CTD SR22 When loading aircraft

oalabdullah

Hey!

There is a pesky bug we are dealing with. Can you make sure to  try the following steps:

1. Load into the X-Plane default C172
  2. In the plugin menu, go to Gizmo -> Windows -> X-Aviation Licensing
  3. Hit the reload license button on the window that pops up. Make sure that the SR22 is now displayed in the list of aircraft. 
  4. Load the SR22

If that doesn't work, please send the log.txt again after that happens! We are looking into the root cause of the issue with the highest priority right now.

30 minutes ago, oalabdullah said:

Thank you! That has fixed the issue, but it seems now engine start is impossible.

I will wait for the next update and try it then.

Thanks again for your prompt help.

Q8Pilot

Is the starter cranking, but it just won't turn over? This can happen (rather easily) if the engine was flooded. The IO-550 is very finicky with getting the right fuel in to prime, too much and it won't go easily. Prime it for a second or two (three max). Then boost pump on, throttle to 1/4", mixture rich and crank the starter. This process works like a charm for me.

1 hour ago, oalabdullah said:

I will wait for the next update and try it then.

Indeed. Please try the above what Coop said.

This engine is intended to react this way. It's NOT an easy engine to start in real life. CitationMax actually covered this from his in real life experiences on his livestream the other day.

8 hours ago, Coop said:

Is the starter cranking, but it just won't turn over? This can happen (rather easily) if the engine was flooded. The IO-550 is very finicky with getting the right fuel in to prime, too much and it won't go easily. Prime it for a second or two (three max). Then boost pump on, throttle to 1/4", mixture rich and crank the starter. This process works like a charm for me.

I do EXACTLY as you describe.  I follow this procedure as carefully as I possibly can.   I am looking at a 1 out of 10 success rate.   It's so frustrating that I've resorted to "engine running" starts which I hate after eight or nine unsuccessful attempts.   Maybe I'll eventually get the hang of it but I have a twenty year old chainsaw that is easier to start than this half-million dollar airplane.

• Like 1

@snomhf this is what I do and consistently get starts.

1. Mixture + throttle to full
  2. Prime for three seconds - no more than that or it floods (high boost/prime) then turn back off.
  3. throttle to 1/4" open
  4. turn key to crank for 2-3 seconds.

If while turning the key it seems like it doesn't want to crank, while cranking bring throttle to idle and ease back up slowly. It will turn over. Once warm it start just about instantly.

• Upvote 1

Thanks qazme.   I guess I'm not priming long enough.   I have become scared to death to prime and have been releasing after only a second or two.  I actually have been using the throttle as you describe although I seem to always crank for at least 30 seconds.   I guess I just have to practice some more.  Seems silly that you have to follow such a strict protocol.   I may just write a Lua script to do this once I figure out the exact sequence.

Thanks again!

Cheers!

-mark

Airplanes all have their quirks - the engines that go in them much more. The IO is more akin to cranking a push mower than a car so it can be a bit picky from what I've heard/seen from the real planes and seen in the simulation of it. I feel like it's accurate within reason and once you get the hang of it it won't take any time to start it. The problem with most piston A/C for simulation is they do not accurately model the complexity of actually starting the engine past making sure you have fuel turned on and the key set to start. This one goes a step or two further it seems - or maybe it's a quirky simulation. But it feels realistic from experience.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Coop said:

Hey!

There is a pesky bug we are dealing with. Can you make sure to  try the following steps:

1. Load into the X-Plane default C172
  2. In the plugin menu, go to Gizmo -> Windows -> X-Aviation Licensing
  3. Hit the reload license button on the window that pops up. Make sure that the SR22 is now displayed in the list of aircraft. 
  4. Load the SR22

If that doesn't work, please send the log.txt again after that happens! We are looking into the root cause of the issue with the highest priority right now.

Had the same issue as Q8Pilot when I first installed the SR22. When I reinstalled and then loaded with default C172 I had the Gizmo licence request for email and password come up even though it was the C172 and not an x-aviation plane, as soon as I had entered both and waited for it to complete registration XP crashed. I've attached my log file.

Log_270720_SR22.txt Log.txt

35 minutes ago, oalabdullah said:

Thank you all for your help. I tried loading the aircraft again and now, I am getting CTDs again.

Unfortunately repeating the steps that worked earlier no longer work. I am attaching the log for further analysis

Log.txt 202.32 kB · 0 downloads

Hi Sam,

I was suffering constant CTDs, despite the Gizmo activation going ok and the licence being shown as activated.   The solution that finally got me flying in the SR22 was to do the opposite of the advice, to load the Laminar C172 first.   

After several uninstall/reinstalls, when I finally tried for the first time to simply launch X-Plane and load the SR22 directly, it worked without issue.

It seems the "Load the C172 first" advice isn't always the best route.

Good luck.

David @ EGNT

Edited by JYW
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, oalabdullah said:

Thank you all for your help. I tried loading the aircraft again and now, I am getting CTDs again.

Unfortunately repeating the steps that worked earlier no longer work. I am attaching the log for further analysis

Log.txt 202.32 kB · 0 downloads

We are still working on this (most annoying) pesky CTD bug; in the meantime, can you try what @JYW said and just see if loading straight into the SR22 works?

We have made some significant progress in debugging the issue. While we are still working on a fix to get everything back to normal,  we seem to have found a potential aggregator, why some people are getting CTDs all the time, and others nearly never. 

If you have any Lua based plugins installed, these seem to be what is aggravating the issue to lead to the CTD. This is not an issue with those other plugins, but removing them temporarily seems to be a potential remedy to get you flying for now until we get an official fix out there. 

If you are experiencing the CTDs, if you can, please test by temporarily removing all Lua-affiliated plugins (with the exception of Gizmo) and test? I want to reiterate, this is not an issue with Lua, or those plugins, but simply a symptom of the deeper issue we are working on.

• Like 1