Build it... they are Coming!

Xflyboy

I like everyone else here has been following ALL the forums & posts offering views of what's to come in XP10, and like everyone else I'm truly amazed at what I'm seeing. LM & Team have really stepped up the game.

The thing I find really funny is how the "die-hard" FSX users are descending on these posts, and even these guys are mostly amazed at what's to come.

I believe X-Plane will be the "Cream of the Crop" this coming year, no other sim out of the box looks anything like what I've seen. And the high-end aircraft that's been scheduled already for release is the Cherry on Top.

This update will now force some developers to "Up their game"!

It's all been worth the wait in my book!

LM & Team... you have built it... and they are coming!

Great Job!

What forums posts? I went over to x-plane.org....THE place for xplane news (see screenshot below)...and there's no news on the front page or in the news section...just a bunch of news about .org payware. Does the org even know that XP10 is about to come out? I bet if they weren't selling it, they wouldn't even announce it's release.....pfff. One of the biggest releases in x-plane history and "our" own 'org' community isn't even bothering to share any news about it. Why is the staff even there? ...to get free stuff? There is no way you're going to sit back and give me any good reason why there's a link at x-plane.org sending everybody over to AVSIM to get news for x-plane 10....are you kidding me? ... and people wonder why we started x-pilot. The administration behavior at the org is a disgrace!

remember.jpg

Edited by tkyler

Sure it's strange that there hasn't been much hype at the .org, but why is it a big deal? Frankly, I don't care what Nicolas wants to advertize, because i know that I am excited for X-plane 10. :D

This is a time for celebration, so why can't we all just look forward to the release and not bring more .org crap into this.

Safe to say X-Pilot is THE new hub for x plane community news. Seeing as Cameron posts news of X-Plane 10, x-plane.org products and X-Aviation products on the front page of X-Pilot...without any kind of payment or bias towards any one developer and an open discussion under each news article with no one saying "buy an ad".

Edited by Goran_M
  • Upvote 1

The Aerosoft forums are pretty lit up with XP10 talk. I'm pumped!

Its funny too seeing as the CEO over there is really excited and talking a lot about it. That whole forum post from the 1st down to the last is a great read. Thats just one company to hopefully bring some top notch scenery and other add ons. The other funny part is listening to the FSX guys whining and being babies about it. I also browsed through the org forums and it wasn't even in the portal unless if got covered up. I have noticed that whether its posted here, X-plane 10 blog, or even in our own VA it never links back to the org. I would put money down that more FSX related and FSX only websites are carrying more news about then the org has. I gotta wander if Mr. Nick over is jealous of the fact that X-plane 10 is basically being built and tested by Laminar and X-aviation. Speaks volumes

JB

Yeah, I love the way Cameron constantly updates the front x-pilot page with news about all x-plane news (x-a releases, x-org releases, x-10 info, everything basically). X-10 really does look very exciting, I just hope my new computer will run it well. Let's face it, no matter how "optimized" it is, your computer will have to be pretty hardcore to run all that auto gen, new clouds and weather, custom scenery and a nice aircraft.

Sure it's strange that there hasn't been much hype at the .org, but why is it a big deal? Frankly, I don't care what Nicolas wants to advertize, because i know that I am excited for X-plane 10.

This is a time for celebration, so why can't we all just look forward to the release and not bring more .org crap into this.

This is not an easy question gentlemen. One could easily argue that this is just a flight sim hobby and they would most definitely they would be right....but none the less, the org is a American run company, practicing monopolistic behavior and censorship, acting in the best interests of the owner, not the community which founded it, nurtured it and made it valuable.

"What's the big deal?" is one of those questions that people usually ask too late. Imagine you eat healthy to avoid a heart condition...and you go your whole life and never have a heart condition. Now if you never had a heart condition, then why did you eat healthy? You absolutely can't prove it was because you ate healthy because somewhere in the world is a guy who didn't eat healthy and lived to be 99....but none the less, you did what you thought was right to prevent something you didn't want to see.

That's why I remind people about the org's practices frequently, to keep it in the forefront. I don't want to wake up 3 years from now and be paying 40.00 for a product that should be 20.00, getting no customer support, no quality assurance, only getting news about products sold at the org and nowhere else just because the org has no competition. I joined the org, contributed to it because it was a community where I gave and people gave back to me and I wanted to be able to know about x-plane related things there. Well it's not like that anymore, you don't get the full x-plane picture there and it's because it was hijacked .

People tell me ...you can go to x-pilot or AVSIM and you don't have to go to the org and my response to that is, "you're exactly right....because some of us are making sure you not only have an alternative but that you also KNOW of an alternative. Leaving the org alone is tantamount to letting them run over everybody for their own gain.....not me man! It's a cronies club over there. It's not right for x-plane users who trust the org to keep them informed about x-plane related things....just as the moderators said ...er lied....and I'll continue to say so as long as it's so.

-TomK

Edited by tkyler

It's sad, isn't it? It's one of the few things I'm really disappointed with in the direction X-Plane is taking.

Why are you disappointed? If you want to develop, develop. Just because some of the "big boys" are coming to XP means nothing for those of us "small guys" who want to develop airplanes/scenery.

Are you opposed to growth?

Edited by Redfisher

Funny how over the years I have heard a lot of people complaining about bad scenery & aircraft, they want this, they want that, then they get it and still complain.

