A new FSBreak host from the X-Plane community ?

MdMax

Hi All !

Who is listening to the FSBreak shows ? Did someone listen to the latest show ? They were even talking about the X-Plane fog. 8)

In the end of the show they asked for applications for new hosts. It would be cool to have a X-Pilot.com member in this show. Don’t ask me, my English is horrible. They’re often talking about X-Plane and that’s great. Just look at their impressive podcast index. They even interviewed Austin Meyer, Ben Supnik, the XP Jets team, Cameron about the CRJ… but I think it would be a great addition if they have someone from the X-Plane community as a host. In the news of the last few weeks, they forgot to talk about some excellent new X-Plane add-ons, including the Sundowner and the Yak-55M. They also promised a review for the Falco, but will they really have the time to do this ? Will they talk about the new Paine Field scenery for X-Plane and the brand new Cessna 152 ?

We already have great reporters here like Simon from the X-Plane10 Blog. Simon, do you have a microphone ? Would you like to be a host of this show ? Then just send them an e-mail !  :)

Who else would like to hear a member from the X-Plane community as a host in this show ?

Happy listening ! ;D

Thanks so much for the suggestion Max! Flattered.

Alas i only have so much spsre time in my busy life, what with my other hobby (distracting job) and my 3yo first officer! Plus i know Erics timezone is a killer for us aussies.

i might email them one more time to offer any small contributions, however i have already emailed a few times yo let them know of new developments or even my better videos (falco or sundowner) and never heard back.

but good news now, maybe it has sunk in andthey realise something important has happened in flightsim, a whole new era of fantastic addons

I listen to the show a lot and I love it. I might consider it if I wasn't too shy, haha. I'm actually 1 day older than Brendon from the show. Also, I'm not involved in enough projects. It seems like all of the hosts are like big developers or own sites and stuff. I'm going to think about it. I'm a somewhat of a quiet kid so I'm not sure.

Jared.

I also love this show and that’s why I would like to hear someone from the X-Plane community as a host. This show is not only for MSFS add-ons. It’s something for all flight simulation enthusiasts. They said they want "diversity". Today they’re all PMDG/Carenado/Orbx fans and that's fine, but it's also why a new additional host who uses mainly another simulator would be great. Mark Stewart made a great job describing X-Plane’s flight dynamics, or awesome sceneries like Inside Passage. But he’s a very busy man.

I can understand if you don’t have time or if you’re too shy. ;) But this would have been a good way to show the work that has been done by all the X-Plane developers, and to explain why we love X-Plane. Or do you know a better way for X-Plane promotion ? Let's hope they'll find a host for diversity who follows what's happening at X-Aviation, C74, the Org, XPlaneFreeware, XPFR and all the other X-Plane websites.

Happy flying !  8)

ha I've emailed them offering periodic guest reviews/chats, but after hearing the very funny discussion about the casting call and their dreams of female hosts, I doubt I'd have much of a look in! Plus I can't consume what sounds like whole chickens or hot dogs whilst talking, like brendan can (have u heard him swallowing/devouring while talking @ 200 words per minute? it cracks me' up every time! he's a smart bugger though, he'll go far..)

• 4 weeks later...

Did you listen to the FSBreak 74 show ? Now I fear they'll not talk as often about X-Plane. I fear in the next show, they'll make long comments about the "Microsoft Flight" special effects video, and don't say one single word about the X-Plane 10 in-sim previews and the X-Plane 10 aircrafts. I fear they'll again talk hours about Orbx, Carenado, or PMDG, and "forget" to give news about the Cessna 152 update, the normal maps on the BK-117, and all the great new X-Plane add-ons they never talked about.

:'(

Simon, I still hope they'll consider your e-mail. Thank you for sending it.  8)

Simon, I still hope they'll consider your e-mail. Thank you for sending it. 

Thanks Max. I too heard most of it (keep falling asleep halfway through for some reason). I received a nice email from Eric, but 'he' knows my limited time and timezone. it seems quite u.s. centric, I suppose for practical reasons. An experienced real flyer would really balance it out. Hehe, I know Gorans a prolific talker!

uh-oh, I've just had another idea.....when I first got into xplane, I immediately searched for an xplane podcast. cmon guys, one of u can do it! Pleeeze keep it to 30 mins though

• 2 weeks later...

I love FSBreak myself. And I agree MdMax, Mark Stewart did a great job promoting X-Plane, on a flight simulation podcast that I thought for sure would have been an MSFS only show. I was glad to hear his voice, after a long hiatus, on the latest FSBreak "special issue" recently released.

