X-Plane.org truly shocks me!

Tom Knudsen

I would never believe I would say this but that forum is totally insane!

Without as much as a warning they totally blocked my account from posting, removed my pm box and restricted my access to

any of the third party vendor support forums.

And would you believe that they answer any wonder why messages?

Well, removed all my uploads and sendt an email letting them know they can delete my forum user account for good.

Let me tell you, I would be supprised if they do remove it, hope they do though :)

I must confess I am curious to know why third party vendors uses x-plane.org as there support platform still?

Guess this is not news to everybody in here, but I am still baffled over how the moderators operate in that forum

totally disrespect to their members and I do believe they couldn't care less about third party vendors and their products.

Anyway, glad to be out of there!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Yeah welcome to the wonderful world of a "soft ban",  as someone who truly likes to walk the line with the community I was shocked that I was also banned in this way.  I still show up as a member there but I cannot participate in any discussions, frustrating when you are trying to support a product......  

Making a professional decision to work with X-Aviation shouldn't of resulted in that action but oh well what can you do?  I got it, be a better person..... ;)

• Upvote 1

I made a donation to the ".org" to help cover the costs of running the site.  I didn't even receive a courtesy email thanking me for the support.  I was expecting a little bit more from them about it.  I've also found my "warning" level go up on occasion without ever getting a message about why.  Since the new year I've been trying to focus my attention to this site and a few other x-plane related ones leaving my visits to the ".org" as a last resort.

Maybe we should make a call to a certain "anonymous" person. :)

Funny thing about that, he has no idea about the draconian approach to business the org handles. The forum and the store are 2 different entities and have no financial involvement

with Austin. He might not like it, but would have nothing he could do about it. Business is Business.

....Austin. He might not like it, but would have nothing he could do about it.

Funny thing is I think there is plenty of embarrassing, rude or questionable behavior in these forums as well. Doesn't take much digging to find posts by community leaders, developers and basic members that would give Austin reason to be displeased. I'm sure Austin is all too aware of what goes on in these forums as well as at the org.

Funny thing is I think there is plenty of embarrassing, rude or questionable behavior in these forums as well. Doesn't take much digging to find posts by community leaders, developers and basic members that would give Austin reason to be displeased. I'm sure Austin is all too aware of what goes on in these forums as well as at the org.

Please share the posts from community leaders and developers that you have found in these forums.  I haven't found any that I find rude or questionable.

I'm genuinely interested.

Funny thing about that, he has no idea about the draconian approach to business the org handles. The forum and the store are 2 different entities and have no financial involvement
with Austin. He might not like it, but would have nothing he could do about it. Business is Business.

I think the truth is he doesn't actually care. I also don't think he could actually do anything about it. It's always bugged me that the people on that site scare new users away, e.g. People who have downloaded the demo and want some questions answering. To these people, this looks like the official X-Plane forum.

People will clash and argue and disagree with stuff, and I have nothing against being rude to people who repeatedly troll or don't follow rules, but people who ask a question in a pleasant way and get snarky remarks from xYOUKNOWHOW, is completely out of order.

Also, I can't work out if I'm banned from that site or not. Sometimes I can get in, other times I get a "you are not allowed to visit this community". Which appears to be a block on my IP Address. If I reboot my router or use a proxy I can get in.  Do they hate every IP address in Poland or something? Also, I've sent 3 emails about this in the past, as I'm also a paying customer looking for support, and all three have been ignored.

Just as a side note : with IP address blocking you almost always have "collateral damage" ... so, even though, a site might have nothing against you personally, it might have big issues with hackers / spammers etc. from a given IP range / domain / country (what ever level they choose as appropriate for blocking). And in that case, every "normal" user from the same IP range is banned (even if they didn't do anything bad). So, at least some of these "not understandable blocking" might be the side effect of fighting the "bad guys" on the net ... Its not always fair, neither perfect, but in some situations it might be the single most effective "weapon" (and as all weapons --> "collateral damage").

This is very likely the case, and is what I've suspected. I just wish the administrator of the site would have actually replied to the emails. It wouldn't have bothered me too much if the site was just a plain old forum, but the fact that it is also a store where I've purchased software and I'm looking for support, it's rude and shows a complete lack of respect for their customers.

I'm glad there are slowly more options being used for selling and hosting X-Plane addons, such as here and avsim. But all this is really fragmenting the X-Plane developer community, and it's something we could really do without.

I registered with X-plane Org and responded to the e-mail they sent to validate my account, that was three months ago. I have not been able to log on at all to the forum but I can however log on to the store.I have sent numerous e-mails asking them to rectify this problem but I never get a response.Just bad management I guess

• Upvote 1

I used to use the .Org very, very much in the forums.

I was banned from the Shoutbox because of "*Spamming" and have been banned before because my repainter (for my VA) gave me a repaint to upload, and it turned out that it had a copyrighted thing in it (which the repainter do not know) and I got banned!

My repainter PMed the mod that banned me asking to unban me because I did nothing wrong, and he said no and something like "He uploaded a copyrighted repaint. He still gets punished even if you did it" or something like that.

I think that Brett Sumpter (brett s) would ban his mother! Come to think, his mother probably knows the rules!

Moderator Definitions:

*Spammer - An innocent member that posted "hello! How are you?" in the shoutbox.

Copyrighted - A file that you did not delete fro your PC after uploading it (It must have been copied!)

Mod of the month - Whoever banns the most users

M - Mean :angry:

O - Only bans <_<

D - Drastic idea of "Mature" :lol:

E - Everyone hates you :(

R - Rude :P

A - Awful  -_-

T - Totally needs a life :unsure:

O - Oscar Award of "Best at Banning!" :blink:

R - Really Rude :P  :P

Does that fit the bill of the .Org moderators?

Of course, X-Pilots mods are nice. Cameron is a nice guy.

Agree?

Yeah that's life, one day they will fall to oblivions and they will regret their attitudes. But this day isn't far at all...

On my side, I'm a proud banned user, with the Hall of Shame label, like big rock stars got their ticket to Rock N' Roll Hall of Fame ...

Ahah, Brett would ban his mother, that was a good one Toby !

post-4525-0-73042000-1391624344_thumb.jp

• Upvote 1

Been a member of the org forums since 1999. Was even a mod their for some time. They have changed owners at least 5 times since that time. And Brett was there from the beginning.

Been banned from the forums there to, as Cameron will tell. It was the beginning of the XPFW that got us banned.  15 years is a long time ago.