Training Video's

Morten

Recommended videos that will enhance your sim experience.  All are done by professional pilots with the IXEG 737.

FOR ENTERTAINMENT PURPOSES ONLY!

UPDATE AS OF JANUARAY 2022: Some of the tutorial videos were made private by YouTube...for reasons unknown. I have managed to reupload tutorial 1 and 2. Tutorials 3 and 4 will be made available when I redo all videos with X-Plane 12 and the latest IXEG versions.

https://youtu.be/j95Bi8b7DvQ (IXEG tutorial 1) - Basic FMS and navigation

Welcome to your first tutorial flight with IXEG's 737-300 classic aircraft simulation. We have created these tutorial flights to allow you to become familiar with the operation of this aircraft in a gradual manner that is fun and easy. We have created four tutorials for you, with each tutorial flight increasing in complexity of operation. We highly recommend that you repeat the tutorial flights as many times as necessary until you are familiar and comfortable with the concepts introduced in each tutorial.

https://youtu.be/PJMsk43vACs - (IXEG tutorial 2) - Autopilot and flight director

Our second tutorial flight will demonstrate the usage of the Autopilot / Flight Director System (APFDS ). We assume you have developed some familiarity and proficiency with manual flying, common 737 cockpit nomenclature and basic usage of the FMS from the Quick start and Tutorialflight 1 missions. If you have not worked through those flights, we highly recommend you do so before conducting this tutorial.

(IXEG tutorial 3)

In this tutorial, you will bring both the aircraft and dark cockpit to life in the same manner a 737- 300 crew does, minus a few checks and tests that do not apply for general flight simulation. Youwill fly from München, Germany EDDM to Salzburg, Austria LOWS and along the way, operate and become familiar with the Weather Radar, Anti-Ice and Ground Proximity Warning System, EGPWS. You will conclude the tutorial via a visual approach to LOWS runway 34, landing, taxi and shutdown.

(IXEG tutorial 4)

This tutorial will consist of a complete flight from Nice, France (LFMN) to Geneve, Switzerland (LSGG) and will utilize the full capabilities of the Flight Management Systems (FMS) for the entirety of the flight. This flight is particularly beautiful, being that it crosses the western Alps. During this flight, we will introduce you to the FMSÅLs lateral and vertical navigational features, commonly referred to as LNAV and VNAV. We will simulate a turnaround scenario where you are in the incoming captain, replacing the previous captain who had just arrived.

EGPWS  

Jan explains how the EGPWS of the 737 works.

TCAS

Jan explains how the TCAS of the 737 works

================

Base Training (Reflected Reality Simulations)

When new airline pilots first fly a jet transport they do what's called Base Training, essentially just learning how to land the aircraft after spending hours and hours in the simulator learning procedures. We're at Prestwick today for a couple of circuits. Normally done at 1500 ft, there's a bit of terrain under the downwind leg so 1600ft is used today.

Circling Procedure (Reflected Reality Simulations)

Pisa, Italy. Departing runway 22L then flying an ILS arrival to 04R then circling to land 22L.

RNAV Arrival (Reflected Reality Simulations)

This video looks at the RNAV 03 arrival at Rovaniemi using LNAV for the lateral track and speed/vs for the profile. The procedure shown in the video allows a sim pilot to fly an RNAV arrival simply. Real life procedures may be substantially different.

Vectored ILS Autoland (Reflected Reality Simulations)

Short video showing how to use the fix page to help you vector yourself onto an ILS approach. Not a procedure one would use in real life but useful for sim pilots who don't use VATSim or PilotEdge. Also shows an automatic landing. 

ILS Arrival (Reflected Reality Simulations)

Landing at Barcelona runway 25R from the ILS approach with the IXEG 737-300. Flown from top of descent onwards. Unintended AP disconnect adds some minor drama!

Groundschool: Descent Planning: (Reflected Reality Simulations)

This is a short video on managing the descent path to aim for a continuous descent approach. I found this subject particularly tricky when I started flying, so I've tried to explain it as simply as possible. 

Descent Management and Go Around (Reflected Reality Simulations)

Back in the IXEG 737 flying the profile I described in my "Groundschool: Descent Planning" video, finishing off with a missed approach.  Starting from 10000ft we fly a 3 degree profile to be altitude 5000 20 miles from the runway, fly a 5nm / 1000 ft profile to be 180 Flaps 5 by 3000 ft and 10 miles.

Autopilot Go Around LSGG (Reflected Reality Simulations)

Flying into Geneva in the IXEG 737-300, we'll fly the missed approach with the autopilot, then pick up a VOR radial to complete the missed approach. 

Circling Approach LDDU (Reflected Reality Simulations)

Flying the Dubrovnik circling procedure using the fix page to draw the prescribed tracks. The key to circling on the 737 is to use VOR/LOC for the ILS segment with VS to maintain the glideslope. The Pisa video (Part 6) shows this also with a more conventional timed circling approach.

