Boeing 747-200

Goran_M

dont get me wrong, really, but Boeing is rolling out the most amazing new brand spanking new 747-800's

so why are we ( figuratively speaking)  building a historical relic of an aircraft when we could be doing the

cutting edge of style and technology?    ???

dont get me wrong, really, but Boeing is rolling out the most amazing new brand spanking new 747-800's

so why are we ( figuratively speaking)   building a historical relic of an aircraft when we could be doing the

The -8 (not -800) has a supercritical airfoil and the specs for it have not been made available to the public yet (AFAIK).

We will not be guessing figures purely to make something that may be in high demand.

If the airfoil specs and ALL system specs are made public, then sure, we'll look further into it.

so why are we ( figuratively speaking)   building a historical relic of an aircraft when we could be doing the

Plus a few of us love steam gauges and the classics, where it took 3 sliderule toting he-men to fly a jumbo manually, rather than 2 screenjockeys. Won't say no to the 8 or the 400 or SP though...

Plus a few of us love steam gauges and the classics, where it took 3 sliderule toting he-men to fly a jumbo manually, rather than 2 screenjockeys. Won't say no to the 8 or the 400 or SP though...

Totally agree, sometimes the glass cockpit comes across as "lacking personality, or a bit impersonal", if that's the right word. Old analog gauges seem to give a bit of character to a classic as the 747.

Boeing may have the 747-800 out, but I'd bet most simmers would go for the -200 every time, just for the personality of it. Soul, that's the word.

easier to model and program in XP too, I think.

You may be surprised.

Displays can be done with png's.  The only heavy duty time consuming thing for the 744 is the FMC.

I know one thing.  I can model and animate a 744 in about half the time it takes to model and animate a 742.

• 4 weeks later...

I worked (as an engineer) from the sixties untill recently on airliners, the steam driven to the digital wonder planes, and have to say the older types have, as Nicola_M says "soul". Flying an airbus is a computer game, you switch in the FMC and it does it all. You sit there, a monitor of 27 computers (using commodore chipsets). A B747-200 while having at its disposal multiple avionic systems, required that they all had to be worked. Its difficult to describe really. Sitting in the cockpit of an airbus was a sterile experience, they dont even smell like they should. Old airliners in the dead of a dark night were spooky places to work, something I never sensed in an digital machine.

• 5 weeks later...

I just came across this forum while looking for the Saab 340. Nice to know someone is finally making something that has history and character. I'm a flight engineer and current on this airplane. Should one of you developers require any info on the airplane, I'd be glad to be of help. I've got time on all 3 types of engines used for this airplane. As for the INS, everyone in the 747 community was quite happy when they started getting rid of the carousel heads. 9 way-points on a 10 hour flight ,thank god for the FMS !!

• 3 weeks later...

I just came across this forum while looking for the Saab 340. Nice to know someone is finally making something that has history and character. I'm a flight engineer and current on this airplane. Should one of you developers require any info on the airplane, I'd be glad to be of help. I've got time on all 3 types of engines used for this airplane. As for the INS, everyone in the 747 community was quite happy when they started getting rid of the carousel heads. 9 way-points on a 10 hour flight ,thank god for the FMS !!

I loved flying with Simufly's Delco Carousel back in FS9 - entering waypoints nine at a time by typing in their lat/lon coordinates was an agreeable challenge! FMCs are less fun I feel.

"Sitting in the cockpit of an airbus was a sterile experience, they dont even smell like they should".

Love that sentence Sopwith! A 747-200 Cold and dark, at night, yes that would be a cold start! No screens to heat or light you up with. Would love to hear more stories from those days.

"Sitting in the cockpit of an airbus was a sterile experience, they dont even smell like they should".

Love that sentence Sopwith! A 747-200 Cold and dark, at night, yes that would be a cold start! No screens to heat or light you up with. Would love to hear more stories from those days.

Absolutely! You can't beat those stories...

• 8 months later...

I am really impressed and excited to be able to fly this aircraft. I am most excited about the INS, thank you very much for deciding to go along with that. I have had some time with the CIVA INS add-on for Flight Simulator and I must say it was a real treat to be able to use that on the older aircraft to add a whole lot of realism to the sim. And with having it integrated into the 3D panel will just be icing on the cake! Add me to the "will buy immediately" list.

Also some liveries I'd like to see, Kalitta Air and Atlas Air. (Sorry I'm a sucker for cargo)

...and the "best signature ever" award goes to: .....drum roll please............................. PWTJ8D.

respect. :D

Indeed, respect. :D

Much appreciated :D

I figured I could save all the kid's trouble by putting all their questions in my signature, that way these threads wouldn't be filled up with useless posts :P

• 1 month later...

A lothas been happening around Theo and myself lately, most notably continuing Saab development and a fix or three on the DC-3. As both those projects are currently out of my hands, I fired up Blender and revisited the 747-200. Have to be honest and say I was not happy with how it looked. So I bit the bullet and decided to remodel all the panels (except the throttle console...something Theo was against).

So...I started modelling the main panel from scratch a few days ago.

Yes, it will be a high poly count when it's finished, but it won't compare to the DC-3 poly count.

Render_3%20%282%29.png

Render_4.png

Render_5%20%282%29.png

Render_6%20%282%29.png

Great work Goran. After reading about it on Simflight, gosh news spreads fast in the flight sim world, I checked out the FS Developer website. That throttle model and texture you posted there are insane! Really looking forward to more news on this one, but you'll have to tear me away from your DC-3 first mate! Lol.

Oh and some of those ridiculous "nice model, shame it's for x-plane" comments are quite frankly juvenile, in my opinion. Ignore them. You're doing a super job without having to listen to that... crap...pardon my Welsh!

Well done.

Rhydian

Edited by RojanTrojan

Thanks, Chaps!

Rhydian, that throttle console is actually somewhere in this very thread. I think a few pages back.

I have to say, though, seeing it on Simflight kinda took me by surprise. I only went there to check after I read your post.

The reaction from some people at FSDeveloper is, well, interesting.