I guess you just can't please the masses.

The thing that has made me stick with XP, was the fact that it is continually growing, and you didn't need to tweak the hell out of it to enjoy it.

The more "Big-Boys" the more quality to choose from.

Just my 2 cents worth.

• Upvote 1

Why are you disappointed? If you want to develop, develop. Just because some of the "big boys" are coming to XP means nothing for those of us "small guys" who want to develop airplanes/scenery.

Are you opposed to growth?

Sure, we can go on making our planemaker-only aircraft with default panels and no fancy paints. But as the standard of quality moves higher, these aircraft and their builders are hardly recognized, and in some cases, looked down upon. Some people will keep on developing despite this change, but others, those whose motivation came partially or completely from the communities' interest in their work, may stop. Some people don't have the time to learn how to make fancy objects or code plugins, much less spend the hundreds (or thousands) of hours it takes to build such an aircraft. Let the "big boys" come. But as they do, watch the "small guys" leave. It's already started.

Sure, we can go on making our planemaker-only aircraft with default panels and no fancy paints. But as the standard of quality moves higher, these aircraft and their builders are hardly recognized, and in some cases, looked down upon. Some people will keep on developing despite this change, but others, those whose motivation came partially or completely from the communities' interest in their work, may stop. Some people don't have the time to learn how to make fancy objects or code plugins, much less spend the hundreds (or thousands) of hours it takes to build such an aircraft. Let the "big boys" come. But as they do, watch the "small guys" leave. It's already started.

I think you overestimate what people will think about PM-only aircraft with simple panels. In the 2+ years I've been in X Plane, I have seen a lot of dodgy stuff in the org download manager. But hey, it's freeware and these guys give it a good go. My hats off to them. We all have to start somewhere and you can only get better by learning from your mistakes. No one will look down on what you make if you give it a solid effort. On the contrary...you will be applauded. If you really want to make better quality aircraft, then research it. Work your craft. Read. Buy books and videos. Learn Blender, AC3D or whatever program you choose. Ask questions, but don't expect anyone to do it for you. No one was born with a gift for modelling in 3D or texturing in Photoshop. We all started somewhere. Dan Klaue has made a good set of videos for anyone willing to start out with aircraft development. I won't say it's a comprehensive, fully featured set of videos, but it is definitely enough to get you up and running.

If you want to start with something of payware quality, start with a single engine GA with a simple panel. Anything bigger and you're setting yourself up for failure and disappointment. DON'T make the mistake of starting with a 747-400 or something of that calibre. It seems that every man and his dog wants to make one of those when they start in aircraft development. That's not being thrown into the deep end...it's being thrown into a damn whirlpool and it amazes me when I see the confidence in someone who says they will make one with all the custom features it involves...without ever opening a 3D program or photoshop or seeing "C++" and thinking it's a typo that has 1 too many +'s. Would you let a person who has never touched an engine fix your car after just reading about it on wikipedia?

A GA will enable you to learn a lot (more than you think) about what you are doing and at the same time will give you a feeling of satisfaction that you completed something that didn't really take long.

Just look at Carenado. He has about 18 thousand (slight exaggeration) GA's and making a good living out of it.

Ok, I'm getting too deep. I need a coffee.

Tom, what you say is true, and I agree with you.

If it's so important to you, then why don't you start a topic somewhere else? I just don't why we have to bring negativity into a topic like this.

(Sorry if I sounded a bit rude in this post. I couldn't think of another way to say it.) :)

• Upvote 1

I just don't why we have to bring negativity into a topic like this.

Not rude at all Graham, no apologies necessary when talking to me.....you have NO idea how much I appreciate and respect people who can talk honestly and plainly. As I mentioned, it's a complex thing to discuss in the forums. Sometimes opportunity presents itself, no matter how small and you just have to take advantage of it. My post is simply to bring attention of an issue to whomever comes across it. It may not be the most effective delivery word wise...but being that I've been doing it for 3 years and will continue to do so, all I can say is sometimes my emotions get the best of my words.

It's like advertising...when you have a message to get out, it really is appropriate everywhere. I mean, c'mon...do we really need a big sales banner for the Challenger 300 at the top of EVERY forum topic at the org (seriously...go check it out)? Couldn't they just put it somewhere else? ..and as to the negativity part, I see promoting freedom of information among the community as positive. I don't seek to persuade you of my view Graham, only explain it as per your question.

Cheers

Tom

Edited by tkyler

Not rude at all Graham, no apologies necessary when talking to me.....you have NO idea how much I appreciate and respect people who can talk honestly and plainly. As I mentioned, it's a complex thing to discuss in the forums. Sometimes opportunity presents itself, no matter how small and you just have to take advantage of it. My post is simply to bring attention of an issue to whomever comes across it. It may not be the most effective delivery word wise...but being that I've been doing it for 3 years and will continue to do so, all I can say is sometimes my emotions get the best of my words.

It's like advertising...when you have a message to get out, it really is appropriate everywhere. I mean, c'mon...do we really need a big sales banner for the Challenger 300 at the top of EVERY forum topic at the org (seriously...go check it out)? Couldn't they just put it somewhere else? ..and as to the negativity part, I see promoting freedom of information among the community as positive. I don't seek to persuade you of my view Graham, only explain it as per your question.

Cheers

Tom

No persuading necessary! You make great points about the .org.

I can't think of anything else to say. :P