Innsbruck LOWI (Reflected Reality Simulations)

Putting together everything we've discussed in the past few videos to fly a departure and arrival at Innsbruck, one of the most challenging airports in the world.
Departing runway 08 for the KPT2J departure, before returning via TULSI and RTT for the LOC/DME East arrival for runway 26, before following a prescribed track circling procedure for runway 08.

LFMN Vnav (Reflected Reality Simulations)

Departing Bastia LFKB using the VNav functions to fly to Nice LFMN on the VOR-B arrival to runway 22R. We look at correct thrust reduction and acceleration procedures for the departure and explore how VNav can be used to manage an arrival.

================

Flightdeck Setup (Airline2sim part 2)     Flight from Dublin to Manchester (Airline2sim part 3)

In this video our real world 737 Classic pilot talks Ben through setting up the flightdeck for a flight from Dublin to Manchester in this wonderful new add-on aircraft.

FOR ENTERTAINMENT PURPOSES ONLY!

Edited by Litjan
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 17

• Morten pinned this topic
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...

If someone could direct me with some issues with the IXEG 737 FMC. I noticed that on my second flights, that is, a flight following my first flight, things get weird in the FMC. I'm sure it's something I'm not doing right but I don't even know here to look. And I'm not a pilot so pardon my ignorance.

I'm doing a second flight right now so, I started with RTE - I type in the airport where I am (SBVT) and that cleans up the FMC (apparently - it starts over), then I put in the destination (SBSP). RTE is empty again. Then I go over the procedures, PERF etc, altitude FL320. RTE departure SID, arrival STAR etc,  and when I ACTIVATE the RTE, it says "UNABLE CRZ ALTITUDE". Which is weird, since it's about 500nm from SBVT to SBSP, and there's a real flight that goes up to FL360 on that same route. On my plan, the max altitude gets cut in FL120 or so and doesn't let me change it. So I went ahead anyway to see what happens. Started the flight without the FMC (just manual and AP). I noticed the destination distance kept increasing (contrary to what I expected since I'm going TOWARDS it). So on the FMC LEGS I copied another waypoint and pasted it in some waypoint before. That made everything go back to normal, and now the FL360 was accepted, and the destination distance decreases normally. I know it's not very clear, I would have to do a video step by step showing this, but if you know what I'm talking about, please let me know where I'm screwing this up. This never happens on the first flight. It's between flights, something I'm not doing with the FMC, like....reset it? Something like that?

Sorry for the confusion, I hope it's clear enough. The tutorials and manuals don't say anything about second flights, or at least I didn't find it.

thank you

axmiha.

Edited by axmiha

Entering the origin airport will indeed reset the route as you've discovered.

The "UNABLE CRZ ALTITUDE" happens for me when for some reason the FMC thinks the aircraft won't make it to that altitude on that route for some reason. The route may be too short (doesn't seem to be the case here) or there are some weird altitude restrictions or problems in the nav data. So you if you encounter this again check the legs page for altitude entries and change them if needed. Also, sometimes the FMC's altitude calculations can just glitch-out.

In any case it would help if you could state the exact route you entered (and custom nav data if any), so the devs can look at it.

Distance increasing is often a case of a missed waypoint. The FMC then wants you to go back and fly over it before continuing. Entering a new next waypoint will fix that.

Ok, thank you for the reply. Sorry the ignorance again, but what would be a custom nav data? Anything to do with sceneries? I do sceneries and I did these two airports (SBVT and SBSP), and SBSP have a modified mesh. Anything to do with that?

Sending pics of the route and the FMC pages.

Thank you.

route.jpg

unable_1.jpg

unable_2.jpg

Just like you can have modified scenery you can also install custom Nav data to match the current airways and fixes (see for example https://www.navigraph.com/) If you didn't install a package like that you're running stock nav data.

Looking at the pictures the altitudes definitely look weird: descending mid route and then climbing again. Not sure what would cause this.

Does this happen every time you enter that route or only after a previous flight? Which SID and STAR did you choose?

Can't seem to reproduce it on my system, but I do have custom nav data installed.

Custom nav data - ok, got it. No unfortunately I don't have Navigraph, so it's stock data, yes. 

I just restarted XPlane and started the plane cold and dark, and it worked fine. Reached FL360 no problem. The SID is MABSI1 (no STAR). The route is MABSI UZ44 PAGOG. So I guess it's only after a previous flight. That's one thing that happened, but I noticed other problems when I do more than one flight in sequence. One time I got a crash even. Always between flights. I do one flight and then start the other in sequence already afraid that something is gonna happen. Plugin incompatibility maybe? (I have FWL, X-Reloaded, Better Pushbak, things like that).

I would love to have Navigraph, because many (many) navaids in Brazil are missing in the stock nav data, specially in this São Paulo - Rio area, but....I don't think it's the problem here. Something with flights in sequence. Also, are there any known issues with the "turn around" mode? 

Hi axmiha,

the ability to do consecutive flights was added later in the run of our product - and it is a very complex procedure code-wise, resetting a lot of variables. It is also very hard to test, because obviously it takes a lot of time...

So it is quite possible that you discovered a hidden bug in our calculation, somewhere, probably unique to your situation.

