Xplane 10

Simmo W

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't forget that they aren't showing everything all at once. Probably they are still using new feature powered by X-Plane 9. I think that's what they did in the past shots.

Did anyone notice the frame rate in those screen shots? They were like 19-23, though I assume it was on Austin's 16 core beast. The scenery didn't look all that demanding. I guess it was dynamic shadows on all of those trees. Well, it's got me worried.

Don't forget that they aren't showing everything all at once. Probably they are still using new feature powered by X-Plane 9. I think that's what they did in the past shots.

Did anyone notice the frame rate in those screen shots? They were like 19-23, though I assume it was on Austin's 16 core beast. The scenery didn't look all that demanding. I guess it was dynamic shadows on all of those trees. Well, it's got me worried.

There is no telling what kind of other software he's running in the background, plus I'm sure there is also miles and miles of "debugging code" running as well.. All would certainly bring FPS to its knees...

A woman needs a man, like a fish needs a bicycle. Makes sense? No. That is the world of what is probably pre-alpha screenshots. It appears that Austin and the fellowship of the ring is currently working hard on testing features/methods/algorithms etc etc to see which of them will make it into v10.0. Have a look at one of Ben's recent blogs: http://xplanescenery.blogspot.com/2010/10/tuning-rasterizer.html. This gives one the impression they are tweaking their "farm" to build the latest run of dsf's, and is probably why all the "flatten" polygon information is due in 3 days' time. So when experimenting they will use the v9 system where it is feasible to test out new features, and that will invariably include the old textures.

I think as soon as the new dsf's have been farmed/baked/conjured, the screenshots will look a lot different. Then would be a good time to shoot textures down if it still looks the same, as in its current state (with still predominantly v9 based scenery system) it does not make sense. Patience is a virtue. I am sure Cameron, Tom and Javier can explain this in a much more intelligent way, but that is the basic gist of it.

It will look better. They are refining their programmatic approach to prevent trees from crossing the road when we are watching. Just watch out for the birds and deer - maybe we'll gets crocs, gators & sharks for water planes this time?  :D

It's also worth a minor note that Austin doesn't have a "16-core" beast, because no such animal exists. It's either an eight-core, or a 12-core.

It's actually an 8 core processor with Hyper threading enabled which makes it a 16 core. So basically if you have an intel core i7 8xx or 9xx series then you have a 4 core processor with hyper threading which makes it an 8 core ! If you have an i7 then press ctrl - alt- del and have a look at the task bar. It will show you 8 threads ( meaning 8 core ). Intel's new hexa core processor i7 980x has six cores with hyper threading meaning it will show you 12 cores in the task bar !

So basically each AI airplane on a seperate core. 12 cores means that you can have 12 AI airplanes with almost zero fps hit.

• 2 weeks later...

I hope it comes out before Christmas. I have the feeling that it's gonna knock FSX down at least a little bit.

Austin has said he wants it out for the Christmas shopping season, so we'll see.

I'm gonna push the issue in the blog- nah, I can't see it out before Christmas now, missed the boat I reckon. If no one single person has xp10 yet, how can they fully test in time? Unless we'll be asked to bugtest! I hope I'm wrong though.

I'm gonna push the issue in the blog- nah, I can't see it out before Christmas now, missed the boat I reckon. If no one single person has xp10 yet, how can they fully test in time? Unless we'll be asked to bugtest! I hope I'm wrong though.

That's exactly what the betas are: we all get to be unpaid beta testers.

Let me play devil's advocate. If Austin wants to have it out for the Christmas buying season, Laminar can  ship on December 17th and have it in stores/homes in the US a day or three before Christmas. Is the first beta comes out on November 1st, which happens to be a Monday, that gives them six weeks of beta testing from us.

Not saying that will happen, but it's doable.

I don't think we'll see a release candidate this year, and I don't think we'll get the first betas for another month at least... But the beta should be out in time for the holiday shopping season. He would be a fool to let that one slip...

It's not that long ago that a major beta run took more than three months. And version 10.0 is a major version with a lot of new tech and that will probably take time to polish. So if they are going to have a RC in time for the holidays and have it shipped out to the customers in time for the christmas present unpacking then they will have to release the beta ASAP.