Skymaxx v.3 Cloud Draw Distance

Moosen

Hell there

I recently bought Skymaxx v.3 and like what i can see so far. But when i switch the Cloud Draw Distance to a high distance i can see some clouds move in the same speed like my Plane and they are looking very strange. Dont know how to explain that properly. See for yourself.

757RR-RF_18.png

757RR-RF_19.png

Currently Flying 757 with .8 mach. Some clouds have the same speed like me other i can pass. The clouds which "fly" with me have a very strange resolution and allways have the same speed like me. It seems that clouds duplicate themself and the duplication then stay right with me.

757RR-RF_25.png

8 minutes ago, Moosen said:

Currently Flying 757 with .8 mach. Some clouds have the same speed like me other i can pass. The clouds which "fly" with me have a very strange resolution and allways have the same speed like me. It seems that clouds duplicate themself and the duplication then stay right with me.

Understood. Those are "imposters" to fill in gaps in distance. Maybe it's more noticeable with a lower draw distance as shown.

1 minute ago, Cameron said:

Understood. Those are "imposters" to fill in gaps in distance. Maybe it's more noticeable with a lower draw distance as shown.

So i just need to turn down the draw distance to a lower value that these Imposters will disappear. I cant turn off the imposters in another way right?

1 hour ago, Moosen said:

So i just need to turn down the draw distance to a lower value that these Imposters will disappear. I cant turn off the imposters in another way right?

Turning it down is not the solution from a technical standpoint.

I'm really not the one to discuss this either. @sundog  is better versed in this situation. Sorry!

1 hour ago, Cameron said:

Turning it down is not the solution from a technical standpoint.

I'm really not the one to discuss this either. Frank (@sundog) is better versed in this situation. Sorry!

Thank you Cameron, but after switching to the standard value these artifacts are gone. When i change to a higher value its there again.

Clouds more than 50km away are, as Cameron said, drawn as "dynamically generated imposters." In order to preserve performance, we draw these distant clouds as 2D textures, and only update them when your viewpoint moves by some significant amount. The other big flight simulators use a similar trick as well.

Usually it's not too noticeable, but if you're moving at high speeds and looking sideways relative to your motion, you start to see how the illusion works.

As you've already found, bringing in the draw distance to less than 50km eliminates the imposters, leaving you with only true 3D clouds in the scene.

It's working as intended; it's a trade off between perfection and performance.

Edited by sundog
  • Upvote 2

• 5 months later...
5 minutes ago, sizziano said:

I can confirm the white clouds at night, extremely irritating and it's been present in every version of SMP3.

The imposters do regenerate a tad slower during major time changes. The term white clouds at night is misleading since they will change just like our normal puffs.  I've noticed the effect too, but only when I'm playing with the time slider when testing, which I do a lot. When flying normally and allowing time to progress normally the effect is barely noticeable.

If the are taking a long time to regenerate it's possible you're pushing your system and taxing VRAM....