SkyMAXX Pro

JohnMAXX

Seems like a good idea. That said, my eyes consistently focus on the apparent rotation of the billboards in here. Any reason why it seems so much more apparent here than default?

I assume this is basically blocks of 3D geometry with billboards tied in to always face the camera?

• Upvote 1

Parts of the clouds rotate intentionally, the clouds morph and change shape like the real thing and that rotation is part of that...... I think the vid might of speed up the rendering in X-plane, usually the rotations are a lot slower and more natural....

They are procedurally generated and sit in their own space when rendered.....The small rotating sections are billboards and there is a small increase of the rotation as the aircraft moves in the sim, but only noticeable if you are changing direction quickly..... 

Edited by JohnMAXX

Parts of the clouds rotate intentionally, the clouds morph and change shape like the real thing and that rotation is part of that...... I think the vid might of speed up the rendering in X-plane, usually the rotations are a lot slower and more natural....

Okay, I understand morphing and change of shape. I don't see that in the video though...just full on circular rotation. Maybe Dave can comment on whether he sped up the video? Would be really nice to see this without that if so. If your product truly doesn't rotate that fast, then I feel this doesn't do you justice for what you're trying to sell. It's highly distracting!

Okay, I understand morphing and change of shape. I don't see that in the video though...just full on circular rotation. Maybe Dave can comment on whether he sped up the video? Would be really nice to see this without that if so. If your product truly doesn't rotate that fast, then I feel this doesn't do you justice for what you're trying to sell. It's highly distracting!

We will get more vids out soon when we get further along....replay the image of the windsock and that's how these clouds look....I assure you :)

I added this to the post after your comment:

.....They are procedurally generated and sit in their own space when rendered.....The small rotating sections are billboards and there is a small increase of the rotation as the aircraft moves in the sim, but only noticeable if you are changing direction quickly.....

We will get more vids out soon when we get further along....replay the image of the windsock and that's how these clouds look....I assure you

I just had another run through. I don't think the video was sped up at all given the speed of flyby's, wing view, etc. Could be wrong, but it really doesn't appear that way.

....They are procedurally generated and sit in their own space when rendered.....The small rotating sections are billboards and there is a small increase of the rotation as the aircraft moves in the sim, but only noticeable if you are changing direction quickly.....

Thanks for that!

I think this really has the potential to be something everybody wants, and I like where it's heading. :)

How far along is this development wise? How does this interact with HDR and atmospheric scattering?

• Upvote 1

I just had another run through. I don't think the video was sped up at all given the speed of flyby's, wing view, etc. Could be wrong, but it really doesn't appear that way.

Thanks for that!

I think this really has the potential to be something everybody wants, and I like where it's heading. :)

How far along is this development wise? How does this interact with HDR and atmospheric scattering?

HDR is something we are working out now, the draw order changes when HDR is activated and we are getting some strange artifacts.   That's on the back burner for now, but we will have that sorted at some point....

Additionally we are talking with Ben, he offered to add a couple of datarefs to kill the default clouds in a later run.....Im getting decent performance now but once those default clouds are out things should skyrocket.....  For now Im using transparent png's :P

Yeah the flyby of the 747 right?  I am puzzled myself with that......Maybe I can get Dave here to explain that....

Oh another feature not shown in this video are Cumulonimbus Thunderheads.....They contain their own lightning and it will light up the cloud when it goes off.....A dramatic effect.....

Look forward to seeing how this develops...

Any plans to extend XP's weather systems?

Developers are always wanting access to weather data. If you're not sharing the data some how you need to.

Just tying into the default weather using the available datarefs  , there is a bug with real world weather we need to address.  When you have a fragmented cloud system the clouds will disappear suddenly.  Default fades in and out nicely......

Probably going to do some sort of workaround.....But yeah the access isn't available

Seems like a good idea. That said, my eyes consistently focus on the apparent rotation of the billboards in here. Any reason why it seems so much more apparent here than default?

I assume this is basically blocks of 3D geometry with billboards tied in to always face the camera?

Yes John is correct about the video speed up in rendering. These were scenes that I was using and capured in slow motion to achive maximum afftect. I did speed them up in rendering anywhere from 60 to 300% so yes the rotation of the clouds is not quite that fast in the simulation itself.

Yes John is correct about the video speed up in rendering. These were scenes that I was using and capured in slow motion to achive maximum afftect. I did speed them up in rendering anywhere from 60 to 300% so yes the rotation of the clouds is not quite that fast in the simulation itself.

That solves that! :)

Thanks, Dave!