Multiple Crashes to Desktop After OS X Lion Upgrade

simbabeat

Well, I hate to say "I told you so," but, I told you so!  I took a look at your log.txt and off the bat, I don't see any glaring issues.  However, I would suggest dumping Airport Navigator.  It has known issues.  I know a lot of guys swear by it, but I just swear AT it.  I'm sure it's some sort of OS incompatibility.

Don't just disable the plugins. Physically remove all your non-essential plugins to a Plugins_Disabled folder.  Then, one by one, add them and start up X-Plane each time you add one.  Try that process and let us know how it goes.

Don't just disable the plugins. Physically remove all your non-essential plugins to a Plugins_Disabled folder.  Then, one by one, add them and start up X-Plane each time you add one.  Try that process and let us know how it goes.

I did that.  There is no reason I shouldn't have upgraded to Lion.  It is stable and many other x-plane users are using it.  I am not saying my problem is because of Lion.

I did that.  There is no reason I shouldn't have upgraded to Lion.  It is stable and many other x-plane users are using it.  I am not saying my problem is because of Lion.

Steven didn't say the problem was because of Lion. You're correct, Lion is stable. Just because Lion is stable doesn't mean that all the programs it can open will be. This is why Steven recommended against the upgrade- sit tight and wait other to find the issues and for for authors to update their programs to work with the new OS. What you are now is essentially a beta tester- not for the new OS but for all the apps that it can run.

Thanks, Kaphias, for expanding on what I said.

So, Simon, what you're saying is that it worked fine with Snow Leopard, but now that you've installed Lion, you get crashes to the desktop?  Hmmm.....Lion may  be stable, but it is apparent it doesn't like something with your X-Plane installation.  I won't say Lion is unstable, but I will say that the machine you bought was not built for Lion and you would probably have been better off staying with Snow Leopard.  This is coming from a guy who has experienced compatibility issues with every new OS I have ever installed on an "older" machine, and I've owned Macs since the very first one back in 1984.  I don't dare install a new system on my work computer or Photoshop will have fits.  It's not so much the new system being unstable, it's exactly what Kaphias said:  Lion is not compatible with something you have installed. 

It's exactly what Kaphias said:  Lion is not compatible with something you have installed. 

Depends how you look at it I guess: some will see it as Lion being king and all the apps have to work with it instead of the other way around. Makes more sense really, you can't expect Apple to test Lion with every single app and add-on to see how it works. It's the developer's responsibility and of course it takes some time for them to fix any issues... hence why we recommend waiting.

Ok wow.  Yes agreed with both of you.  No need to argue over it.  But what is done is done, I have upgraded to Lion.  If it happens again, I will get another log.txt and the apple bug report for you guys.

Also, if an acf is not a Gizmo one, should I disable the gizmo and shrinkwrap plugins?  There are a bunch of Gizmo and Shrinkwrap lines at the end of the log.  Why aren't the gizmo and shrinkwrap plugins just included in a plugins folder in their respective aircraft folders?

Simon

E-mail Cameron and see if he can get your permissions fixed.  I know it's not an XA issue, but I run my X-Plane on an external.  I have not experienced a crash to desktop, but my MU-2 license wouldn't work because of a path problem and Cameron got me up and going.  I'm thinking you may have a similar problem in that X-Plane thinks you should be flying on a different machine than you are.  I'm just shooting from the hip and I hope there's someone out there who can help you resolve the issue.  I wouldn't go back to Snow Leopard at this point.  I'm sure someone can figure out what's going on with your installation.

E-mail Cameron and see if he can get your permissions fixed.  I know it's not an XA issue, but I run my X-Plane on an external.  I have not experienced a crash to desktop, but my MU-2 license wouldn't work because of a path problem and Cameron got me up and going.  I'm thinking you may have a similar problem in that X-Plane thinks you should be flying on a different machine than you are.  I'm just shooting from the hip and I hope there's someone out there who can help you resolve the issue.  I wouldn't go back to Snow Leopard at this point.  I'm sure someone can figure out what's going on with your installation.

Or... maybe he should download the XP demo and see if it will work. Then we will have a baseline to work from... everything else is just a guess.

Ok crashed again.  Attached is the report that the computer gave me and the log.txt.

You loaded the SeaBee, which loaded SASL. Gizmo was already loaded. Boom, you're dead.

Long standing known issue.

Fix: Disable Gizmo before starting X-Plane.

Next!

Of course Ben is probably right... as this is a known issue... but why wasn't it happening in snow leopard?

Soooooo.... again... if you want to be sure.... do some clean diagnostics... download the demo and test it out... we can proceed from there.

You loaded the SeaBee, which loaded SASL. Gizmo was already loaded. Boom, you're dead.

Long standing known issue.

Fix: Disable Gizmo before starting X-Plane.

Next!

Ahhh! But it is also happening when I am not loading an SASL plane...

Of course Ben is probably right... as this is a known issue... but why wasn't it happening in snow leopard?

Soooooo.... again... if you want to be sure.... do some clean diagnostics... download the demo and test it out... we can proceed from there.

Because the Seabee was to complex to work on my Snow Leopard system's video card.

Lemme do some things such as disabling gizmo, and the demo download and see what happens.

As for Goran's karma, I sent it down for the Windows 7 comment, but then sent it up again for his Theo wisecrack! :)

EDIT:  Also, one more thing; If Gizmo has so many conflicts with other plugins and planes, why can't it be used in an aircraft specific plugin folder?  For example, the x737 plugin.