SMP 3.1.1 WRC 1 NOAA Settings Help

Defiance_co

I honestly don't know whether to laugh or cry roflmao

Wasted a 2nd slot redoing rwc and also with my vision it took a 3rd slot off one of my cloud purchases

Well if the above is fine n dandy from yourself, that's it now, no more messling by me lmao

I never knew a sim could break my will, at times this x-plane sure has, then again you've gotta laugh at my ineptness

Live n Learn

Many Thanks

Tony

Edited by Defiance_co
spellingz

58 minutes ago, Celis said:

So, we disable clouds in NOAA's plugin, I guess. :unsure:

X-Plane provides a mechanism we can use to disable all forms of built-in cloud drawing and generation automatically.

You do not need to do this manually if you're using X-Plane 10.30 or better.

From the developer guide;

"overrides building and drawing of clouds as well as white-out-in-cloud effects"

If in doubt, double check the manual.

Edited by Ben Russell
  • Upvote 1

if you set RWC to "always" mode, then it downloads metar data from NOAA and uses it for cloud placement. Any cloud data sent from the NOAA plugin is ignored in this case, because the data it outputs is only a single set of conditions for the entire scene. This is explained in the manual.

As part of NOAA plugin development Joan exchaged views and information publicly with a lot of people; the plugin actually downloads and saves to disk full NOAA files for wind clouds and temperature informatioon, as well as WAFS turbulence information and METAR data. All that information is permanently available on disk but the plugin needs to process it in a way that it can be sent to X-Plane as uniform weather; it actually makes a smooth transition between NOAA and metar, when approaching land, so that the pilot encounters a weather pattern that matches the latest METAR.

José

Last time I looked Joan was using an external program to process the NOAA data.

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/wesley/wgrib2/

This processor program is between 8 and 20 megs in source code form. A non-trivial amount of functionality to try and directly integrate into a plugin.

Joan calls(called?) it as a system utility from a Python thread, something which can lead to jitters because of the technical nature of Python threading being imperfect for this task.

While the data is on disk it's not really a simple matter of just loading it up and reading it in, even given all the source code to do it.

The NOAA X-Plane package uses the existing, provided tools to very selectively query for a small region of current data from the files on disk.

I've run performance tests on this extract operation and it's quite intensive, doing it over a very wide area and number of data points consumes a huge amount of CPU very quickly.

You're right, Ben. Joan removed the download app from within the plugin because it was becoming too heavy and slow; the fact that the plugin itself is a Python script didn't help either. The reason I mentioned all this was to clarify this sentence from Frank: "Any cloud data sent from the NOAA plugin is ignored in this case, because the data it outputs is only a single set of conditions for the entire scene". Although strictly correct, it might be misinterpreted.

José

Edited by Jose Almeida
Quote attribution

14 minutes ago, K4bel123 said:

I just saw that there is a weather engine called "Ultra-WX Weather Engine" included in EFASS. Do you know if it works like FSGRW or like the NOAA plugin? Do I need to set RWC to "always" or "automatic"?

I'd go with "always".