergency reshuffling of priorities).  This is not a promise but rather an 'educated estimate' based on my years of troubleshooting and knowing when and what causes delays and issues, at least when close enough to see the finish line (far away estimates are always cloudy).  I have tested the MU2 rather thorougly and its performing very reliably on my machine, but my machine isn't your machine so we'll see how it goes. 

So what is happening now is I am going over the what's new docs, preparing a impromptu video showing the new features and basically cleaning up the package, dumping old legacy files.  I am NOT working on the code or flight modeling...that is all done to my satisfaction and now the DRM and activation tests are complete also.  This MU2 is head and shoulders above the "old experience" and sadly, the last free major update of the version 1 run.  (minor bug fixes will still be performed if needed)

Tom K

• Upvote 2

I hope a lot of new happy customers will pay you off at least for some of the hard work and trouble involved with this update.

Well that will have to wait till version 2.0.    Development is not linear anymore though.  I mean, x years to get to this point does not mean y years to the next.   There has been a whole lot of infrastructure development in authoring tools of which the MU2 was a guinea pig.  I could not be more excited about the future of development with what I'm seeing now. 

TomK

• Upvote 1

I know it's a free update but I think that the 1.5 update may attract some attention and that the full v10/64bit compatibility will cause some "new-to-x-planers" to buy this lovely aircraft now. It's worth it. Or does Cameron sack all the money? However, wish you and your moo all the best.

Flo

Edited by FloB

This MU2 is head and shoulders above the "old experience" and sadly, the last free major update of the version 1 run.  (minor bug fixes will still be performed if needed)

While I'm excited and grateful for all of your hard work, I don't understand why you're calling this an update rather than Version 2.  It isn't V9.7 compatible and it isn't even 32 bit compatible.  With as much time and work you've put into this bird, seems to me you should be calling this one Version 2.  I don't think a "free update" should include the requirement of purchasing new software.

Edited by steven winslow

While I'm excited and grateful for all of your hard work, I don't understand why you're calling this an update rather than Version 2.  It isn't V9.7 compatible and it isn't even 32 bit compatible.  With as much time and work you've put into this bird, seems to me you should be calling this one Version 2.  I don't think a "free update" should include the requirement of purchasing new software.

I guess I don't understand why you don't understand. How any of this can be puzzling to you is odd. :) I only wish I had enough posts to see how ridiculous your vaporware topic reported on by xsimreviews was. 

It's pretty clear that this project for upgrade has been going on since before X-Plane 10 was even a thought, and it was promised as a free update, as well as labeled 1.5. There is no pre-requisite to follow the "Steven Winslow" way of things, is there? These guys can label it how they wish to! You are clearly making noise about almost nothing. Tom has been pretty open about the planned roadmap in time throughout this thread. Part of that roadmap includes an in-between hybrid of version 1 and a version 2. This equates to 1.5, with a 2.0 (as I understand it) to be practically an entire 3D overhaul.

I thank the efforts of Tom, Ben, and Cameron here for all they have done. While some like Steven enjoy to complain, I am entirely grateful for your efforts to bring this bird to 64-bit, label it as 1.5 (who gives a hoot?), and give us a middle marker until you reach the end of the threshold (2.0). Great work!

Edited by CoreyR

I don't think a "free update" should include the requirement of purchasing new software.

I see your point; however, the software world is a bit more fluid than that and I've been rolling with it for 35 years.   But I tell you what...I will honor your feelings this weekend!   the "update" (so called)  will be free for all other existing customers, but you can pay 24.95 for it (it will be on sale ;) ) and call it a "verion 2.0" and opt not to buy it if you think I'm such a dishonorable vendor..but since it's vaporware anyhow, its not like it was going to be real for you anyway.   I know by putting in a little bit more I made V10 necessary, but my comprehensive market research shows that generally more is better and so I just did it.   Some people get it, some don't.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnA3C9Af_oc

TK

Edited by tkyler
  • Upvote 4