"Not in database", beyond maximum range

ShaneMontoya

Hi Jan and IXEG team,

Recently I tried to enter a destination which is far away from the origin airport and the distance bewteen is beyond the maximum range of 733.(I know it's very silly) The CDU did find out that it could not fly that distance but returned "NOT IN DATABASE" which puzzles me because usually this warning means some naviads don't exist in the database. Wondering if the real CDU in the 733 shows the same message.

I tried the ORIGIN ZSSS and DEST KJFK (or any ORIGIN and DEST having a distance greater than 2,270 nm, Range fully loaded according to 733C wiki)

B733_1.png

B733_2.png

Also a short video about the entry. Please unzip it with 7z since the video takes surprisingly 193MB @1920*1080 unzipped.

B733_1.7z

Many thanks,

Shane

Edited by Morten

The real 737 FMC does not have world wide database coverage. To my understanding, any airline will only have data loaded for the relevant region of operations. Loading new or changing database contents apparently involves a pack of floppy disks(!). :)

• Upvote 1

• 1 year later...

I revive this issue again today, anothre airstrip in Canada CAL4 i not in Database, when I enter it into REF Airport it is know but not in ORIG or DEST.

Also I have noticed that the speed brakes drag is almost unoticeble is this something related to me only or it is something that had been made aware of?

Thanks for the support.

Arslan

Edited by Mooze

Hi,

Morten is right - the real speedbrake´s effect is pretty bad, especially at low speeds. On the upside, you don´t have to observe a possible increase in stall speed, like you do on Airbus-type aircraft.

The speedbrake at the FLT detent (don´t use it above that while in flight) will give you roughly 30% more sinkrate at 250kts IAS. Less when slower, a bit more when faster.

As for the nav database range: We did increase it substantially in patch 1.2 (iirc). No idea why an airport would go into the REF AIRPORT field but not in the ORIGIN, have to check that out and will report back.

Cheers, Jan

42 minutes ago, Mooze said:

Thanks guys,

Thanks for looking into CAL4, The speedbrakes is almost to no use for me and thats up to flight detent.

Arslan

I just checked, the speedbrake increases rate of descent at 250kts from 1600fpm to 2000fpm. Thats exactly like on the real aircraft. As for it being "too ineffective" - you just found out one of the reasons why proper descent planning is so important in the 737 classic :lol:.

CAL4 is not known as airport in X-Plane. You can "make" it with WED and upload it to Laminar, if you want it to be in the simulator. Thats why it can´t be picked as destination or origin.

It can still be found as REF airport, because that position is coming from another (official) database, and we do not crosscheck if the airport is present in X-Plane when entering that field.

Cheers, Jan

31 minutes ago, Mooze said:

Thanks Jan,

I actually added the airport with WED which is weird.

Arslan

We are polling the official X-Plane airport database (apt.dat) - not the user´s Custom Scenery folder. Thats why it won´t show up until you either hand-edit the correct apt.dat or (easier) upload the airport to Laminar Research.

Cheers, Jan

9 hours ago, Mooze said:

Hello Jan,

I have sent a message to Laminar Research about the missing airport, however I have jus tried it in the X737 and it is recongnized including the RNAV Approaches for both runways

Thanks

Arslan

Hi Arslan,

the message will not do much - all airports are crowdsourced and someone has to A.) Request the airport identifier to be added to the airport database (on the Scenery Gateway website) and then B.) Make the airport in WED and then submit it to Laminar Research via the Scenery Gateway. Google "Jan Vogel WED tutorial" to see how that is all done.

The x737 may carry its own database of airports, so it may work differently for them. I am surprised/doubtful about the airport having an official RNAV approach, it is a private airstrip and I couldn´t find any official approach data.

Cheers, Jan

Airport code has already been created, so it should come with XP11.20.

However, there's currently a general issue with those Canadian airports having a number in their ICAO code - Laminar has borked their meta data. As an example, let's take CAD4 (Trail). It exists in XP, but as "AD4", not "CAD4" (this was changed from XP10 to XP11; in XP10 all those airports had their 4 digit ICAO code as ID, not the 3 digit local code). The AIRAC data however identify this airport with its proper ICAO designator, "CAD4". This now has several side effects:

• In the default GPS / FMS, you can select the airport only by its short ID ("AD4")
  • In the default GPS / FMS, you cannot select procedures, as they are linked to "CAD4", not "AD4" (CIFS or whichever AIRAC format you use, it doesn't matter)
  • In the IXEG 733 FMS, you cannot select the airport at all, neither with its ICAO nor short designator

I already contacted Julian concerning this issue. He changed the meta data for CAD4 to now have an FAA identifier of CAD4. Apparently this should fix the default GPS / FMS discrepancies, but I'm not sure about the IXEG FMS.

If Tom or Jan could confirm how the meta data have to look like (i. e. what you're validating against internally), we could crowd-source the work and file change requests for all those Canadian airports concerned (they're quite numerous, though not all are fit to fly in with a 733 :lol:).

11 hours ago, Litjan said:

Hi Arslan,

the message will not do much - all airports are crowdsourced and someone has to A.) Request the airport identifier to be added to the airport database (on the Scenery Gateway website) and then B.) Make the airport in WED and then submit it to Laminar Research via the Scenery Gateway. Google "Jan Vogel WED tutorial" to see how that is all done.

The x737 may carry its own database of airports, so it may work differently for them. I am surprised/doubtful about the airport having an official RNAV approach, it is a private airstrip and I couldn´t find any official approach data.

Cheers, Jan

Hi Jan,

Thank you very much for the reply, actually I did create the airstrip with WED prior to my initial post, I have sent an email to Laminar attaching the apt.dat, and the reply was that they will look into this. And as it seem to be on gateway.x-plane, not sure how this works with X-Plane but is there a way on how to addd this manually as I opened apt.bat and the data seem to be complicated to be added manually.

However the charts are available in Jeppview not sure about LIDO.

Thank Jesco for your message, seems like it is an ongoing issue with some airstrips.

Arslan