Your wishlists?

edwin

OK if you could have something you really wanted in v10 what would you go for?.

Mine at present would be a working Garmin GPS and a really decent map (Something like the Google flight planner Map but interactive) instead of the Tatt we've got!

• Upvote 1

I would like water areas to be visible as a reflective, undulating surface only. When I overlay aerial photographic scenery it wouldn't be cut by water areas, but would still have reflective properties. This improves realism of water bodies tenfold, esp rivers and coral reef areas.

How are you defining realistic?

Excuse me for quoting myself, but I think this covers my reasons fairly well:

I like to think about it like this. When you drive your car, most of us can probably turn on the indicator, press the cruise control, switch the lights, or turn up the radio without taking our eyes off the road for more than a split second. I recently watched two 737 pilots run through their preflight checklist. Of course making sure you flip the right switch on the over head is much more important than turning up your radio, but I asked them afterwards if they thought they could touch any requested switch on the panel with their eyes closed. They both agreed that their time in the cockpit would make this hardly any issue at all, although for safety reasons, it would never be done in a professional setting. But regardless, watching the speed at which they worked through the preflight was eye opening.

I think the closest we can come to replicating this kind of behavior in-sim is with 2D cockpits such as the one in the x737. Both the time and the amount of mental effort taken would be, I believe, most comparable to that of an actual cockpit.

The only area in which 2D cockpits stumble is obvious- their lack of 3D representation. However, I think even this can be reasonably overcome by using a triple monitor setup.

I can certainly see that 3D cockpits might be more useable and realistic with a triple monitor setup and a TrackIR. But because so few of us have access to those, I think 2D cockpits are still the best option for those of us looking for realism (which is why we use X-Plane... or else we'd all be on MSFS).

I think what your unhappy with is using a 3D cockpit, on a 2D projection monitor. It isn't a perfect setup by any means, but it certainly gives you an immersion factor that you can't get with a flat 2D panel IMHO...

If you want a more accurate feel, try using Track IR, or something that lets you scroll through the pit more freely and more realistically in the sense that it would feel more natural. Either that or start building sim pits, but that can get pricey...

I think what your unhappy with is using a 3D cockpit, on a 2D projection monitor. It isn't a perfect setup by any means, but it certainly gives you an immersion factor that you can't get with a flat 2D panel IMHO...

If you want a more accurate feel, try using Track IR, or something that lets you scroll through the pit more freely and more realistically in the sense that it would feel more natural. Either that or start building sim pits, but that can get pricey...

Even TrackIR wouldn't really help, as you still have things moving around. The feel I'm trying to replicate is, like I described above, one where you can sit in the driver's seat of your car, close your eyes, and turn on the radio, cruise control, and change the heat setting or fan selection. I feel like 2D cockpits are the closest you can get to this in X-Plane, because once you have your mouse at a reference point (say the heading select on an airliner) you know you go way down to get the FMC, or maybe left a bit to change your view range on the horizontal display. It still doesn't come close to the ideal situation of having a sim pit as you said, but I believe it to be much better than any 3D option.

The one time I really find myself wanting the TrackIR is when I'm flying GA and am working out the windows instead of in the cockpit throwing switches and spinning knobs. That would be cool...

Something I want in v10? How about a 2D cockpit in every plane, instead of all the 3D cockpits we see now that are completely unrealistic?

Now this one I cannot get my head around Kaphias---Unrealistc?-

So you live work and walk in a 2D world? Real pilots fly 2D Cockpits. And I'm not going to ask you to explain 2D sex ( But post some screenshots anyway) :D

What you desperately need is a Trakir5 mate.

Edited by edwin

I disagree about 2D cockpits being more realistic: you can't move your head around. You can't look left or right out the window, or glance up and down. It's especially galling in helicopters, where I move my head constantly.

TrackIR + a good 3D cockpit beats 2D any day.

I disagree about 2D cockpits being more realistic: you can't move your head around. You can't look left or right out the window, or glance up and down. It's especially galling in helicopters, where I move my head constantly.

TrackIR + a good 3D cockpit beats 2D any day.

As I said:

The one time I really find myself wanting the TrackIR is when I'm flying GA and am working out the windows instead of in the cockpit throwing switches and spinning knobs. That would be cool...

Add helicopters to that, it's the same idea. If I flew airliners VFR all the time then I'd use 3D cockpits. But as it happens, you spend an awful lot of time looking at instruments when flying airliners...

I think you might have started off simming in 2D as most of us had too because the (Obviously) more natural & now practically standard 3D was not available Kaphias -however things have improved radically.

Your 'instead of all the 3D cockpits we see now that are completely unrealistic?' goes to prove that point--2D cockpits cannot be more realistic as in reality they do not exist--never did-never will. What you are talking about is 2D representations of 3D objects. Unlike your 'plan' like 2D panels a simple flat photo of the Himalayas is 2D but semi rendered 3D in our brains because of something your panels lack-- perspective, the same can be said for so called 3D screens. Illusion.

Trakir results in a 2D image but the 3rd. dimension is seemingly brought into the visual equation by giving the impression of being able to 'walk down/into/around the missing third dimension of depth' And it works well and is VERY realistic once you get used to it. Albeit the motions are lesser you 'physically' look up to your overhead switches, left, right, down and even under and behind with Trakir & complete ALL your functions in the cockpit using the mouse/or mice (x2) as fingers/hands (Using Keyboards or Joystick switches/buttons or related external functions/commands is as realistic as your 2D panels unless they are actually represented on the plane you are flying) --you can only get more realistic than that by buying a Sim pit or plane.

Something I want in v10? How about a 2D cockpit in every plane, instead of all the 3D cockpits we see now that are completely unrealistic?

I don't see this so much as an X-Plane feature as it is a developer feature. I think having 2D cockpits is equally as important as 3D cockpits. I find that working through cockpit flows, setting things up, and for some aircraft, IFR flying, to be easier when using 2D panels. I love flying with 3D in general, but not so much when I need to setup an FMS, or make changes on the overhead panel, or make changes on the center consol. I like calling up a panel while in 3D to do that. It's one of the reasons why I love PMDG planes so much, and I absolutely love the new 737. I fly in 3D view, set everything up in 2D, and make changes in flight 2D. It just works better than panning around and adjusting your view. Especially if you have a lower performing graphics card, where the graphics in 3D look a bit fuzzy.

Basically its just a matter of choice & I 'never' fly the big Airliners so never come across the type of problems you may. I can set up all my panels FMS etc. from the pilots seat/position in 3D and don't even need to jump into 2D to call up the false FMS panel on the Corvaliss TT--the one between the seats is fine. I use the Saitek X52 which I've been very happy with it but for reality's sake thats going to have to be changed for a Yoke as the Throttle comes to fit the left hand (No option) and I would need to sit in the co-pilots seat to use it realistically (And for some reason I just cannot get around using a Joystick with my left hand??) Cheers Mac.