I also listened to the X-Plane podcast as well, and was hoping that would have taken off as well. I kinda figured that more important obligations got in the way, and I certainly understand.

Having been an X-Plane user since version 3.0, I would have loved being a temporary host, or even start my own X-Plane podcast myself. But working in the Gulf of Mexico for two or three week stretches at a time the way I do, makes this unrealistic for me to contribute the way I really think X-Plane should be represented.

I have contributed some information from time to time to Mark that he used on the show (mainly tips / tricks), including issues that HE himself had with X-Plane.

In addition to the recommendations of potential hosts given here, I wouldn't mind seeing guys like Chuck Bodeen (who does regular articles for magazines like Computer Pilot), or guys like Danklaue (who did the video planemaker tutorials). While talking about flying is ok (there are many real world flying podcasts available, that you can relate to a flight sim), you can get much more information from the "mechanics" and tweeking of X-Plane that are "sim-specific" so to speak. And I'm only thinking of two off the top of my head (there are many more who could be considered as well.) That's just me though.

• 2 weeks later...

Right after that episode both of our lives got very busy. Mine has settled down a bit, I will have to see if Ben would want to keep going, if not I might try to carry it on by myself or find a new partner. (Simon or Chip perhaps :))

I caught up with that episode a couple of weeks ago (I only started in Feb),and It was excellent, then no more since then?...Personally i feel it needs to go back on line here as there is so much happening now in Xplane (Xplane 10?), as we need a vocal outlet on matters and questions ongoing, give it a lot of thought guys, but Xplane would certainly benefit.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello everyone!

Goran pointed my towards this thread so here are a few words regarding this topic.

Lets get one thing out there, none of us are avid X-Plane users. No lies or false ideas, we don't know X-Plane as well as we know MSFS. It is that simple. Eric and I have been doing Flight Sim since the late 90's (FS98 was a staple of my childhood, probably the only 7 year old that knew how to program an INS), Nick and Chris have been in the FS series for close to as long, if not longer. This basically means that MSFS is the primary simulator for all of us. X-Plane isn't. I understand that X-Plane is the primary simulator for a lot of readers of this forum.

All that has a few effects, first off we aren't as linked into the X-Plane community as we are into FS. Not every little piece of X-Plane news gets on the show, in fact I get most of my X-Plane related news from Goran. Plus my random musings through forums like this one (which I look at a lot more than I bet you suspect). Second, we aren't as technically adept to X-Plane as you all are. So yes, we aren't going to get everything right. But on the strength of one segment, I think its a little unfair to assume that none of us have tried X-Plane before.

Lets not forget, we've been doing this for the better part of 4 years now. When we started this, X-Plane was no where nearly as big as it is now. I guess you could say that we've fallen into the niche that we talk too much about MSFS, but I don't think so. Truth is, MSFS has a larger user base and most all of our listeners use either FS9 or FSX. We do have to cater to our audience.

However, we do our very best to not neglect X-Plane. If you've been listening to what I say on the shows I always give credit and attention where its due. When something big happens for X-Plane, we talk about it. Same for MSFS. I have also frequently recognized X-Plane as a completely serious competitor to MSFS. We frequently interview folks from the X-Plane community - for example we had Austin Meyers on the show a year or two back.

To respond to the request for having a full time X-Plane expert host, that isn't going to happen. I would, however, be totally fine with having an X-Plane consultant that we would bring on from time to time to discuss X-Plane. Goran has asked me a few times to talk about certain X-Plane addons, I may consult Eric and perhaps invite Goran to join us on occasion - no promises though. His technical knowledge of X-Plane is impressive, for sure.

In the end, I'm very sad that you all think that X-Plane is neglected on the show. I think that we speak about it with a good amount of frequency. It is kind of unnecessary to go through and pretend to act surprised when we do speak about it. You aren't being forced to listen to the show so if you find it necessary to take our lack of X-Plane expertise as a personal attack, I recommend you don't listen to the show. I would hope that this statement isn't the truth because X-Plane is growing and will become a more popular sim once more addons like the CRJ come out, not to mention the impending release of X-Plane 10.

All the best,

Brendan Farmer

www.fsbreak.net

• 1 month later...

Keep up the good work Brendan. I'm a regular listener and I always enjoy the x-plane segments and discussions.

+1  :)  And congratulations to Brendan for his successful check-ride !

And this time, there's again something about X-Plane: the ATR 72-500 and the MD-600n:

http://www.fsbreak.net/podcast/2011/8/9/fsbreak-96-pmdg-737ngx-released-orbx-natureflow-and-more.html