IXEG 737 Classic for X-Plane 12 Announcement

Cameron

4 minutes ago, manguras said:

I think the flags represent the nationality of everyone who works or has worked on the IXEG project right?

That is correct.  Four of us originally.  Each of the others on the team have graciously reduced their stake so as to allow me to continue work on it and keep it alive. Without their sacrifice, the IXEG would have reached end of life at V11.  I'm eternally grateful to them and wanted to honor them openly this way for their wonderful work.  Their fingerprints will always be on the IXEG...   Jan Vogel,  Nils Danielson and Morten Melhuus!  Thx guys!

-tkyler

• Like 11
  • Upvote 1

On 6/9/2023 at 9:05 AM, tkyler said:

Sneak peek for the regulars....and a form of update I guess.

All the cabin/galley 3D geometry is done...I'm working my way through the cabin currently, adding / texturing the smaller details and tweaking the lighting.  A few more days of this I suspect, then I'll hit the final punchlist and tests with Jan.   An unknown....XP12 b06 is hitting us devs shortly with some rendering changes...hopefully it won't affect us too much, if at all.  Fingers crossed.

-tk

image.png

Will an all-economy option be available? 

On 6/9/2023 at 10:03 AM, VirtualGAaviator said:

I'm going to my EAA Chapter meeting tomorrow morning. I'll check around there for some with access to a 717. If I get a hit I'll PM you.

One of the guys I talked to flew the MD11. I gotta say, it surprising what I learn at these meetings. I learned the 717 is basically an upgrade to the MD11. It sparked a conversation among a couple of retired airline pilots. It was so interesting hearing some of the shenanigans they dealt with on the B732, B733 and, B734.

Also what was interesting is their lack of appreciation of what is involved with modeling an aircraft for flight simulation. My challenge turned out to be why a dev would need access to someone who has access to the 717. They'd pull up stuff on the internet and say, everything they [devs] need is already on the internet. I hope I gave them some awareness of the level of authenticity today's flight sims possess and why it's important to have a 1st person source.

Anyhoo, it was a fun conversation the 717 sparked. Thanks @tkyler.

Edited by VirtualGAaviator
Clarity - After poking around the internet, I think he must've meant the B717 was an upgrade to the MD80. (Souce: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McDonnell_Douglas_MD-80)
  • Like 4

13 hours ago, VirtualGAaviator said:

My challenge turned out to be why a dev would need access to someone who has access to the 717. They'd pull up stuff on the internet and say, everything they [devs] need is already on the internet.

based on my perception for trying to use my previous flight experience and trying to do something in X-plane:

What a developer needs to work, usually is not the type of thing that pilots will focus when you need that information, or is extremely simplified because beyond that is irrelevant.

If you have access to someone from engineering department you probably will be way, way more translate that knowledge into valuable data to the product.

I'm not saying that pilots are not valuable into any of this projects. They do and have the capability of saying: "Hey, this actually behaves as close as the real thing" and confirm that it has a valid training effect. i.e. realistic.

On 6/8/2023 at 12:41 PM, tkyler said:

any Delta Airline mechanics / pilots here who are flight sim fans?  hit me up on PM.

Everyone that I know never operated or were involved in the 717.

And the few that handled the MD8x hated it to the heart.

• Upvote 2

slow but steady on the lighting...this is cabin emergency lighting.  XP12 has really opened up new opportunities with its lighting engine, though a learning process.  Trying to balance lighting effects for a natural look across multiple x-plane 3D objects with multiple light sources is an exercise is patience for sure, but as a simmer since 1981, I can't say I mind.  It fascinates me how far these graphics have evolved.

-tkyler

733_emer_lighting.jpg

Edited by tkyler
  • Like 16

1 hour ago, Sanguis_fluit said:

Curious Why is this taking so long long

Well the MU-2 detour work didn't help.....but beyond that,  in the world of custom engineering / design work,  there are unknowns in the process.  Perhaps the results we are able to get out of x-plane might not be what we want and we have to backtrack and try different techniques, or we make conscious choices to implement things we didn't plan on implementing initially.  May be the software we use is giving us fits (*cough Substance Painter).

In estimating efforts for stuff like this, I like to call such targets, "personal carrots" we dangle in front of our own faces to keep us moving and motivated.  I can reel off a large list of custom efforts that went well beyond time and cost estimates ....by Boeing, NASA, Icon aircraft,  Cirrus, Space-X ...really smart folks with billions of bucks to work with etc...so it just comes with the territory.  We're happy when we get it right...and just keep our heads down when we don't.

One example though....we have working cabin doors.  You can open these doors via the GUI by clicking a checkbox to have the doors open/close.  BUT....I guarantee some folks will want to open these doors more like the real thing, by grabbing the handles and rotating them.  So....I put that feature in, and it was a bit more work than clicking my heels together 3 times....and when I did that, now the checkboxes via the GUI need to reflect the door state if opened by mouse first.  If you open the door halfway with the mouse and then open the GUI dialog....what do you see then, what should the checkboxes show?   What feels natural and logical?  This disconnect between possible actuation methods caused animating 'jumps' and  I had to run a bunch of tests to see what worked and felt logical and natural, and add custom code to handle all that and it just added some extra time, etc.   But in the end, I know that the customers that like to move stuff with the mouse will be happy and those that don't care can still use the checkboxes.  But until I tried it, I wasn't exactly sure what worked best.  I have to view the interactivity in this example from the perspective of a LOT of customers with different preferences and expectations.  In the end, its a win-win for all customers, at the expense of my time estimate being delayed because I decided to add in a feature I didn't before, etc.  

There's been a few other areas regarding lighting that didn't quite work out like I hoped, eating up too many FPS and  I had to backtrack and make some changes there also.  Until I tried it though, I wasn't sure what the performance cost would be..and the alternative method turned out to be quite a bit of work. So...its stuff like this that stretches the time estimates.  

Your comment though, that you love the product gives me confidence that my choices when doing the work are mostly the right ones, and taking the time to do it right, even if it goes past my estimates, are usually worth it.

-tkyler

Edited by tkyler
  • Like 13
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Sanguis_fluit said:

Curious Why is this taking so long long. You have missed every single estimate you put out. Even ini builds releases before this. Love ur plane but I’m suprised honestly 

Is it your first day in the flight simulation space?
Nobody hits their goals/estimate.
ini keep their mouth shut until the product is 99.9% complete, then announce a release date - that's completely different to what's going on here, where we've been kept up to date with the development along the way.

It'll be ready when it's ready, and, as a long time user of the product, I'm grateful for that.

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Sanguis_fluit said:

Curious Why is this taking so long long. You have missed every single estimate you put out. Even ini builds releases before this. Love ur plane but I’m suprised honestly 

This is the exact reason why most developers don't give estimates!

On another note, I'm looking forward to the XP12 version of the 733 as it was one of my favorite XP11 addons, but I was always a little disappointed the cabin was not done properly or the doors didn't open! :) One quick question, do the seat belt/no smoking signs light up in the cabin when you flick the appropriate switch in the cockpit?

• Like 1

• Litjan unpinned this topic