IXEG 737 Classic for X-Plane 12 Announcement

Cameron

1 hour ago, F16Gemec said:

Will the wings move in turbulence and severe weather?

on some level.....yes, but I'm not sure how good the effect will be just yet. 

One reason I've held off on wing "motion"  is I've always wanted to do it right, rather than just code up some randomized motions or simple  Flex = f(airload) behaviors.  By 'do it right' (for the engineers out there),  I mean implement both flex and vibration, which are different, and furthermore, flex/wing weight (fuel) changes the dynamic modes of the vibration (long and slow vs. quick and short moves) .  While coding up free vibration is easy, the bigger challenge (unknown) is integrating some impulse (force input) into the mix, more specifically WHEN to do so. 

In severe weather, those impulse inputs take the form of drafts and micro-changes in densities as the wing moves through the air, and on the ground, undulations in the terrain/taxi speed.   I have no idea yet how X-Plane quantifies 'bumps in the pavement', turbulence or severe weather (in XP12), simply because I haven't looked into it fully yet.   How might X-Plane simulate random "drafts and density pockets"  that would serve as an impulse forces on the wing?....Are they periodic based on some function?  Randomized perturbences etc?   Is there some dataref that says "im in a cloud"?  (I doubt it).  Certainly I'll be asking Austin directly first :P   

So while simple wing flex based on airload is very easy and is a better effect for long flexible wing products...on the -300, wing flex isn't as much fun to look at as 'vibration'....particularly in turbulence and those slow oscillations as you taxi with fuel in the wings...but 'forced vibration'  is the more difficult situation to simulate.  

So.....wing flex will be simulated for sure, but that particular effect will be quite small on this relatively short wing...BUT vibration....yea...thats the one we want, especially me.  The MU2, with those big wing tanks are just crying out for it also.  

I just need to determine how to best implement the perturbances, the magnitude and timings of them.   Best case, X-Plane will provide some sort of dataref that represents the perturbances directly and those will be adequate... worst case, all I'll get is some "turbulence level" number and I'll have to determine my own wing motion timings somehow....and thats where potential "evolution of the effect" may come into play, where we release with a more basic effect and then refine it based on experimentation.  I can tell you I want this one to be 'just right' pretty bad! and will work on it until it is.

-tkyler

Edited by tkyler
  • Like 5

6 hours ago, rafaeljose said:

I meant the non-EFIS 737-300 with analog HSI and ADI

Ah. For the time being this is not planned. We have many things we want to get to before additions like this.

Maybe one day, but not anytime soon compared to something like VNAV work.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Great news guys! Can't wait to see this in my XP12 fleet. I have recently been involved in porting another product across from 11 to 12 and omg I have seen with my own eyes how much work is involved in doing this - it's nothing like a straightforward task like some people imagine. With the flight model alone you end up wishing you could have just started over with an empty sheet. The transition seems to have almost killed off some projects.

You have my gratitude for not letting this drop, I really miss the classics! I'm also delighted to pay 15 dollars for this, I think its really good value for the work that will have had to go into it (especially as you now have to cover the additional overhead of someone going full time).

I don't get why some people are moaning about 15 bucks - I spent more than that on Pizza yesterday, now all I have left to show  for the pizza is wind. After upgrading the IXEG to XP-12 we will have that in a whole new sim for years to come. There's no comparison really.

Keep up the good work! :)

• Like 8

Since the external visual model will be redone for the next updates, we remain hopeful of seeing the 400/500 versions.. 

In any case, thanks for what you are doing.

Good luck to you, and I wish you fewer external problems that may affect your work, and, apparently, your favorite pastime, because without love, such a product cannot be made.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Simmerdiman said:

Since the external visual model will be redone for the next updates

That's not quite right, at least not for the next XP12 update (in the singular sense).  Subsequent updates (in the plural sense)... later down the road will see redone external visuals of higher resolution.  That is quite a heavy duty job and will probably take a couple of months...so I'll address that after the FMC work most likely and everything else is working well, but certainly that will be the time to look at the workload for the 400/500 variants.

Thank you also for the well wishes.  

-tkyler

Edited by tkyler
  • Like 2

I have no issue with paying an upgrade fee, given how long this product has been around. That being said, I'm sceptical when looking at the development roadmap. The items listed for the initial release don't convince me the 733 will become once more as relevant to me as it used to be back in XP10. The things I'm really looking forward to (FMS improvements, freighter version) remain vague. Throughout the XP11 cycle, IXEG hasn't exactly demonstrated a great capacity to perform incremental development. They now have that chance. If IXEG actually delivers what I'm looking for, I'll buy the upgrade.

