Jump to content
Tom Stian

X-Plane 11.10 beta is close

Recommended Posts

Quote

Let me ask again :)

Quote

I can´t really put out a solid forcast on the timing of the next update. At the least we will have to wait until 11.10 is declared final - there are some flight-model changes that we will need to adjust to, in particular the behaviour near the ground (wing downwash affecting the stabilizer).

We will put in as many fixes as we can for this next incremental update, Tom has already fixed some lingering gizmo soft-crashes - and the reflections will be part of it, too.

The stuff that everyone is waiting for - better VNAV, a 3D cabin, opening doors, etc. will not be part of this next incremental update, unfortunately.

Cheers, Jan

 

Edited by fehrster

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/22/2017 at 11:52 PM, Litjan said:

Yes, I can properly flare this plane (you saw my video) and Austin is considering the ground effect on the stabilizer fixed at this point, and so do I.

There is probably something wrong with your joystick settings or the way you set the CG, the airspeed you land at or the something else.

I can fly and land the plane just fine and it does not handle much differently in the landing than the real aircraft did for me.

Cheers, Jan

 

In Ben’s blog re b5, he mentions the updating of flight characteristics by opening aircraft in Plane Maker, saving, and thus getting the latest.  I have done this with several aircraft, including the IXEG 737, and it seems to help - certainly hasn’t hurt.  This apparently will be the procedure for updating flight characteristics of aircraft now if I understand him correctly.

John

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We are still checking out the new changes that you get by saving the .acf in X-Plane 11.10b5 (and later).

It seems that the new downwash model is making the stabilizer more effective - this isn´t wrong, but our model is not tuned for that (yet). So you will get a lot more tail-downforce in regular flight, and will therefore need more "nose-down" trim to compensate. You will find that you run out of "nose down" trim in a lot of situations (during approach, flying faster than ca. 260kts, etc).

I recommend NOT saving the .acf in the latest betas. We are flight-testing the changes, and will incorporate appropriate modifications to retain the flight-model that we are so proud of :) in 11.10, while taking advantage of Austin´s improvements.

Cheers, Jan

 

Edited by Litjan
  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Litjan said:

...It seems that the new downwash model is making the stabilizer more effective - this isn´t wrong, but our model is not tuned for that (yet). So you will get a lot more tail-downforce in regular flight, and will therefore need more "nose-down" trim to compensate. You will find that you run out of "nose down" trim in a lot of situations (during approach, flying faster than ca. 260kts, etc)...

Cheers, Jan

 

Okay, glad you guys are onto this because I noticed the same thing. I was frequently running out of nose down trim on approach, I also noticed obvious nose up pitching during my climb out just after takeoff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Torbinator said:

Okay, glad you guys are onto this because I noticed the same thing. I was frequently running out of nose down trim on approach, I also noticed obvious nose up pitching during my climb out just after takeoff.

This means that you have re-saved your .acf in X-Plane 11.10 beta - which is something we don´t recommend for this same reason. You want to re-install the 1.2 version from scratch, otherwise your plane will stay broken until we get out the next patch.

Jan

 

Edited by Litjan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Litjan, I am not courageous enough to modify any planes like the IXEG in plane maker! :o I was simply reporting the IXEG v1.2 performance in X-Plane 11.10b4 in comparison to how it performs in 11.05.

When I fly it in 11.05, the trim values suggested for takeoff to put me on V2 +15 nicely.  The amount of trim availability for cruise seems normal, and I've never run out of trim on landing when configured for VREF +5. 

If I take the IXEG v1.2 and fly it in XP 11.10b4, the trim values suggested for takeoff tends to put me well above the flight director suggestion and the speed bleeds off below V2 +15, requiring nose down trim. The amount of trim availability for cruise seems very close to full forward (close to 0 on the trim scale). On landing I seem to run out of nose down trim when configured for VREF +5. The aircraft is still controllable, I just need to keep a slight forward pressure on approach since I'm out of trim. I never thought to mess with it in plane maker.

If there are any other specifics you would like me to report, I will gladly try to make those observations.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Beta 4 was way off, Jan probably assumed you were on beta 5 which has the updated downwash and should work "ok" unless you tamper in planemaker.

more info here 

 

M

Edited by Morten

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Torbinator said:

@Litjan, I am not courageous enough to modify any planes like the IXEG in plane maker! :o I was simply reporting the IXEG v1.2 performance in X-Plane 11.10b4 in comparison to how it performs in 11.05.

When I fly it in 11.05, the trim values suggested for takeoff to put me on V2 +15 nicely.  The amount of trim availability for cruise seems normal, and I've never run out of trim on landing when configured for VREF +5. 

If I take the IXEG v1.2 and fly it in XP 11.10b4, the trim values suggested for takeoff tends to put me well above the flight director suggestion and the speed bleeds off below V2 +15, requiring nose down trim. The amount of trim availability for cruise seems very close to full forward (close to 0 on the trim scale). On landing I seem to run out of nose down trim when configured for VREF +5. The aircraft is still controllable, I just need to keep a slight forward pressure on approach since I'm out of trim. I never thought to mess with it in plane maker.

If there are any other specifics you would like me to report, I will gladly try to make those observations.

I think your explanation makes perfect sense - in beta 4 (and before), Austin´s flightmodel changes always happened. In beta 5, they only happen if you re-save the aircraft in planemaker. In your initial post you made no mention of which beta you used when reporting (and you reported at a time when beta 5 was current) - so I assumed you were on beta 5.

So - if you are on beta 5 or later, you should be fine. Don´t resave your aircraft in planemaker, though.

Jan

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry if this was already answered somewhere: Do you plan to keep XP10 compatibility, at least for the systems-related updates like better VNAV, holds etc.? I only fly XP11 if a plane wasn't designed to work in 10 (e.g. the JustFlight Arrow) as I don't care about that scary sci-fi technology like PBR, FMOD, VR or realtime reflections. I also have better performance in 10, but that might change when LR are implementing their VR optimizations.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, mgeiss said:

Sorry if this was already answered somewhere: Do you plan to keep XP10 compatibility, at least for the systems-related updates like better VNAV, holds etc.? I only fly XP11 if a plane wasn't designed to work in 10 (e.g. the JustFlight Arrow) as I don't care about that scary sci-fi technology like PBR, FMOD, VR or realtime reflections. I also have better performance in 10, but that might change when LR are implementing their VR optimizations.

To my knowledge there is nothing that would stop us from also updating our XP10 version of the 737 in future updates. We already have a "dual installer" which will work on both versions, and most updates (FMS; etc.) are non-version specific, anyway.

Jan

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×