Blender 2.5 ALPHA available

tkyler

So blender 2.5 alpha has been released.  Expect some instability and bugs...it's a totally new interface so you can expect to have to take some time to familiarize yourself with it.  I have no idea how it works with the existing scripts by marginal.  I'll let you know if I find anything.

the interface is extremely customizable..but I'd suggest sticking with the default layout for a while so that when we share information, we're using the same frame of reference.

Tom Kyler

In case any of you are curious to know what the full list of current/future changes are, this page highlights some of the biggies...don't know how much of it is useful in building planes, but otherwise it looks like a long-overdue rework of the GUI and file systems...thank god.

http://www.blender.org/development/current-projects/blender-25-project/

As some of you may know, I was a die-hard AC3D user until I finally decided to tackle blender. Truth be told, once I read the blender manual (skimmed), it's really not as daunting as it may seem. Granted, the learning curve is high if you intend to learn all of the short-cuts. That being said, I think the concept that blender is difficult stems more from folks being overwhelmed by features that are present, but irrelevant. If you simply learn the basics from the manual and ignore all of the other distractions, it becomes quite easy. Simply put, blender is only as difficult as you make it!

-Nick

• 2 weeks later...

... If you simply learn the basics from the manual and ignore all of the other distractions, it becomes quite easy. Simply put, blender is only as difficult as you make it!

I'm embarrassed to admit it, but you pretty much summed up why I haven't been able to grasp blender yet... But after having played with the new version for five minutes I've gotten a lot further in understanding the new GUI and tool set than ever before; the old one unfortunately did not make any sense to me... :D

... If you simply learn the basics from the manual and ignore all of the other distractions, it becomes quite easy. Simply put, blender is only as difficult as you make it!

I'm embarrassed to admit it, but you pretty much summed up why I haven't been able to grasp blender yet... But after having played with the new version for five minutes I've gotten a lot further in understanding the new GUI and tool set than ever before; the old one unfortunately did not make any sense to me... :D

Dan,

Have you ever checked out the book in stores titled "Essential Blender?" It's a very good read. I had some trouble grasping Blender as well until reading that book. It's very good for teaching.

That's a great idea, but I'm just wondering if I should wait until a new revised one comes out that targets the new version and its new GUI...? Do you know if what the book teaches you can be applied to the new version, or will it just confuse things further?

So far I've gotten by by using SketchUp and AC3D, but I'm really interesting in some of the new techniques such as texture baking and more advanced UV-tools, and this is where both AC3D and SketchUp fall short... A lot of time goes into manually painting on shadow effects and it would be cool to add some subtle static reflections in windows, metal or whatever...

That's a great idea, but I'm just wondering if I should wait until a new revised one comes out that targets the new version and its new GUI...? Do you know if what the book teaches you can be applied to the new version, or will it just confuse things further?

So far I've gotten by by using SketchUp and AC3D, but I'm really interesting in some of the new techniques such as texture baking and more advanced UV-tools, and this is where both AC3D and SketchUp fall short... A lot of time goes into manually painting on shadow effects and it would be cool to add some subtle static reflections in windows, metal or whatever...

Dan,

The book will definitely be of use. While the GUI has changed, that's no biggie. I would suggest learning the techniques with the book in the version of Blender prior to the GUI upgrade, and then once you've learned everything, upgrade to the new GUI. You'll find the transition quite easy this way, believe it or not!

• 2 months later...