The Hotstart Challenger 650 rocks!

FYG001

Guys - this have to get off my chest:

I have been exclusively flying the Challenger 650 for many months now, and I still find enormous pleasure in every flight I make!
I really still learn every day about the aircraft and it systems, be it the avionics, but also the aircraft systems itself, the flight envelope etc. The videos I watched in the beginning make much more sense now, as I now can appreciate every little detail in them, detail I can put to use now. The X-Pilot forum is an incredible source of information, with a very high level of knowledge and support. Second to none. It has also given me an edge in understanding the real life problems we encounter with our CL650.
The aircraft has taken taken me all around Europe in about 150 flights, almost all of them on VATSIM creating an added dimension of 'surprise' - they never give you what you expect.

In short, in my view this aircraft is absolutely worth every penny and I'm looking forward to making many, many more flights with it!

The picture - Challenger meets Challenger during a VATSIM on line event in Corfu, Greece86265417_CL650-2022-07-3122_37_31.thumb.png.b56f19e8f1e1bd04e1f26de5330f03fa.png

• Like 4

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

After almost 300 H flying the Challenger (which is incidentally approximately what our pilots fly the Challenger IRL), and more than 300 flighths, the aircraft keeps amazing me.

One of the last flights it threw a NOSE DOOR unsafe at me after take off. Into the hold for trouble shooting, and at the third recycle I got the warning off. 
Yesterday I had a 'sticky' APU LCV valve, would not open. ASU start and I was on my way. After a complete power down the LCV came back to life.
Same flight I had the ATS FAIL, not a biggie and good to really get the feeling for manual trust, cleared after a complete power off.

I am wondering is this intentionally built into the aircraft? I have failures OFF(VATSIM controllers don't like aircraft failures). Or is this wear and tear on my machine? Any way, it teaches you the systems and the study guide is invaluable in those cases.

Finally, knowledge of the fuel systems through amongst others the study guide, helped me in explaining a fuel problem we had on our CL650 recently. I was looked at in amazement - how does he know all that? ;-)

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...
On 3/2/2023 at 1:38 AM, FYG001 said:

One of the last flights it threw a NOSE DOOR unsafe at me after take off.

Little bit late on this one, but this warning is because you rotated at too high a speed.  IIRC, once you pass 190kts on the ground, this warning will come up if you have not started closing the gear doors.

Thanks Goran, but I would be very surprised if I rotated at 190 kts on the 4500ft RWY where it happened I also always use the V speeds call out  script, rotating exactly on the Vr call-out. Anyway, did not happen again. 

Curious, do you have some system degradation for the airframe or engines after x hours of flying? Also cosmetically? 

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/8/2023 at 3:31 AM, FYG001 said:

Thanks Goran, but I would be very surprised if I rotated at 190 kts on the 4500ft RWY where it happened I also always use the V speeds call out  script, rotating exactly on the Vr call-out. Anyway, did not happen again. 

Curious, do you have some system degradation for the airframe or engines after x hours of flying? Also cosmetically? 

Apologies for being late again.  Hard to keep up sometimes.  We're looking at some kind of maintenance addition.  No promises yet, but it's on the table.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

I only got the Hot Start Challenger very recently. Actually, this is what got me into X-Plane after all.

And I have to say: this is by far the best aircraft simulation I've ever seen, and I've come a long way from the FS2004 days.
I've not been flying anything else than the Challenger since I got it, and it seems it is going to stay that way.
Every other simulation just pales in comparison.
I've been waiting all my simmer life for a really good simulation of a heavier (i. e. super-midsize to large) business jet. And here it is!

Too bad there are currently limitations by X-Plane itself (e. g. for weather radar or EVS), but I am sure the good people at Hot Start will get this done too as soon as X-Plane is up to it.
I'm very excited about the future developments of the Hot Start Challenger!

Edited by bpcw0001
  • Upvote 1