21 minutes ago, daemotron said:

If IXEG actually delivers what I'm looking for, I'll buy the upgrade.

and that's the way it should be.  Never more complicated than that.  Best any of us can do is 'hope' when we're not at the wheel.

-tkyler

• Like 1

3 hours ago, daemotron said:

The things I'm really looking forward to (FMS improvements...

I will point out...that once this XP12 port is stabilized....the FMS / autoflight is the highest priority, and not just for the 733.  Other projects already in progress require FMS work as well, so it behooves us to really develop a flexible and reliable FMS infrastructure and by focusing on this, I am essentially working on multiple projects at once without sacrificing any one timeframe, so thats a max efficiency use of time and a big motivator to focus on it.

-tkyler

Edited by tkyler
  • Like 4

13 hours ago, tkyler said:

Other projects already in progress require FMS work as well, so it behooves us to really develop a flexible and reliable FMS infrastructure and by focusing on this, I am essentially working on multiple projects at once without sacrificing any one timeframe, so thats a max efficiency use of time and a big motivator to focus on it.

-tkyler

Yay, IXEG 744 confirmed :D:ph34r:

15 hours ago, tkyler said:

I will point out...that once this XP12 port is stabilized....the FMS / autoflight is the highest priority, and not just for the 733.  Other projects already in progress require FMS work as well, so it behooves us to really develop a flexible and reliable FMS infrastructure and by focusing on this, I am essentially working on multiple projects at once without sacrificing any one timeframe, so thats a max efficiency use of time and a big motivator to focus on it.

-tkyler

Did the IXEG team ever think of another future project besides the 737? Just to know!

3 hours ago, manguras said:

Did the IXEG team ever think of another future project besides the 737? Just to know!

Yes....sort of.

This question requires a bit more explanation.  IXEG as a team, had four developers, two of which do not actively develop any longer as their families/lives/careers moved in other directions.  Currently I am the only one of the original team pursuing X-Plane development full time.  Jan, as most know, is a 747 captain now, which keeps him busy, but he also is still active in XP development when not flying.

So its fair to say, that I myself, have not only thought of a future project, It's well far along (chipping on it in spare time over last decade).   Whether or not it is branded under the IXEG name I cannot say, because I respect the work of all my IXEG teammates, and I would not release a product under the IXEG name without all the original team member's blessing.   TBH, I haven't thought about the branding much because for me, its the same no matter what, I still click the mouse a lot and put the same level of workmanship into anything I do, whether on IXEG or TOGA Simulation work.  So the future work may be branded under either TOGA Simulations or IXEG, depending on conversations yet to be had.  In general, its the same developers for the most part.

So....the future projects.  Once the IXEG for V12 is out the door and any initial round of bugs squashed, I expect to make an announcment regarding its development.  Until then, I will neither confirm nor deny any guesses made.  For anybody "nervous" about the IXEG development suffering, I will drop a hint and say that the FMS work on the IXEG will have about 90%+ similarity with next project's FMS, so both will be getting worked on at the same time in essence.

-tkyler

• Like 7
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, tkyler said:

...Jan, as most know, is a 747 captain now, which keeps him busy, but he also is still active in XP development when not flying...

...For anybody "nervous" about the IXEG development suffering, I will drop a hint and say that the FMS work on the IXEG will have about 90%+ similarity with next project's FMS, so both will be getting worked on at the same time in essence.

-tkyler

Those two bits of info have that little speculative voice going off in my head of what could be coming. if it is what I think it is, that would fill a long empty void of a (not CL variant) certain 18 wheeled airplane, which I would be thrilled about if it's true. if not, then I'll continue to wait and hope that one day it will be made for X-Plane. 

Edited by hornetaircraft

1 hour ago, hornetaircraft said:

if not, then I'll continue to wait and hope that one day it will be made for X-Plane. 

I know I said I wouldn't comment one way or the other; however, we specifically dismissed this one in other forum posts earlier., so no new info here.  No 747 from us, sorry. ..at least not from where I can see today.  

Edited by tkyler

On 4/9/2023 at 1:59 AM, tkyler said:

I know I said I wouldn't comment one way or the other; however, we specifically dismissed this one in other forum posts earlier., so no new info here.  No 747 from us, sorry. ..at least not from where I can see today.  

;)Okay, a new aircraft with 90% similarity in FMC to 733 but not a 747?

75/67 confirmed then?:rolleyes:

• Litjan unpinned this topic