Take Command! IXEG 737 Classic v1.3 Update Released!

Cameron

I am also a bit curious about some issues. After having done such an amazing work of simulating most of the complex systems, how can it be that difficult to calculate the fuel predictions? I am just asking because it should simply be one line of a formula depending on the currecnt consumption, the distance and the dicrease in weight...i guess there should exist a simple formula and the result could the simply be shown in the FMC. Again: it's not a critic it's only a question...i can perfectly understand that other issues are much more difficult to do but in my opinion the fuel predictions could have been implemented quite simply. But i may be wrong ;)

It is more difficult than it appears yes.  variation in winds alone change all predictions.  If you have a 200kt headwind and are flying with thrust for 200kt, you'll go nowhere an burn all your fuel. .  If you climb vertically while doing it, your fuel burn rates will change, complicating gthings more..and if the wind speed changes as you climb, it gets even tougher.  The real FMS uses a "step integration method" for prediction.....and the only way that could ever be accurate in X-Plane is if we had access to the real performance database of the aircraft...which we don't as its proprietary.  So we have to use a few heuristics and our own test data, that I'm sure we can improve upon,  but its not as straightforward as it looks.  We'll revisit that aspect of the FMS also

-tkyler

• Like 4

would like to start by saying that this is the TOP OF LINE Aircraft for Xplane in my opinion ... I enjoy flying it so much.
I did run into a little issue with the update and hoping you can help ... when flying at night the flood light for the mcp panel works fine how ever when adjusting the main panel lights all other panel lights will come on in the cockpit except the mcp backlights ... the light up lables for the buttons specificly on the mcp panel, however the flood light for the mcp works

not sure if its a bug or if im missing something like a seperate lighting knob ... i have done a fresh install of the aircraft with no success from the issue...

I started looking aroumd on youtube to see if anyone else had videos with the same issue and attached a screenshot of Jan Vogel's video of the 1.3 release compaired to a previous version where the backlights on the labels on the mcp are visible to show where my question is comming from. To clerify ... the backlights around the knob rings and buttons

Thank you for your time.

Screenshot_20200605-124216_YouTube.jpg

Screenshot_20200605-124545_YouTube.jpg

56 minutes ago, Rampitup46 said:

would like to start by saying that this is the TOP OF LINE Aircraft for Xplane in my opinion ... I enjoy flying it so much.
I did run into a little issue with the update and hoping you can help ... when flying at night the flood light for the mcp panel works fine how ever when adjusting the main panel lights all other panel lights will come on in the cockpit except the mcp backlights ... the light up lables for the buttons specificly on the mcp panel, however the flood light for the mcp works

Hi and thanks for the nice words. I am sure you have seen this video, where I answer the question you are asking in detail (it has been up for a few days...)

• Like 1

I had seen the 1.3 video but somehow managed to overlook the 1.31 video as it does answer my question clearly ... I feel a little silly now that I overlooked something so obvious lol but i really do appreciate all the hard work in development that yall have done with this magnificent bird and I'm looking forward to more of your great work in the future

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tkyler said:

It is more difficult than it appears yes.  variation in winds alone change all predictions.  If you have a 200kt headwind and are flying with thrust for 200kt, you'll go nowhere an burn all your fuel. .  If you climb vertically while doing it, your fuel burn rates will change, complicating gthings more..and if the wind speed changes as you climb, it gets even tougher.  The real FMS uses a "step integration method" for prediction.....and the only way that could ever be accurate in X-Plane is if we had access to the real performance database of the aircraft...which we don't as its proprietary.  So we have to use a few heuristics and our own test data, that I'm sure we can improve upon,  but its not as straightforward as it looks.  We'll revisit that aspect of the FMS also

-tkyler

Thanks Tyler. Of course the winds will affect the groundspeed. So we should take the groundspeed into account to calculate the fuel consumption. So it could be done either based on the actual ground speed or more accurately according to the winds entered into the FMC, even the average groundspeed based on the averag winds should give a pretty accurate estimation if reproducing it exactly like the real plane would not be possible. But i have to admit it was just a first though out of nowhere.

Great to hear that you are looking at it in future. With the new version 1.3 i rediscovered that great plane again. Thanks for your great contribution and your great way of interacting with us :)

Edited by frankbyte

2 hours ago, frankbyte said:

Thanks Tyler. Of course the winds will affect the groundspeed. So we should take the groundspeed into account to calculate the fuel consumption. So it could be done either based on the actual ground speed or more accurately according to the winds entered into the FMC, even the average groundspeed based on the averag winds should give a pretty accurate estimation if reproducing it exactly like the real plane would not be possible. But i have to admit it was just a first though out of nowhere.

Great to hear that you are looking at it in future. With the new version 1.3 i rediscovered that great plane again. Thanks for your great contribution and your great way of interacting with us :)

The whole concept of lateral and vertical navigation ties into the Progress page. The 4-dimensional position of the aircraft, environment, weight and operational parameters will all affect what is shown on that page. It is not simple, unfortunately.

The ground speed is the basis for the progression of the aircraft along the lateral path. This will determine the time estimates along the route to the destination.

The ground speed for each segment of the flight is dependent on aircraft speed (operational), aircraft altitude, temperature and wind. It may be changing at several points along the route.

The fuel flow for each segment also changes with altitude, airspeed, temperature and weight.

Of course this is just the "planning progress". Now, as the plane advances along the route, you have to recalculate (every few seconds), because now the actual airspeed and actual wind have to be factored in (and faded out along the route towards the planned value).

So we have plans to implement all of that - we believe in getting a feature right instead of somehow approximating it - wherever possible.

Cheers, Jan

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Litjan said:

The whole concept of lateral and vertical navigation ties into the Progress page. The 4-dimensional position of the aircraft, environment, weight and operational parameters will all affect what is shown on that page. It is not simple, unfortunately.

The ground speed is the basis for the progression of the aircraft along the lateral path. This will determine the time estimates along the route to the destination.

The ground speed for each segment of the flight is dependent on aircraft speed (operational), aircraft altitude, temperature and wind. It may be changing at several points along the route.

The fuel flow for each segment also changes with altitude, airspeed, temperature and weight.

Of course this is just the "planning progress". Now, as the plane advances along the route, you have to recalculate (every few seconds), because now the actual airspeed and actual wind have to be factored in (and faded out along the route towards the planned value).

So we have plans to implement all of that - we believe in getting a feature right instead of somehow approximating it - wherever possible.

Cheers, Jan

OK, yeah I see...its always much more complicated than we may imagine. I prefectly understand. At least its fantastic how accurate you want to have it simulated. That's really great. Thumbs up :)

Edited by frankbyte
  • Like 1

• Cameron locked and unpinned this topic