Dash 8 Q400

Normally, I can run with extreme res pretty well. While the Dash ran OK on it, it did drop to 19 FPS. I had to lower the res to really high. I'm getting between 25 and 30 FPS now with that. The SSJ has the same issue, but worse.

One more thing, the flight model is a blast. I'm yet to have a landing that I'm satisfied with. ;D That should keep me busy for a while....

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One more thing, the flight model is a blast. I'm yet to have a landing that I'm satisfied with. ;D That should keep me busy for a while....

I think you meant to say "not" satisfied with...as in you're a happy camper.

That said, you must know a secret. There's been some debate on the flight model front thus far.

http://xplane10.wordpress.com/2011/04/22/fly-j-sim-dash-8-q400-a-quick-look-around-and-some-first-impressions/

I think you meant to say "not" satisfied with...as in you're a happy camper.

That said, you must know a secret. There's been some debate on the flight model front thus far.

http://xplane10.wordpress.com/2011/04/22/fly-j-sim-dash-8-q400-a-quick-look-around-and-some-first-impressions/

and do read my reply on the blog post.

not only has Chip failed to understand how to properly test Stall number, but he didn't even bother to install Gizmo.

and do read my reply on the blog post.

It's rather bold. I don't agree with much of it. Seems rather silly to me of you to question a persons integrity after requesting them so feverishly to review your product. Comes with the territory. Welcome to payware. This arena is not for you if you cannot handle criticism.

not only has Chip failed to understand how to properly test Stall number, but he didn't even bother to install Gizmo.

And? Clearly irrelevant in the flight model department.

i have clearly states how to get the proper numbers, i like feedback, so don't say i don't.

And not having Gizmo installed to begin with shows how dedicated they are to getting a proper review. And second of all, how would you know how feverishly we requested them to do a review of our product.  Cause unless you are pulling the string over at the Xplane10 blog, you don't.

I simple asked Simon to give the Q400 a fair look over. Which they agreed to. I also asked them to take their time and not to rush into reviewing it, which they did not do.

and yeah, a lot of it is positive, but i have a lot of pride in the flight model, so i only feel so obligated to defend it.

I don't think Chip was being negative there. He quoted,"...yet I have a feeling this accurately recreates the aerodynamic properties of this aircraft. It has a squirrelly reputation for low speed manners and I’m not going to fault the ACF at this point."

Chip was just saying that the characteristics are strange. That doesn't mean they are not realistic. I don't think he was trying to down play or attack your work in any way. He clearly stated he had a feeling the flight was realistic. I interpreted it as an observation, not criticism of your work.

i have clearly states how to get the proper numbers, i like feedback, so don't say i don't.

Should be "stated."

i like feedback, so don't say i don't.

Your comments state otherwise unless it is good feedback. I stand by my statement about criticism. You're doing a good job of demonstrating my point clearly at the moment.

And not having Gizmo installed to begin with shows how dedicated they are to getting a proper review.

Maybe you should read more some time. First looks vs reviews. Time of night, and reasonings for a post. It would probably help you out.

And second of all, how would you know how feverishly we requested them to do a review of our product.  Cause unless you are pulling the string over at the Xplane10 blog, you don't.

Birds. Their songs travel near and far. ;) I think you just contradicted yourself though. You just tried to tell me you didn't push a request, but then suggested if I know such things I must be "pulling the string." For one you're wrong, but again, you're helping to prove my point...

I simple asked Simon to give the Q400 a fair look over. Which they agreed to. I also asked them to take their time and not to rush into reviewing it, which they did not do.

I think you meant simply. Anyhow, I find their first look pretty fair. Pretty well written compared to most reviews I find in a magazine at that.

and yeah, a lot of it is positive, but i have a lot of pride in the flight model, so i only feel so obligated to defend it.

Great. Have pride. People don't agree with you. :P

I don't think Chip was being negative there. He quoted,"...yet I have a feeling this accurately recreates the aerodynamic properties of this aircraft. It has a squirrelly reputation for low speed manners and I’m not going to fault the ACF at this point."

Chip was just saying that the characteristics are strange. That doesn't mean they are not realistic. I don't think he was trying to down play or attack your work in any way. He clearly stated he had a feeling the flight was realistic. I interpreted it as an observation, not criticism of your work.

Perhaps i interpreted what he wrote wrong and perhaps i expected to much.

I just ask that they do take a further look at her. With the flight model how it is, it will take a few good flights to really get a feel for her.

Perhaps i interpreted what he wrote wrong and perhaps i expected to much.

I just ask that they do take a further look at her. With the flight model how it is, it will take a few good flights to really get a feel for her.

I think he will. He said that he wouldn't fault with it at that point. You could probably infer that he will do so in a formal review.

Anyway, great product. Nobody is trying to put down your hard work on this ACF.

I purchased it last night, but won't be able to download until Sunday or Monday. Looking forward to learn how to fly this thing.

I was shocked to see the plane was released without a big shout about it. It was a coincidence I scrolled by this section of the forum and saw this topic had some activity. Since I've been waiting for this one, I wanted to see if there was any progress..

Oh and one thing. Which liveries are included? Will you make new liveries? Is there a paint kit? I'm really hoping for Wideroe.

