MU-2 progress towards update

tkyler

First, my apologies for prompting this type of response in this thread.  I didn't intend to turn this into a "rant" type thread.

I guess I don't understand why you don't understand. How any of this can be puzzling to you is odd.  :) I only wish I had enough posts to see how ridiculous your vaporware topic reported on by xsimreviews was.

Holy cow!  The "I don't understand" comment was simply rhetorical.  Literally, I DO understand.  As for the vaporware topic, if you've never read it, how can you call it ridiculous?  You may want to hold that judgement until you've had the opportunity to read it for yourself.  It was only posted to provoke some thought and discussion, much like several of the "is it ready?" type comments in this very thread and other threads about upcoming projects.  I never intended it to be offensive.  Some would think it was poor taste while others can see the humor in it.  I don't care how you wish to interpret it, but you really should withhold judgement until you've actually read it.

... and it was promised as a free update, as well as labeled 1.5.

Indeed, it was promised, long before V10 came along, as a free update.....for V9.7.  And then along came V10 and all of a sudden, the promised update for V9.7 was dumped.  Hence, my disappointment that it will not be available, as promised, for V9.7.  I bought X-Plane V10 within minutes of it being released, so that's not the issue.  The issue I have with this "update" is that a V9.7 update was promised and it's not going to be delivered.  Thus, my "suggestion" that this version be called V2.

There is no pre-requisite to follow the "Steven Winslow" way of things, is there?

Huh?  Let me clarify my intent, since some of you seem to misinterpret nearly everything I post.  I'm only expressing my opinion just as other members of this forum post theirs.  I think this update, even though I haven't seen it, DESERVES to be called V2.  It's a positive affirmation, not a negative dig.  I'm not suggesting it has to be done "my" way.  Although I am, as I've already stated, disappointed it won't be available for V9.7. I doubt I am the only MU-2 customer who will be disappointed.  I think anyone who bought the MU-2 during the V9 run and was promised an update to that product will feel a bit let down.  

I thank the efforts of Tom, Ben, and Cameron here for all they have done. While some like Steven enjoy to complain.....

I, too, appreciate all their efforts.  That's why my post starts with my expression of appreciation.  Tom is a talented developer and great asset to the X-Plane community, as is Ben.  Cameron is an astute businessman.  Contrary to what you may think, I do not "enjoy" complaining.  I do, however, enjoy standing up for things I believe in.  

I see your point; however, the software world is a bit more fluid than that and I've been rolling with it for 35 years. 

Thanks for seeing my point.  That's all I really wanted by making post #647.  It is, indeed, a MAJOR update and I'm sure it's a doozie!  As a user of Photoshop for as long as I can remember, I understand a bit about the fluidity of the software world.  

I see your point; however, the software world is a bit more fluid than that and I've been rolling with it for 35 years.   But I tell you what...I will honor your feelings this weekend!   the "update" (so called)  will be free for all other existing customers, but you can pay 24.95 for it (it will be on sale ;) ) and call it a "verion 2.0"...

Now that's funny!  Well played, my friend!

...if you think I'm such a dishonorable vendor..

I never implied that, Tom, nor do I think you are anything but honorable.  I have great respect for your work.  I know how personal your work is to you, but I don't mean anything personal by my posts.

..but since it's vaporware anyhow, its not like it was going to be real for you anyway...

Heh!  Well played again, Tom!

...Some people get it, some don't.

Oh, I get it, Tom.  I certainly get it and I accept it.  Just voicing my disappointment that it won't be V9.7.  I know V10 is way "cooler" and I do fly V10 from time to time, but there are things in V9.7 that I enjoy a lot more than V10.  Change is good, but not always better.  While there are many things that are "better" in V10, V9.7 still has a lot to offer and it is still a viable product that is still available directly from Laminar and other outlets.

Thank you again, Tom, for all your work with the MU-2 and the work you do at Laminar.  Thank you, Ben, for your efforts with Gizmo. Thank you, Cameron, for providing way to bring these great products to market.  And thank you, Cameron, for building a site where thoughts and opinions can be shared freely.

Edited by steven winslow

Just voicing my disappointment that it won't be V9.7

Software is an odd beast that folks don't generally do not view as having a "shelf life" like they do say cars or an appliance, but from my perspective they really do.   X-Plane is in an adolescent awkward phase relative to the entire market and this stuff happens.  My final assessment is I'd much rather have it this way than any other way thought.  Thanks for the sentiments Steven, we'll keep working on good products.

TK

• Upvote 1

As for the vaporware topic, if you've never read it, how can you call it ridiculous?

I didn't have to read it to know or assume it to be ridiculous. Xsimreviews did a piece, and there has been talk in other forums of your topic. Let's just say I found there to be pretty much not a single person who seems to find this type of post humorous.

