The Immortal DHC-2 Beaver

Pete_SMS

Good grief. Can't you see the drool dripping onto my keyboard?

Hey, good call with the vintage radio stack. Now that is sweet!

Guess it won't be ready for the Iditarod in 4 weeks, but by golly, I'll take her fishing in the spring on the Kuskokwin River if we can.

bc

Edited by Bamboo Cougar

• 1 month later...

It's been quiet here, and I saw a really cool picture of a Beaver today, and it made me think of this.

Can we see more pictures?

I would love to see inside the cowling, the R985 itself.

Hope it's getting close now!

Edit: link= http://sasquatch0777.tumblr.com/post/43099103317#_=_

That's an HDR image... sorry, but my obsession with photography has recently lead me to become obsessed with composing these things and it's not simple. Not only is that an amazing plane but it's a very difficult and unique style of photo. There is practically no post processing involved beyond stitching.

There is practically no post processing involved beyond stitching.

Ummmm.....I disagree.  I started in the darkroom when I was 12 and I've been a professional photographer for 23 years.  This may very well be an HDR image, but I doubt it is stitched.  There is probably some sort of post production Photoshop filter applied to add texture and detail, but there is definitely a lot of post processing on this image.

edit:  Apologies for the highjack.   :ph34r:

Edited by steven winslow
  • Upvote 1

Hello,

Yes it has been a little quiet, but that doesn't mean there is no progress.  ;)

As for new pictures, not within the next two weeks as the Beaver is getting a facelift. I decided to upgrade the textures and the quality, so it will look even more realistic. I am sure you will like it.

I am planning ahead for the future, and sometimes it is good going back to the drawing board, in order to have an easy and efficient workflow for the future.

Nice picture by the way. Looks really great!

Still won't talk about a release date and still have to ask you to be patient. It will be worth it, but sometimes wonderful things get in the way of development. For example becoming a daddy.  :D

• Upvote 4

Hello,

It will be worth it, but sometimes wonderful things get in the way of development. For example becoming a daddy.  :D

Wonderful news Pete. Congrats to you. Expecting our first child and its under a month to go. Bought a HOTAS thrustmaster a few days ago, asked the wife for it for my birthday, she told me "use it while you can". I have a strange feeling she's right. Grrrr...

Cheers

Rhydian

Haha. My 11 y.o. says he's an X-Plane orphan.

But Rhydian, remembering back, I think she's right. Nice thing about the Thrustmaster is you can always push it back and forth as you walk by on your way to the nursery. May be all the action it gets for a while...

Congrats Pete. Wonderful news to share with everyone and that is your priority for sure.

There will be times though, maybe an hour or two a day, when rather than catch a nap, you can still keep modelling :lol:

Who needs sleep anyhow?

There will be no other P&W rounds in my hangar until that beauty you're working on slides into her rightful place at the front and nearest to the coffee machine. :)

bc

• Upvote 1

Thanks a lot guys, I am enjoying every minute of it and soon I will be on parental leave. 4 weeks 24/7 with my little angel.  :)

@Rhydian: You wife is right, your life will change completely, but in the best way it can be! Enjoy every minute of it! No need to fear anything...

@bc: Sleep? What is that?  :) Be assured that I still have a good amount of time for the Beaver and it will be finished for sure, no worries and also not in the too distant future.

@Simon: Pink livery. Yeah, maybe.  ;) You sound like you know what you are talking about...hehehe

• 1 month later...

After a bit of silence, I would like to post an update. The Beaver went through an upgrade with respect to the 3D model and the textures. Now everything is sharp and crisp  ;)

Here comes a picture of the new cockpit. As you can see, I removed the GPS as the cockpit looks much better without it. However, the AP stayed, because it could be handy for all kind of things.

Beaver_NewOffice_zpsd577d47a.jpg

More pictures will follow soon. The cabin was also re-done and currently we are working on the glass textures. After that the exterior model will follow with some nice crisp and detailed textures.  :)

The control yoke was hidden on the picture above, via a clickspot. This way you will be able to access the switches more easily.

I hope you like it and stay tuned for more updates very soon!

• Upvote 8