What FSX People thinks about X-Plane 10 ..

Hueyman

Flight Simulator Network has a doozy of a thread, I tried, but not being a RL pilot, I'm not pursuing it any more. The guy brings up a 4 year old 'paper'?? I feel a certain dread when I land the 747, never get that feeling in fsx. There you'll see another quick vid I did of that cool Shuttle situation! I think he was slightly impressed, got that much out of him.

http://www.flightsim...0-world/unread/

I have 10 hours in a cessna 152, and have done about 30 landings (guess im not yet considered a pilot). Somtimes I do get that dread when landing in the 747. I guess can you just "feel" it, maybe it is the breakup of airflow overtop the wing as you come in.

But as far as those FSX people go, they will never change and obviously they see X-plane as a threat to their business. Edit: Monopoly, lol. I think that MSFS flight- model is generic for every single aircraft, and has no uniqueness to it. I definitely think that the flight model in X-plane is inherently better, although it has its issues. I think FSX is boring, real life flying is Never Boring, neither is X-plane. So, X-plane is more realistic.

I have 10 hours in a cessna 152, and have done about 30 landings (guess im not yet considered a pilot). Somtimes I do get that dread when landing in the 747. I guess can you just "feel" it, maybe it is the breakup of airflow overtop the wing as you come in.

But as far as those FSX people go, they will never change and obviously they see X-plane as a threat to their business. Edit: Monopoly, lol. I think that MSFS flight- model is generic for every single aircraft, and has no uniqueness to it. I definitely think that the flight model in X-plane is inherently better, although it has its issues. I think FSX is boring, real life flying is Never Boring, neither is X-plane. So, X-plane is more realistic.

Thanks for those impressions! I've never piloted (one day I will, at least to get the kid hooked), but I'm a dreamer, and I've always guessed that flying can't really be THAT boring like fsx portrays it. That's why I gave up on it recently - I was flying VRS' excellent F18, but realised that even it was a doddle, easy to hold in position.

The issue with FSX isn't that its too easy.. some planes are actually easy to flight ( I'm also a young pilot, 45 Hours in 152 ) but at least in X-Plane you have the feeling that your slightest action on any control have an importance.. trims etc..

a good feeling also with environnement, runway when land etc.. we feel there is a physic engine behind the scene

Well, I think this man resume all the problem :

" I think you're right... Unlike my French above, which was full of errors, in language, context and simple typographical. Sorry! I won't try again right now and if I do in future, I'll refer a little more to the French-English dictionary that supports this little notebook that I type on. icon_wink.gif

Anyway, there is a very defensive attitude from a lot of people within the X-Plane world, but some developers are now working for both sims and more will follow, depending on whether Flight is what some people think it will be, or what others think it will be. With developers like Carenado already developing for the sim, as I mentioned earlier, the VFR Photo Scenery for the UK is already available for X-Plane, Aerosoft have announced that they will be supporting it... The future is far from dim for X-Plane. However while the community remains so closed, with limited add-ons (both commercial and freeware) available from "major" download sites, then the XP community is still very closed and unlikely to draw more interest.

Avsim, for example, will very happily post freeware files from X-Plane, the same as they do for FSX, FS9, TRI Fly!, Looking Glass Flight Unlimited... They don't care what sim it is for and if more XP add-ons became available there, or at flightsim.com, simviation, or via the online stores such as simMarket for the commercial add-ons, you'll get significantly more exposure.

X-Plane does need more developers, yes, but the defensive, closed, "clique" environment isn't helping and nor is the abject ignorance of why people aren't already using X-Plane at the very top. There seems to be an attitude that people don't "understand" X-Plane or simply dismiss it out of hand. We don't. As Scott and others, including myself, have said earlier, we look at it and, right now, it simply doesn't meet the needs we have.

There's always a "clique" element in any competing products - be it X-Plane v MSFS, Tranz v Rail Simulator v MS Train Simulator, rFactor v SimBin titles or almost any other example (don't mention football!) - that will always be there, but yes, the walls do need to come down. My problem is that any attempt to breach them from one side seems to constantly result in frantic rebuilding efforts from the other, so people give up and the walls stay intact.

Rather than being jealous of what MSFS has, X-Plane needs to welcome people from the MSFS community in who want to work with X-Plane. It needs to talk to them, listen to their needs with being abusive and/or dismissive and work to help address those needs.

I've just been informed that Fish and Chips have arrived, so I'm going to limp off downstairs and be sociable/eat food. "

I think its silly to go into an FSX forum to try to get people to try and switch to X-Plane. Both sims have their benefits, and with enough work both can produce pretty good simulations of aircraft.

As Kieran has said, it really comes down to personal preference. If I had the room for it I would run both side by side. Instead, I have picked the one I feel is more realistic.