Indeed, it was promised, long before V10 came along, as a free update.....for V9.7.  And then along came V10 and all of a sudden, the promised update for V9.7 was dumped.  Hence, my disappointment that it will not be available, as promised, for V9.7.  I bought X-Plane V10 within minutes of it being released, so that's not the issue.  The issue I have with this "update" is that a V9.7 update was promised and it's not going to be delivered.  Thus, my "suggestion" that this version be called V2.

You know, this was discussed a LONG time ago in this thread. For starters, this topic doesn't represent or say "promise" to me anywhere for any version. What it does do is show a long standing thread from conception to release of an intended update.

I too am an original adopter but I am in no way disappointed by the decision to bring this product "with the times". I'm actually really excited about it, and would have been rather ticked had it NOT been brought up to the 10 standard.

First, my apologies for prompting this type of response in this thread.  I didn't intend to turn this into a "rant" type thread.

I guess that's twice now you've gotten responses in a manner you weren't intending as of late...

You know, this was discussed a LONG time ago in this thread. For starters, this topic doesn't represent or say "promise" to me anywhere for any version. What it does do is show a long standing thread from conception to release of an intended update.

Indeed it was. In October of 2012 it was announced this update would be for version 10 only in this very thread.

Let me clarify my intent, since some of you seem to misinterpret nearly everything I post.

If everyone misinterprets that's usually a clear indication that you're not being clear or not thinking clearly. You can't blame everyone else for thinking the same way (as evidently we all do since we continue to all misinterpret you). I'd say given the majority in that analysis, the problem does not lie with us.

I'm actually really excited about it, and would have been rather ticked had it NOT been brought up to the 10 standard.

You represent about 99% of our customer base with this statement. We can't please everyone, and we have to continue to progress forward for the well being of our business, our customers, and the health of X-Plane's community as a whole. Allocating resources to a continually declining customer base driven platform (version 9) is not in our best interests, nor in the products best interests, nor even in our customers' best interests as a group majority and longterm outlook. 

If everyone misinterprets that's usually a clear indication that you're not being clear or not thinking clearly.

Okay, I'll work on my delivery.  What one person thinks is creative writing another thinks is drivel.  I'll work on being more plain in my posts to leave no doubt.  However, I can't help it if some take things so personally.  

I'm actually really excited about it, and would have been rather ticked had it NOT been brought up to the 10 standard.

Couldn't agree with you more, Corey.  I never said I wasn't excited about the V10 version.

Gizmo 64-bit works with Ubuntu now doesn't it? So I'll probably be migrating from XP9.7 on 32-bit Vista to XP10 on Ubuntu. Absolutely I'm not spending money (or obtaining an illegal licence) for 64-bit Windows right now.

No, Linux isn't yet supported but is planned eventually at the moment. For now the focus is on Mac and Windows, so that will be how we will initially launch more than likely.

mhmm. So the race is on: which will arrive first: Ubuntu Gizmo 64-bit, or my rudder pedals from the UK? When I have both, I'll be able to enjoy the new MU-2!

(Or I could buy a modern Windows licence. But there's a lot of things for me to pay for first.)

Hey guys.  So we did not quite make it out on the weekend....but we have been on it the entire weekend and still are now....and as it typically the case, the work has resulted in some tangential work being performed that a release usually brings to light as having been needed.    It should  be out in a day or so at worst,  we are actually working on the web store page to show the new features and such for new customers, but the Moo work is done as is the what's new docs and the manual has been revamped.  So not too much longer. 

TomK

• Upvote 3

Very happy! Thanks! :D

@ Hobofat ... an around the world trip sounds like an ideal way for a first  outing in 64bit Moo!

I've been wanting to do one for a long time -- can't think of any better aircraft than the Moo.  Great visuals for all the time I'll be spending in the cockpit, great handling for an actual flight experience (rather than point and click flying), and can fly high and fast or a bit lower and slower for gorgeous scenery.  Great thing about the simulator is that fuel costs are irrelevant :D   

• Upvote 1

UPDATE....Cameron is reworking the core product page of the Moo and is at about 95% but  hit a few programming challenges that are taking some hours to work through, though the effort is warranted.   We've been doing 15 hour days to it seems like one big long day to us for the last 3 days...but this is our current task and when its done, the Moo will go out.

TK

• Upvote 2

Will the moo suffer from the lua windows memory issue that is haunting XP10.21?

BenR mentioned the moo uses gizmo (but only for activation management if I remember correctly). Any idea about that?

BTW, where is my moo activation key again? Anyone seen it :unsure: ...

Cheers

Flo

Get some sleep, it's only some crazy flightsim nerds banging on your door...

Will the moo suffer from the lua windows memory issue that is haunting XP10.21?

Yes. In what scenarios or if ever it will occur for you is another story though. On my windows dev machine with everything cranked up I am unable to flop the sim, but I am sure someone out there may be able to hit that wall.

BenR mentioned the moo uses gizmo (but only for activation management if I remember correctly). Any idea about that?

Entire plane is driven by Gizmo.

• Upvote 1