Project 3

Goran_M

We're getting closer and adding more "surprises" to the Saab, lately.

I was debating with myself whether I should put these screenshots up (for about a week) and have decided I wanted to show where we are going with this.

Propellors will have realistic animation using a technique that X Plane allows.

Also, look closely at the engine hub.  You will see a work in progress reflection of the fuselage in the prop hub.  

Also, fyi, the engines have been re-done since this screenshot was taken.  Theo asked if I could get rid of the seams running all over them as he can add them as a texture, also, on top of that, it will improve performance and generally look better.

It's definitely moving forward and will be ready soon.  We're spending a ridiculous amount of hours to get this finished asap.  We're looking at some time in the 2nd half of february.  (Fingers crossed!)

propstaionary.th.jpg

propspin.th.jpg

Looking forward to seeing the finalized textures (and the entire project of course!).  Keep up the good work, we're all biting at the bit of course.

For those interested, another small carrier that exclusively flies the Saab 340A:  Air Aland

http://www.airaland.com/

Aland is a set of Swedish-speaking autonomous Finnish islands that is part of the EU but doesn't pay VAT (how's that for international confusion).  Anyway, a few good flights between Mariehamn in Aland and Stockholm or Helsinki.

Hello all, i am new to X-Plane and comes from the FSX world.

I have never liked FSX due to performance but i havent been interested in X-plane either untill 2 month ago.

Last time i tried a X-plane demo (about 2 years ago) there was not so much to be impressed in my mind.

But now with the CRJ-200 (future A320) and the Saab (future 747) i am no more in FSX and it is X-plane ALL the way.

This thing that i like the most in X-plane is that i feel that the aircraft is really flying and second the lightning. The lightning of X-Plane bring real life into the simulator. I am only using 3D aircrafts like PMDG and that is the reason i never tried X-plane.

But things are about to change. The CRJ and the Saab/747 looks amazing!!! This is the future!

By the way, the most exciting things with X-plane is also the development time, for PMDG it takes 3-4 years to come up with and aircraft and i find it faster development for X-plane. The only question i have is: will it have a realistic FMS? able to follow waypoints and make autoland(if the aircraft has functions like that)?  Once again, amazing work and i will buy both the Saab and the 747 direct when it comes out on the market!

Hi Meshboy, yes glad ur joining us in our exciting xp journey! The waiting's fun, but there are already great aircraft available - eg most of the ones from x-aviation! My vid channel is clogged with em! Also, I find the eadt 737 has all the systems you speak of ( auto land works a treat), plusive discovered Jason Chandlers helos handle beautifully. So, my fsx discs are slowly degrading already! Yes, glad someone else enjoys the feeling of flight in xp, it beats fsxrails.

Yeah x-plane has a bright future infront of it.

I have tried the x737 but without the 3D cockpit for me makes no joy, the feeling of being there can only be with a fully-functioned 3d cockpit in my opinion.

I have looked at aircraft that are out there like the MU-2 (looks great), but for me it is all about the heavy metal. My dreamfleet is 737,A320,CJR,767,757,777,747

I hope one day i will have all these aircraft with complex systems and great looking 3D cockpits!

Happy flying!

The Saab 340 A and B have never had a FMS inside. The B has a GPS and the A just has gauges with a moving map and artificial horizon.

Actually, many of the B variants have an FMS. If I remember right, it's the UNS-1M, as well as the same model CDU. This is almost always coupled with a Collins MFD in almost any Saab 340B cockpit I've ridden in. A similar setup is used on EMB-120's.

Hello all, i am new to X-Plane and comes from the FSX world.

I have never liked FSX due to performance but i havent been interested in X-plane either untill 2 month ago.

Last time i tried a X-plane demo (about 2 years ago) there was not so much to be impressed in my mind.

But now with the CRJ-200 (future A320) and the Saab (future 747) i am no more in FSX and it is X-plane ALL the way.

This thing that i like the most in X-plane is that i feel that the aircraft is really flying and second the lightning. The lightning of X-Plane bring real life into the simulator. I am only using 3D aircrafts like PMDG and that is the reason i never tried X-plane.

But things are about to change. The CRJ and the Saab/747 looks amazing!!! This is the future!

By the way, the most exciting things with X-plane is also the development time, for PMDG it takes 3-4 years to come up with and aircraft and i find it faster development for X-plane. The only question i have is: will it have a realistic FMS? able to follow waypoints and make autoland(if the aircraft has functions like that)?  Once again, amazing work and i will buy both the Saab and the 747 direct when it comes out on the market!

Welcome to the X Plane world.

With regard to the FMS.  I have no immediate plans to have a custom FMS programmed into the Saab.  Yes, most Saab 340B aircraft have an FMS, but I plan to model the other B versions that don't have it.  In the future, I may add it as an "upgrade".

The 747-200 that I am making does not have an FMS.  It will use INS navigation.  It will follow waypoints that are programmed into it but the waypoints can only be entered 9 at a time. 

Goran

The Saab 340 A and B have never had a FMS inside. The B has a GPS and the A just has gauges with a moving map and artificial horizon.

Actually, many of the B variants have an FMS. If I remember right, it's the UNS-1M, as well as the same model CDU. This is almost always coupled with a Collins MFD in almost any Saab 340B cockpit I've ridden in. A similar setup is used on EMB-120's.

