Sooooo, How Goes The Update?

HamSammich

On 8/26/2016 at 10:33 AM, Cameron said:

To do it right? Difficult.

If you've read anything about this project then you'll understand the entire cabin is slated for a makeover. Adding detail to an area that is destined for destruction and re-do is not productive.

I'm looking for some sort of stopgap measure until the makeover is complete. For all we know we might not see an updated cabin for at least another year, given how low the priority is. My background's from MSFS and I was thinking if the there io some little tricks that could make it light up. For example in FSX there are night textures, and you can put fx effects that can light up areas of the aircraft. IIRC in one of the older IXEG development videos they did have a lit cabin, but it was scrapped for some reason in the release.

Secondly I question the value of a detailed cabin. I'm sure there are people who like to fly from the passenger's seat but I don't, and rendering a detailed cabin is a waste of computer resources. But cabin lighting is a basic requirement - again practically all freeware aircraft have it. I know it's SOP to dim the lights but the IXEG cabin is pitch black and I can't suspend my disbelief.

Finally in FSX payware development there are usually separate people handling 3D modelling and gauge programming. IIRC Samdim handled 3D modelling of Majestic's Q400 on a contract basis. I don't know how IXEG works but I think there might be some 3D modelling people with a little bit of free time on their hands, now that most of the work is done.

In due time. I for one am happy emphasis was put on the systems first. That would have totally broken the immersion for me. Living without detailed cabin lighting for exterior view pleasure is okay with me for the time being. :)

Which system breaks your immersion? the PROG page, enroute winds, VNAV descent calculation and FO instruments are the only big missing pieces I can think of for normal operations, and time/fuel predictions only need to be 'somewhat accurate' for most people. Failures are another thing but most don't use it.

The biggest concern I have is that IXEG will never finish the updated cabin, if it's so low priority. From my 10 years of experience in FSX payware developers lose motivation very quickly once they got everyone's money, and many leave their products unfinished. Examples include Airsimmer, Captainsim, Razbam, Milviz, BBS etc. I know X-plane users are much more tolerant of unfinished products (Flightfactor, SSG, Rotate, and this product) but cabin lighting is a really basic requirement.

Edited by avantime

I feel like adding a single powerful X-Plane flood light facing down the cabin from the cockpit door would do a decent job of illuminating the whole cabin and be relatively simple to mod in for users who want that. My only concerns are a) support for the modified plane and B) how to turn on the light in the first place, since there's no pre-existing switch you can assign or 2D cockpit to modify a button into.

7 hours ago, avantime said:

Secondly I question the value of a detailed cabin.

In the same way I question the value of a lighted cabin at night from exterior view, when in reality it's not so realistic? My point here is not to insult you, but to make apparent that many people have different opinions.

I don't know how IXEG works but I think there might be some 3D modelling people with a little bit of free time on their hands, now that most of the work is done.

Incorrect assumptions. Please don't go trying to compare other people or groups to another, especially from another sim. Free time is something none of the guys definitely have, and when they do, it's going to better priorities.

Which system breaks your immersion?

I used past tense, not present, so this question is way out of context.

From my 10 years of experience in FSX payware developers lose motivation very quickly once they got everyone's money, and many leave their products unfinished.

Trying to project other peoples failures onto this team is not fair of you to do, so please don't. More importantly, I'd encourage you to do some research as to who the people on this team are and you'll perhaps quickly realize they are not prone to leave things behind.

8 hours ago, avantime said:

and rendering a detailed cabin is a waste of computer resources.

There are methods within X-Plane to make it so such a cabin is not impacting resources when not in use/view. It's simply a matter of doing things right.

Never mind the fact that the 737 is already an extremely good performer FPS wise.

but cabin lighting is a really basic requirement.

*for me (you).

As I said, in due time. This group does not skimp on the details when it's time to get something done. The dedication to this product has not changed, and if promises were made (as they previously have been), they'll get done.

Longish story short? The cabin lights will come proper when the cabin itself is done.

• Upvote 3

Cameron, you probably already know that but A LOT of us, appreciate the work, dedication and professionalism that the IXEG team has put into this project. We are 100% behind you guys and are very confident to see upcoming updates on this beautiful bird ! Again, thank you for giving us such great aircraft ! As an ex 737 pilot, I am enjoying every bit of it. Cheers

• Upvote 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 28/08/2016 at 10:16 PM, Tim013 said:

Agree.  Systems, systems, systems.  Visual trinkets are nice in time, but I want the flight deck to be right.

Tim

Precisely. I'd rather they concentrated on the dynamics and systems, any day. Yes, detail is fantastic but get the aircraft performing accurately first, before the bells and whistles.

41 minutes ago, jolmos said:

Please do not forget to improve textures to prevent substantial FPS consumed .
Thank you very much.

You are the ONLY person reporting this. Reconfigure your machine accordingly or stop trolling.

The IXEG product is widely regarded by thousands of other customers as providing extremely good FPS.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, jolmos said:

Thank you very much.

If your computer cannot handle the IXEG, it cannot handle X-Plane. The 737 Classic is the best optimised payware aircraft I have ever seen. Having just bought the FSLabs A320 for FSX and spent an entire weekend trying to get it to run smoothly on a pretty high end rig, I can say IXEG have performed miracles with this plane. It ran smooth straight out of the box.

• Upvote 4

On 9/13/2016 at 8:57 PM, jolmos said:

Thank you very much.

Havent had any problem related with performance in this plane. My settings are nearly maxed out and i have never NEVER dipped below 30 fps, no matter if i am flying in very bad conditions or doing an approach to a huge airport with lots of autogen and high res photoscenary. Its very well optimized :) 

Edited by Ricardo2696
  • Upvote 3

• 2 weeks later...

I stopped using FSX due to continuous OOM when combining glass cockpit jets, add-on weather, and a frame-rate-eating scenery package.. When I moved to X-Plane I immediately entered a relatively stable platform, excellent scenery, the opportunity to build my own world via mostly free (and very well created) airports and scenery and, best of all, the IXEG 737-300.. I have never had a problem with system resourses.. I fly every day, and my circuit is all over north america, sometimes also to Europe.  Everything functions better than I could hope.. And the 737 is absolutely amazing..

Like Jan said a while back, this experience is sure a lot more immersive than watching TV.

• Upvote 1