Project 3

Goran_M

Lol, patience guys, patience. 

I'll throw up an update...

We're at the point now where it can take up to a day to test and re code just 1 system.  There are about 15 systems.  Most are working but a few need a bit of refining and there have been a couple more added.

The code has been made more efficient and condensed. 

Once the coding is done, that's it.  Testing will take a few days, if that. 

Also, a new bit of info.  A few days ago we had a small meeting about the difficulty of navigating using just VOR and NDB stations or following the numbers based on flight plans, speed and time.  I did take the Saab for a bit of a trip about a week ago and I can tell you, it can be a challenge to fly.  This isn't a "set it and forget it" aircraft.  You have to monitor quite a few things on takeoff and cruise, especially navigating.  So, in saying that, we'll probably be making 2 versions of the Saab.  A Saab with 2 Garmin 430's and a Saab without any Garmins.  So you can choose which one you would like to fly.  There were a few 340A's with 2 Garmins on the center console back in the 80's and 90's

Doing this will add literally no extra time since the Garmin has already been made and added to the UV map a lot earlier in the development.

Not long guys.

Oh come now... VOR navigation is real easy! I flew across the country in the MU2 along the airways using VOR navigation since I can't be bothered learning how to use the Garmin. I might hack together a UFMC file for the SAAB though, at least until the B version comes out. (but really, it's not hard at all to navigate using VOR's.)

You're making a version without Garmins? Excellent!! I have some weird issues about navigating by GPS, perhaps I should see a counsellor, but I much prefer lining up those little white needles and watching the numbers on the DME. Flying according to the flight-plan I sketched beforehand on a sheet of paper, much better than using the mouse to dial it into a simulated computer! The X-Plane stock Garmin has become a visual cliché in my eyes now because it seems that every plane (OK, nearly every good payware plane I've got so far - chronologically, MU-2, BK-117, Duchess, Falco) has it on the panel.

You're making a version without Garmins? Excellent!! I have some weird issues about navigating by GPS, perhaps I should see a counsellor, but I much prefer lining up those little white needles and watching the numbers on the DME. Flying according to the flight-plan I sketched beforehand on a sheet of paper, much better than using the mouse to dial it into a simulated computer!

That's what sucked me into flight simming in the first place.  I bought my first flight sim because I was at the comp store and saw it on the shelf and said, "I like airplanes."  Fiddled around with it, then dropped it for a bit, as it was too sandbox.  Then I picked up a tutorial on navigating via NDB and VOR and tried it out in the wee ol' Cessna 172 and have been hooked ever since.

Is there any chance you guys can throw us a bone… such as a showcase video? It would be nice to see this bird in action, plus it would 'wow' everyone and amp up anticipation even more. I suppose this is the most agonizing part of waiting, when the release is so close, yet seems so far. Oh, and one more thing...

The volcano looms…  :(

Is there any chance you guys can throw us a bone… such as a showcase video? It would be nice to see this bird in action, plus it would 'wow' everyone and amp up anticipation even more. I suppose this is the most agonizing part of waiting, when the release is so close, yet seems so far. Oh, and one more thing...

The volcano looms…  ;)

Yeah, that would be cool. Javier's video for the T-34C really built up my anticipation.

The volcano looms…  ;)

Right, take time out of development to make a video… that makes so much sense!

The volcano looms…  ;)

I've been wanting to get a video together for the last 2 weeks.  I have enough of the Saab done to actually make a decent video but I have to make sure other stuff gets done as quickly as possible.  Like you say, the volcano looms (but my wife will probably throw me in one, so I won't have to jump).  As soon as I have some spare time, I will definitely put together a video and post it.  I won't say when because I've been saying I'll do one every day for the last week and a half.  But it will be very soon.