We are planning to overhaul the whole VNAV calculation for a future update, especially to make the descent calculation more reliable. Therefore it would not much much sense to chase the quirk you encounter, as the whole architecture is going to change.

As a workaround I recommend to "reboot" gizmo after you park. Just click the little "flash" symbol on the right pop-out menu, then set up your plane again for the next flight.

As for your "turn around" mode problems, could you specify what you encounter?

Cheers, Jan

Hi, Jan, thanks for the response. Perfect, I'll do the flash thing, no problem. The "turn around" question was just a suspicion because - if I remember right - the flight when that error occurred started (the first flight) in the turn around mode (not cold & dark). But what you say about the consecutive flights code calculation makes more sense. It "smelled" like something like that. I can only imagine the complexity of these calculations. I'll be waiting for that overhaul with great anticipation. This plane is simply "delicious" (I'll bet no one ever used that adjective for the 737Classic).  Meanwhile, my AIRAC cycle (inside IXEG 737 Classic\fmc_data\NavData)  is 1509. Is there a way I can update that without Navigraph?

Thank you.

Hi - "delicious" is a first, I like it! It describes the feeling of flying the real aircraft very well, too ;-)

There is really no way to legally update the navdata-cycle. But buying a single update isn´t terribly expensive (ca. 10 Euros). Maybe we can negotiate with Navigraph to include a slightly newer nav-data package with one of our future updates, we well see.

Cheers, Jan

That would be great. Not expensive, but unfortunately I have no credit card with which I can make international purchases. ("How the hell did you buy the aircraft then??" - I hear you asking in your angry voice. I "borrowed" a friend's card. She didn't like it too much, but I simply had to have this baby). So...I'll be stuck in 1509. But that's not a problem. I'm a very beginner "pilot" with very beginner solitary flights. I'll try the circling procedure following Graeme's video and will probably land in the grass, so AIRAC is really not my worry.

Thanks, Jan.

If you want to have some fun try to fly KBUR to KLAS using old fashion VOR nav technique.

Depart KBUR using SID VAN NUYS THREE transition DAG

VNY3 DAG CRESO4 

VAN NUYS THREE departure will put you to your paces. You will sweat guaranteed :D:D:D This procedure is part of Pilotedge rating I-5

https://skyvector.com/files/tpp/1710/pdf/00067VANNUYS.PDF

VAN NUYS THREE departure will put you to your paces. You will sweat guaranteed [emoji3][emoji3][emoji3] This procedure is part of Pilotedge rating I-5

Good one! Pretty much messed up. The good thing about US routes is that fixes are quite always obtainable from VOR radial interceptions so you can handle most of RNAV routes with VOR/DME only if you like the old school navigation. On the other hand in Europe most fixes are only detectable by gps coordinates so that RNAV equipment is essential to deal with the majority of routes (and maybe that's what they want it to happen).

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, crisk73 said:

Good one! Pretty much messed up. The good thing about US routes is that fixes are quite always obtainable from VOR radial interceptions so you can handle most of RNAV routes with VOR/DME only if you like the old school navigation. On the other hand in Europe most fixes are only detectable by gps coordinates so that RNAV equipment is essential to deal with the majority of routes (and maybe that's what they want it to happen).

yup 100% agree.

16 hours ago, Litjan said:

For what it´s worth, the plane is perfectly flyable without FMS and it´s navdata, too. I suggest to take a look at the training videos we ship with the product, they describe "basic" navigation in detail.

Unless you fly online, having accurate navdata is really not such a big deal.

Cheers, Jan

Agree.

6 hours ago, mmerelles said:

If you want to have some fun try to fly KBUR to KLAS using old fashion VOR nav technique.

Depart KBUR using SID VAN NUYS THREE transition DAG

VNY3 DAG CRESO4 

VAN NUYS THREE departure will put you to your paces. You will sweat guaranteed :D:D:D This procedure is part of Pilotedge rating I-5

https://skyvector.com/files/tpp/1710/pdf/00067VANNUYS.PDF

Thank you, I will do that and later I'll post my injuries here! 

You guys are right. It's actually a bit idiotic to plan the FMC, take off, engage AP and then go to the sofa with my guitar an coffee until descent and landing time. I'll follow your suggestions, thank you. By the way, the other day when "rotate" came, I had no pitch and roll. I only had power and trim. The plane took off by itself and I almost shat in mi pants until it crashed. My god. I remembered the JAL crash, the United 232 etc, what those guys faced for real. I just screamed (I take this very seriously, you know) and at one point just watched it go down. I'll try the VAN NUYS THREE. Wish me luck! Ha ha...

Ok, see if I got the departure right.

KBUR to VNY

then R-255 of VNY (113.1)
then R-323 of LAX (113.6)
then R-046 of VTU (108.2)
at R-342 of LAX fly 038 to PMD (114.5) - or just fly 038 to PMD?
at PMD fly 067
at R-170 of EDW (116.4) [or R-269 of VCV (109.05)] fly 058 to DAG (113.2)

This is gonna be fun-ny.