A release with (nearly) no obvious bugs*. That's a good effort, and I am having fun with this plane - although I usually don't fly such big birds. But it's fast, and doing a 300nm leg under an hour time is pretty cool. Since you asked, frame rates on my machine are just fine as with any other well done bird. I feel nearly no impact whatsoever with the Dash8.

* Here's one: autopilot status graphics when HDG activated and LOC selected, then the two indications overlap each other.

Cause unless you are pulling the string over at the Xplane10 blog, you don't.

I've refrained from making any posts about this topic, primarily as I am extremely busy, but also because I haven't purchased the Dash and can not form any opinion except for those based on screenshots, but I have to jump on this.

Jack, I think you are way out of line to even let this thought (the one I quoted) enter your head.  Yes, you did say "unless you are pulling the strings...", but that kind of comment still has no place in this thread.  The reason I am saying this is because I, personally, (and Chip and/or Simon can freely comment on this) told Chip to be as brutally honest as he wanted to be on the Duchess and Sundowner reviews.  The same goes for the Saab review if and when they do review it.  To forget about being "nice" on any level when it came to reviewing anything Theo and I make.  And I even told you the same thing before you reviewed the Duchess.  Just keep it HONEST

No one in XA is pulling the strings over there.  We have absolutely no pull whatsoever with Chip and Simon.  No one owes anyone any favours between XA and the XP10 blogs.  Chip and Simon are completely independent and to make any kind of suggestion otherwise is totally inappropriate.

Other than that, I do wish you well on this add on and hope it brings you what you set out to achieve with it. 

Reading the entire review I'd say it is overall rather fair and informative. Personally the price-point and the "troublesome" reasons for accepting a free copy for reviewing are quite overdone but maybe I have different standards.

Again personally: perhaps a more appreciative yet critical and constructive attitude wouldn't be out of the way. A discipline I overall think they managed ok in the review.

Best regards

Mikkel

EDIT: Btw, it looks like a great acft. As others have pointed out it will be a killer addon with a custom FMC (either via vasfmc or your own)!

As of yet I am still pondering whether or not to purchase the aircraft.  So far I have read the review (which seems objective, and to the point, like all other XP10 reviews), I am in the process of asking people I know who have purchased, or are considering purchasing, and just generally asking questions...

So far I have noticed in every screen shot of the Dash, it always appears as if the engines are shut down and the props are stopped, why is this?  Is this some sort of 3D special effect prop animation gone awry (like the BK-117 when at some angles and in clouds the rotors appear distorted)?

Anyway, I'm still waiting more information, and would like more responses from the development team with regards to what they are considering to improve the model, and also just answering questions and concerns in an objective manner.  No need for personal attacks or flame wars...

We don't use a 2d prop disc, the props spin in 3d. Each screenshot only captures the prop as it is in that second, since X-Plane does not show the motion blur.

Aside from bug fixes reported by users (very few fortunately), some of what we are planning includes:

Adding in all of the EFIS display pages that can be selected by the flight deck crew

Adding in more of the sounds that the plane actually makes (various cautions and warnings that X-Plane does not play)

Completely simulating the Universal FMC that the Dash line of aircraft actually uses

Continuing to add to the custom systems.

As I've said before, all updates will of course be free to existing users.

If you have any questions please feel free to ask ;)

We don't use a 2d prop disc, the props spin in 3d. Each screenshot only captures the prop as it is in that second, since X-Plane does not show the motion blur.

Aside from bug fixes reported by users (very few fortunately), some of what we are planning includes:

Adding in all of the EFIS display pages that can be selected by the flight deck crew

Adding in more of the sounds that the plane actually makes (various cautions and warnings that X-Plane does not play)

Completely simulating the Universal FMC that the Dash line of aircraft actually uses

Continuing to add to the custom systems.

As I've said before, all updates will of course be free to existing users.

Everything sounds good, except the prop...

http://www.flyjsim.com/index.php

Let me just direct you to the link above, why do the splashed images at the top of the site show Dash 8's with blurred props?  Sure they look to be early development versions, but why has that been removed from the model now? 

A few comments from MSFS users over at the Flight Sim Economy forum have been why are the engines stopped in flight?  Might be something worth looking into, simply to make it look a bit better in screenshots.

The simple answer to why is it different is we changed it ;)

We tried all sorts of 2d props which look ok from the front and the back, but bad from the sides, and cause issues of making some clouds transparent.

Then we tried a combination of 2d and 3d prop, which looked a bit better from the side but much worse from the front, and again had the issues with the cloud transparency.

So Jack and I decided to get rid of the 2d prop completely, and it looks wonderful from the side, and good from the front, plus keeps the clouds as solid as they get :P. The side effect of that choice means that the prop looks still in screenshots. However, if you have a fast enough shutter speed it is completely possible to get real life photographs of the real plane that look almost the same as the x-plane screenshots. See for example: http://i.ytimg.com/vi/emnZaC1jF_4/0.jpg

EDIT: Keep in mind that the 2d prop disc is only one pixel thick, so you can barely see them from the side.

My opinion is that the props look quite weird when running, especially from certain angles and would prefer them to look more like props on other planes when spinning.

I can't comment that this would look better or worse as obviously the devs have done this already.

That said, it doesn't ruin a great plane.