As far as I know it is a fact that the engine model in X-Plane is somewhat mediocre (I have no idea about FSX). I believe a few years ago Morten from the XPFW-group elaborated on this - and although I don't know I'm quite sure the engine performance on the IXEG B733 will be tweaked by a plug-in.

But inducing from that statement, that the whole simulation is flawed is of course incorrect.

As far as I know it is a fact that the engine model in X-Plane is somewhat mediocre (I have no idea about FSX). I believe a few years ago Morten from the XPFW-group elaborated on this - and although I don't know I'm quite sure the engine performance on the IXEG B733 will be tweaked by a plug-in.

But inducing from that statement, that the whole simulation is flawed is of course incorrect.

I wouldn't go so far as to say the engine model is flawed or mediocre so much as it does a reasonable job of simulating a broad range of types adequately. Try to close in on more accurate simulation of specific engine characteristics and you're unquestionably into plugin territory. For example a plugin is pretty much the only way to simulate low-bypass turbofans or supercharged piston engines accurately. A project with which I was involved got engine performance figures within 5% of reality using PlaneMaker but required a plugin to get any closer to real-life figures. The improvements were dramatic. Since IXEG have claimed 100% accuracy across the performance envelope there's no doubt they are using a very sophisticated plugin.

I agree broadly with namaui's comment regarding getting FSX users to migrate to X-Plane. Friends of mine who are long-time FS users (various versions) are impressed with many aspects of X-Plane but are simply not willing commit to another platform having invested so much time and money into FS itself and third-party aircraft and scenery add-ons. They are unanimously unimpressed with X-Plane's default aircraft, though it's fair to say that XP10 is still merely a demo and that the situation will undoubtedly improve. Their opinion was that less default aircraft designed to a higher standard would give a better idea of what X-Plane can achieve.

The problem is that this is just another Mac vs PC debate, it just comes down to personal preference (usually based on what you have been using for most of your life.), and OS in the case of FSX.

In reality, what would the guys around here think and say for that matter if we had a flux of FSX pilots coming in to try to push FSX in an all X-plane forum. Personally, I'd be happy if they just stayed over there. The hard core FSX users are so harsh, rude, and childish in those forums. I'd hate to see them in our forum all the time complaining about ever cotton-pickin stinkin thing. :)

I've read the one forum where Goran is really active and I don't see how Goran does it. Keeps his cool and answers every stupid question they throw at him, relative or not. Kudos Goran. If it were me, I would have already hung that on the wall to dry.

JB

In reality, what would the guys around here think and say for that matter if we had a flux of FSX pilots coming in to try to push FSX in an all X-plane forum. Personally, I'd be happy if they just stayed over there. The hard core FSX users are so harsh, rude, and childish in those forums. I'd hate to see them in our forum all the time complaining about ever cotton-pickin stinkin thing. :)

I've read the one forum where Goran is really active and I don't see how Goran does it. Keeps his cool and answers every stupid question they throw at him, relative or not. Kudos Goran. If it were me, I would have already hung that on the wall to dry.

JB

Yes this is so true.

I've been browsing the forums at avsim for over 10yrs and it's always been a pretty hostile place for Xplaners.... even in the Xplane forum. They even went as far as to pin a message about XPlane bashing and antagonistic posting against Xplane in the Xplane forum but the current group of moderators aren't interested in cleaning the mess up.

I thought I would throw myself on the sword by stooping to their level and I got banned.... of course with the beauty of the current batch of Ip hidding utilities it wasn't hard to log back in as a new user.

I think it's a hopeless case over there. It's gonna be hilarious if Flight bombs....but you know.... Xplaners just aren't the type to rub it in.

I've noticed that it's getting a little better now since I forced the closure of the "Xplane Demo thread" ;-) I think once Xplane 10 is tuned and the third party avalanch really takes off you'll see a different forum over there.

Avsim has always been a one sided organization. Remember Terminal Realities "Flight" They took a beating over there too..... the only thing that soften the tone toward Flight was the unfortunate passing of it's creator.. Richard Harvey. Damn that guy was a class act.

Craig

Update..... They just locked the "XPlane Demo is out". The personal attacks were starting to take Flight.....pun intended. ;-)

Edited by Bukko

JB

I work with a 19 year old.

nuff said...

(you know I love you, Theo!) :P

In all seriousness, I don't know WHY I do it. Maybe I just like helping people too much.

Haha. Goran missed the usual opportunity- Theo is also a New Zealander, Goz needs danger money for that. :-)

I spat my coffee out ages ago when I heard how young Theo was! You have a big future theo, youll be famous when you are older (21). Learning Blender I'm appreciating his challenges!! But for some reason I haven't been blendering the last week..