AP SBY always on

Ch.Cole

14 hours ago, Ch.Cole said:

V2.0.2
My SBY button is always lit, even with e.g. HDG and ALT also lit, AP engaged, and AP following the heading and holding altitude.

There has been some assumptions made about how this is to operate, and documentation on the SBY mode was slim.

I've just spoken to some people with an in at Honeywell and we'll get this proper in a future update now that I have a clear understanding of how this mode should work.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, alexcolka said:

4 blade GNS v2.0.2

In this instance, if you have a route in the GNS you would want to engage HDG mode, and the down by the yoke you will see a button for GPS Steering (GPSS). This will send heading commands from the GNS to the autopilot for your route.

23 hours ago, Cameron said:

In this instance, if you have a route in the GNS you would want to engage HDG mode, and the down by the yoke you will see a button for GPS Steering (GPSS). This will send heading commands from the GNS to the autopilot for your route.

Thank you Cameron, I was about to ask for that procedure.

On 8/12/2022 at 5:39 AM, Cameron said:

There has been some assumptions made about how this is to operate, and documentation on the SBY mode was slim.

I've just spoken to some people with an in at Honeywell and we'll get this proper in a future update now that I have a clear understanding of how this mode should work.

I understand that there's some uncertainty, but I'm quite sure that the SBY button and the HDG/ALT shouldn't be illuminated at the same time, and nearly certain, that with SBY pressed and illuminated, the AP shouldn't still follow HDG when I change the selected heading.

But from my experience with you guys, it will only take a short time, and the plane will keep getting better :)

56 minutes ago, Ch.Cole said:

I understand that there's some uncertainty, but I'm quite sure that the SBY button and the HDG/ALT shouldn't be illuminated at the same time, and nearly certain, that with SBY pressed and illuminated, the AP shouldn't still follow HDG when I change the selected heading.

But from my experience with you guys, it will only take a short time, and the plane will keep getting better :)

Confirmed in this video

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/11/2022 at 8:34 AM, Ch.Cole said:

My SBY button is always lit, even with e.g. HDG and ALT also lit, AP engaged, and AP following the heading and holding altitude.

So finally got this figured out.  Originally, I could find no indication or documentation of when the SBY button should be illuminated or extinguished with no other modes active....mostly how do you extinguish the thing at all....so in the interim I tied it to the Flight director..which is of course ON when the other modes are active, which is why the SBY light shows with other modes active (clearly wrong).   But the question remained about what powers the thing?  i.e. can the SBY light ever be off during normal ops?  So it turns out, being part of the SPZ-500 system, it initially illuminates whenever the Radio busses are powered, so its always READY to accept a flight director mode entry.  Naturally then, it extinguishes only when the radio busses are powered off or other modes are active.  This can be seen in the above video at 8:11 and 8:29, where during rollout, its clearly on (but the AP servos are not)....and when he pulls in to park, its off...but so is the GPS, indicating he flipped off the radio master switches.   So during nominal operation, the SBY will always be lit when no other FD mode is active.  This will be implemented in the next update patch.

-TK

Edited by tkyler
  • Like 4