WinterMAXX

JohnMAXX

OK here are my latest SS's, I toned the normals down a bunch and integrated GlacierMAXX and BeachMAXX(which will be refined prior to release)....

hI0aRUi.jpg

jewv3S2.jpg

w68HxND.jpg

lpaKQU3.jpg

And a shot of the winter beaches.....these will be refined a bunch prior to release, maybe some ice flows or something :

uPZfcg8.jpg

Cool thing with using normals is how much better the shadowing is, good example is this pic below look how the mountains seem to have more detail:

96oqYkX.jpg

I am not finished with the refining of this add-on, but I feel I am moving in the right direction, whatca think?

Oh almost forgot a pic, this one shows some trees, X-Plane default but prior to release they will be custom:

F6yxBlx.jpg

Edited by JohnMAXX
  • Upvote 1

John, I see that you winter trees are not "optimal" ... but did you know, that there is already a winterized texture set, which can replace 1:1 the default (XP10) tree textures?

The current XP10 tree texture sets are all taken from my old XP9 forest scenery. And at that time, I once did a winterized (made by hand) version of those textures. You can find them here:

http://www.alpilotx.net/downloads/old-forest-downloads/

You need to look for:

Euro_trees_winter_v9.1.1

usa_trees_winter_v9.1.3

There you get 3 textures, which have exactly the same layout as the default tree textures (even the name of the default textures has a little hint at this, by having an "e" for Europe, and "uw" and "ue"  for USA West and USA East texture set)

• Upvote 1

For me, the way normal maps are used here looks rather unreal here ...  but this is only my opinion, and just a question of taste.

back home in BC, I know that one of most stunning things about the mountains in the winter is actually how smooth they are with the heavy snow blanketing them. Most of the snow here looks like the results of an avalanche because of the bumpiness. This is the sort of "smoothness" that I'm talking about:

snowy-mountain-6.jpg

Hm, the sky colors and the beach colors do NOT fit the winter season. But the rest of it I like very much and will probably buy! :)

Agreed, although the beach colours look like the arctic ice flows, which is REALLY cool and I can't wait to see this in action. On the other hand, it won't look right in the mountains, but there is always that tradeoff.

The snow beside the runway in that shot looks nice but snow isn't that bumpy, it's generally a weird smooth white blanket, which I have no clue how you would be able to do that with a large texture and not make it look like a sheet of paper.

Edited by Colin S