The B737 Classic Project

Morten XPFW

Outstanding work guys! I can't stop staring at them! I love the way the flaps are modeled, just inrcedible...

I only hope the paintkit will be as good, so we can recreate some liveries to their tiniest details. Like if you could plug individual windows like the first two and the last three on the photo that RojanTrojan posted a link to and maybe decide whether you want to have have the eyebrows plugged or not, I'd be thrilled! But if you could just put a registration on top of the right wing without it being mirrored on the left, that would be nice, too.

Thanks for the update once again and keep up the great work!

On behalf of the team I would like to thank everyone for the kind words.

I am also very excited about this plane - currently, as the designers are busy on 3D and textures, my job as a technical advisor has become a bit more quiet. Usually I will just add some input if I think something looks odd, but since all the pictures, movies and drawings are in our repository, they can do their job without my input, and a great job they do.

This gives me time to just fly our plane - and I don´t want to tease you, but it is just so much fun! The systems are pretty much done, with the exception of some small stuff like the fasten belts signs, passenger oxygen, emergency exit lights switch and such. So I can operate the plane very much like the real one, and I fly it back and forth all over the place, different times, different weather, different approaches. I keep adding small stuff I find to a big list of minor quirks that will need polishing before release.

The 3D is coming along nicely, and we will be able to show some really awesome detail-shots pretty soon. I also plan to do another movie in a bit, this time about the autopilot/flightdirector system and it´s modes.

Jan

Edited by Litjan
  • Upvote 5

Great news Jan!

and autopilot is the PERFECT topic for a new video, i am so curious to see how it operates and i think all the movies are so good due to the fact that you are a real 737 pilot as well!

I can´t imagine starting from cold and dark in LFMN at night in that beautiful 3D cockpit with all the systems! I think setting up system is more fun than actually flying sometimes! =)

Best of test for IXEG!

Yes, the passenger cabin will be modeled in full 3d, Tom already has a few rows of seats in, and you can move about in it.

We plan on doing some ground equipment, but it´s not on the highest spot in our priority list, and implementation needs to be in a (sorry Austin) "plausible reality" way. We are unsure about stuff appearing out of "thin air", but would also be not happy with trucks driving through buildings and such.

I guess we need to look at the competition and see how they do it ;) .

I personally could see the GPU wires come out of a ground socket like they do at many airports... we will see.

Jan

When it comes to "usable UI", we certainly have lots of competition; however, that is not our most immediate focus.  Given time frame 'x' and a choice to either make a nicer UI,  extra ground animation or make our simulation more accurate, we'll choose to make our simulation more accurate of course.  What I anticipate is once revenue comes in and we aren't so  hounded by our spouses to get this thing out the door, we can go back and say, "lets add a failures module, or more interactive or pleasant UI" etc. Once the simulation is complete and that monkey is off our back and we don't have to reinvent those wheels, we can go on to invent new ones and get in more fun features.

TomK

• Upvote 1

I’d like to see a video of the 737’s ground behaviour under several conditions from the exterior please, if it is possible at the moment. I’m really interested in seeing what is different from traditional X-Plane aircrafts in that regard. If I remember correctly Morten was talking about ground behaviour a long time ago, and a short video of a crosswind landing was uploaded. I’m hoping more material is coming along! For instance is wing flex over bumps modelled? Turning circle, braking etc. Thank you!

Edited by ktomais

For instance is wing flex over bumps modelled?

I can't speak for other features as that's Morten's territory, but wing flex is not being pursued for the initial release.  The shorter wings of the 737 are less prone to flexing than their longer span cousins, but of course they do flex a bit.  The ROI for this feature is incredibly small at the moment.  We do have ideas on how we could do it and I suspect we'll get to it eventually.  Morten will have to comment on any ground specific work done.

TomK

I think the important thing is as you say Tom to get the aircraft ready for release. X-Plane has never seen this kind of advanced systems in an aircraft, and that is what the IXEG is all about for me. Ground GPU and other stuff are bonus but what i really want is complex system and this is where i win with IXEG! =)

Edited by meshboy

I think the important thing is as you say Tom to get the aircraft ready for release. X-Plane has never seen this kind of advanced systems in an aircraft, and that is what the IXEG is all about for me. Ground GPU and other stuff are bonus but what i really want is complex system and this is where i win with IXEG! =)

Oh absolutely, I’m just trying to get more hyped. :P 

Thank you for the swift answer Tom.