The very old B's (first of the B models) had a UNS-1M which was actually a NMS (Navigation Management System), the later ones were fitted with a UNS-1K, later again were the UNS-1K+ and the very latest B+ aircraft are fitted with the UNS-1Lw.

The B+ has a larger or extended wing and can be recognised by black rather than silver prop hub which is a Hamilton prop instead of the original Dowty Rotol silver spinner props.

The only downside of the black prop spinner is that you cannot check if your landing lights are working by day as there is no reflection  ;D

Bprop.png

Welcome to the X Plane world.

With regard to the FMS.  I have no immediate plans to have a custom FMS programmed into the Saab.  Yes, most Saab 340B aircraft have an FMS, but I plan to model the other B versions that don't have it.  In the future, I may add it as an "upgrade".

The 747-200 that I am making does not have an FMS.  It will use INS navigation.  It will follow waypoints that are programmed into it but the waypoints can only be entered 9 at a time. 

Goran

I agree Goran, don't get bogged down with too much FMS etc detail, all that is required is a panel that is realistic and flies well.

Keep up the good work.

Thanks for the answer about the FMS. The answer to me is of great satisfaction. What i want is realistic and accurate airplanes like the ones in the real world, and it seems this is going to be made in this way. 747-200 uses older INS system and some other navigation with the Saab and this is the way it is simulated. =)

The important thing for me is that it is simulated with accuracy, i don´t want and FMC if the airplanes don´t have them by original =)

I can´t belive how short workprocess you developers for X_plane has comparet to the MSFS world. 747-200 out this year maybe?!?!?

This is great news!

Even if an aircraft hasn´t all 100% function i like the upgrades that can make them more realistic in the future if something isn´t included in the base pack. I will buy all upgrades due to i want as most systems as possible.

Happy developlent and thanks for answers!

Thanks for the answer about the FMS. The answer to me is of great satisfaction. What i want is realistic and accurate airplanes like the ones in the real world, and it seems this is going to be made in this way. 747-200 uses older INS system and some other navigation with the Saab and this is the way it is simulated. =)

The important thing for me is that it is simulated with accuracy, i don´t want and FMC if the airplanes don´t have them by original =)

I can´t belive how short workprocess you developers for X_plane has comparet to the MSFS world. 747-200 out this year maybe?!?!?

This is great news!

Even if an aircraft hasn´t all 100% function i like the upgrades that can make them more realistic in the future if something isn´t included in the base pack. I will buy all upgrades due to i want as most systems as possible.

Happy developlent and thanks for answers!

No problem.

We all want the realism.  And speaking for myself, and I'm sure I speak for the others who work at X Aviation, we're all working very hard to bring the most realistic experience for X Plane.

I guess we can only get better as time goes on.

Cheers

Goran

The very old B's (first of the B models) had a UNS-1M which was actually a NMS (Navigation Management System), the later ones were fitted with a UNS-1K, later again were the UNS-1K+ and the very latest B+ aircraft are fitted with the UNS-1Lw.

The B+ has a larger or extended wing and can be recognised by black rather than silver prop hub which is a Hartzell prop instead of the original Dowty Rotol silver spinner props.

The only downside of the black prop spinner is that you cannot check if your landing lights are working by day as there is no reflection  ;D

Bprop.png

Are you sure that ALL B+ models have the new props? Mesaba Airlines (Delta Connection) fleet of 49 (soon to be 26) Saabs are all B+ models and all still have Dowty Rotol props on them.

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Northwest-Airlink-(Mesaba/Saab-340B-Plus/1600459/L/

Are you sure that ALL B+ models have the new props? Mesaba Airlines (Delta Connection) fleet of 49 (soon to be 26) Saabs are all B+ models and all still have Dowty Rotol props on them.

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Northwest-Airlink-(Mesaba/Saab-340B-Plus/1600459/L/

Yes the first B+ had the Dowty, I should have said that the latest B+ are fitted with Hamilton.

I'm really excited that you guys are so close to finishing this plane, and I don't want you to rush. I want you to make this plane as good as it can be, before you release it. Also, do you have any new pictures for us?

This is a list of things that need to be finished.

1) the overhead needs some tweaking...just switches moving the right way, maybe some datarefs changed etc...

2) 1 hr tidying the gear animations up

3) placing and animations of cockpit side panels

4) texturing LCD panel displays correctly

5) Making engine management gauges work right and display accurately

6) rudder pedal animation

7) ext lighting to be finished

8.) landing lights to be added

We're looking at about 7-10 days work for this if things go well.

I would love to show some screenshots but not just yet.  We want to concentrate on getting all these things sorted.

Maybe in a few days.

Goran

Ok, here's the situation.

About 3 weeks ago, work stopped on the animating as Reuben had a few things to take care of.  Now his time is taken up by school and his time dedicated to the Saab is extremely limited.

So I had to make a choice and, unfortunately, took him off the project as I always say school is more important than any other activity.

Originally, I had Jason in mind to help me animate everything so we can get it done fast without rushing it.  However, I asked someone else who could finish it on his own.  This person agreed and is a master at animating in AC3D.  If the average developer can animate something in 5 minutes in Blender, this guy can do the same animation in 30 seconds in AC3D.

I don't really want to say who it is.  That's up to him if he wants himself to be known.  The only thing is, everything needs to be UV mapped before we export it to AC3D and Theo is making sure it's all done.

Because of this setback, we had to push the target back to early March, which includes the manual.

It better be done by early March.  My birthday is mid March and I want it out before then.

:)