Dash 8 Q400

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So Anyone interested in reading something about the Dash?

http://armchairaviation.com/Store/manualStorage/FJS-Dash_8_Q400_Manual.pdf

Hey, guys,

As this plane runs with Gizmo, can you please go into detail as to what Gizmo controls? It appears almost all of this plane is driven by generics as it stands now. Cross-referencing my Q400 manual it appears that many procedural items are also left out. A detailed description would be awesome! :)

Gizmo controls everything that the real life Q400 pilot requires that X-Plane cannot simulate properly, as outlined in our manual. We mostly use it for Systems depth, among other uses. Our manual covers everything pertinent to this simulation of the Q400, and will be regularly updated as we update the plane.

Gizmo controls everything that the real life Q400 pilot requires that X-Plane cannot simulate properly, as outlined in our manual. We mostly use it for Systems depth, among other uses. Our manual covers everything pertinent to this simulation of the Q400, and will be regularly updated as we update the plane.

Joe,

I could say this for any aircraft if I wanted to. I'm asking for a detailed list of what you guys have utilized Gizmo for. It is always rewarding to see it used for projects, including this one. What is the most complex system coded with Gizmo for the Q400? What does "systems depth" entail? I'm reading through the manual...I'm not seeing much outside of generics overall, hence why I am asking this question! I want to know what I am going to be buying! :)

What does Gizmo control on the Q400?

Gizmo controls some rather basic functions that otherwise would not work correctly as in the real Q400. For instance, the main reason i started using Gizmo was the lack of an option to have one switch control both the beacon and Strobe lights by switching one off as the other comes on. From that i built upon many things that X-planes default way of doing things just wasn't right the way i wanted them.

From that i have, without going totally out of control, modified to my liking systems that would work just how they are in the Q400.

Examples are:

• Feathering system.
    transponder
    fuel pumps
    hydraulic PTU
    caution and warning test switch
    augmented navigational information to optimize generic instrument count.
    VmoCue logic.
    Ice Protection panel lights and switches.
    engine intake switches.
    bleed annunciators
    FLIGHT/TAXI switch logic.
    engine idle augmented to represent real world Q400 numbers.
    engine start sequence.
    anti Col light Switch.

Plus i have set several switches to default on startup which differs from then normal X-plane defaults to represent how a Q400 would be left after a flight.

This, of course is only the tip of the iceberg and i will be continuing to expand on this list for future updates. Gizmo allows for a lot of potential to create realistic aircraft simulations.

What does Gizmo control on the Q400?

Gizmo controls some rather basic functions that otherwise would not work correctly as in the real Q400. For instance, the main reason i started using Gizmo was the lack of an option to have one switch control both the beacon and Strobe lights by switching one off as the other comes on. From that i built upon many things that X-planes default way of doing things just wasn't right the way i wanted them.

From that i have, without going totally out of control, modified to my liking systems that would work just how they are in the Q400.

Examples are:

• Feathering system.
    transponder
    fuel pumps
    hydraulic PTU
    caution and warning test switch
    augmented navigational information to optimize generic instrument count.
    VmoCue logic.
    Ice Protection panel lights and switches.
    engine intake switches.
    bleed annunciators
    FLIGHT/TAXI switch logic.
    engine idle augmented to represent real world Q400 numbers.
    engine start sequence.
    anti Col light Switch.

Plus i have set several switches to default on startup which differs from then normal X-plane defaults to represent how a Q400 would be left after a flight.

This, of course is only the tip of the iceberg and i will be continuing to expand on this list for future updates. Gizmo allows for a lot of potential to create realistic aircraft simulations.

Cool Jack, thanks.

Hi, Jack,

Thanks for that. So it sounds like default X-Plane systems drive the aircraft, and you alter smaller default systems with setting dataref numbers. It's still fun to see instruments/annunciators change though. :)

Can you please explain this in depth: augmented navigational information to optimize generic instrument count?

Also, can you explain the use of the VmoCue logic? Are you drawing with OpenGL, or are you altering X-Plane datarefs to set values on the display?

Can you please explain this in depth: augmented navigational information to optimize generic instrument count?

Also, can you explain the use of the VmoCue logic? Are you drawing with OpenGL, or are you altering X-Plane datarefs to set values on the display?

First part is easy, instead of say having 5 different generic rotary items on the 3d panel, along with show and hide, i would use one and then feed info i need into Gizmo and have it pop out what i need the rotary to show. My logic behind this is that less generics save on FPS, and gizmo is hella fast so i feel no need not to just pump whatever into it.

The VmoCue is similar, instead of using 5 deferent, static cues that show hide at different altitudes, i have one cue run by gizmo that smoothly changes between each altitude using a interpolation operation.

Thanks again, Jack!

First part is easy, instead of say having 5 different generic rotary items on the 3d panel, along with show and hide, i would use one and then feed info i need into Gizmo and have it pop out what i need the rotary to show. My logic behind this is that less generics save on FPS, and gizmo is hella fast so i feel no need not to just pump whatever into it.

This does not sound like "augmented navigational information" to me. It sounds like knob logic by way of datarefs. I understand what you are doing and why, but to the customer here it sounded a bit more sophisticated than you have just outlined (as in some form of actual navigational data was being altered), so I appreciate the clarity here. I now see that such is not the case.

The VmoCue is similar, instead of using 5 deferent, static cues that show hide at different altitudes, i have one cue run by gizmo that smoothly changes between each altitude using a interpolation operation.

Sounds good. I can appreciate anything that simplifies generic load.

I guess my confusion was further stemmed from your and Joe's rather contradictory remarks.

Joe stated:

"Gizmo controls everything that the real life Q400 pilot requires that X-Plane cannot simulate properly, as outlined in our manual. We mostly use it for Systems depth..."

You (Jack) came in two posts later with a statement of:

"Gizmo controls some rather basic functions that otherwise would not work correctly as in the real Q400."

These are two very different things, and from what you have said, it's not so much about true systems "depth" as Joe has outlined, but more about a means to simplify the load of generics, hide/shows, and altering datarefs that X-Plane already provides to you in default systems.

I appreciate the candor here, and very much look forward to purchasing your product! I will use Joe's and your own statements here in my first published public review as a base of what to look for in this hopefully great and fun aircraft on the horizon!

detailed manual to say the least.  :)

Will this plane run fine on 4GB of Ram, 256mb video card, and a 2.26 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo with x-plane settings reasonably high?

-cheers

Same question as said above... Could it possibly run on a macbook air 11' res of: 1366-768, a 1.4ghz dual core, 2gb ram, and a 256mb video card?

Maxime

detailed manual to say the least.  :)

Will this plane run fine on 4GB of Ram, 256mb video card, and a 2.26 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo with x-plane settings reasonably high?

-cheers

Same question as said above... Could it possibly run on a macbook air 11' res of: 1366-768, a 1.4ghz dual core, 2gb ram, and a 256mb video card?

Maxime

As a rule of thumb, I have to say, if you can run Ramzzess SSJ, then you will be able to run the Q400 no problem. Frankly, 1.4 ghz, only 2 gigs of ram, and 256 mb video card may not cut it. I would recommend a 2.66 Ghz duel core with 4 gigs of ram and 512 mb video ram.

Ok thanks, i am really looking forward to this plane!!!

Will the plane have dynamic lighting with the landing, strobe, beacon lights?

Thanks,

Maxime

If by dynamic you mean using lit texture to make the lights glow/shine onto the exterior of the plane, then yes. if you look at the image i have posted of the Qantas at night, you will see that.