Dash 8 Q400

Jack Skieczius

I haven't built a Linux version of Gizmo 11.3.15+ yet.

As soon as I do there product will probably be Linux compatible.

I lost a hard drive a few weeks back, and with it, my X-Plane Linux install.

Your query brings my list of "Linux people that want Gizmo that I know about" to a grand total of three.

I might build Gizmo 11.4 for Linux, I'm about to build it for Windows. If it won't build without a fight no promises.

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If only it would cost 30$  :-[

I would really like to have it, but with the upcoming CRJ release,

which will be for sure very expansive, i just can't afford both.

Well i could, but both fit into the same role although the Dash

can transport more people and is a little bit bigger.

But those 40 bucks are just a bit too much, for only getting eye-candy.

At least thats the impression i got from it, when reading posts about it.  :-[

If only it would cost 30$  :-[

I would really like to have it, but with the upcoming CRJ release,

which will be for sure very expansive, i just can't afford both.

Well i could, but both fit into the same role although the Dash

can transport more people and is a little bit bigger.

But those 40 bucks are just a bit too much, for only getting eye-candy.

At least thats the impression i got from it, when reading posts about it.  :-[

I agree, 20-30 bucks would be more reasonable, although Jack did say he might add more systems later. Time will tell how much of that gets done in the end.

I found a strange behaviour when using UFMC by javier cortes - after a while of climb all of the sudden the mixture_ratio closes and of course the engines stopps - I tried this several times and I found this only with using UFMC - I do not know but I feel there is a compatability problem with GIZMO. I think this might be really the problem.

So what we have for now is a new DASH8 Q400 payware for very proud € 28,30  or $ 40,00 which does not work with vasFMC, not with UFMC, not with KLN90B - maybe with xreality GPS (with outdated data, or maybe with FTS garmin only in USA) So for now we have to use the nice xplane default FMC with a custom button layout.....

I feel that this model is a very beta model for a very proude price.

Not a very good idea like this!

Regards Tomski

Hi Benn, please tell me why is the GIZMO plugin not compatible with the UFMC of Javier Cortez - no way to use the UFMC with the new Dash8 driven by GIZMO - but maybe it is not a GIZMO problem it is more a problem of the script for GIZMO - I do not know. What I know is that I have problems if the GIZMO occurs - never with the SASL plugin.

Reagards Tobs

Hi Benn, tell me why is the GIZMO plugin not compatible with the UFMC of Javier Cortez - no way to use the UFMC with the new Dash8 driven by GIZMO - but maybe it is not a GIZMO problem it is more a problem of the script for GIZMO - I do not know. What I know is that I have problems if the GIZMO occurs - never with the SASL plugin.

Reagards Tobs

Please don't post false assumptions.

Gizmo works just fine with the UFMC, and always has. I use these two as a combo on a daily basis.

Hi Benn, tell me why is the GIZMO plugin not compatible with the UFMC of Javier Cortez - no way to use the UFMC with the new Dash8 driven by GIZMO - but maybe it is not a GIZMO problem it is more a problem of the script for GIZMO - I do not know. What I know is that I have problems if the GIZMO occurs - never with the SASL plugin.

Reagards Tobs

Gizmo works just fine with the UFMC, and always has. I use these two as a combo on a daily basis.

Hi Cameron - please read again -  this is more a question! The statement is that I have much more problems with GIZMO then with SASL - and this is true in my case!

Regards Tom

Hi Cameron - please read again -  this is more a question! The statement is that I have much more problems with GIZMO then with SASL - and this is true in my case!

Regards Tom

Tom,

I've read the post.

Gizmo is very advanced in comparison to SASL, and any problems are usually related to a SASL product clashing with a Gizmo one. Gizmo is simply a terminal to feed info into from developers, so if you're having issues with a product and utilization of the UFMC, the problem is likely going to lie with how the developer has coded his/her scripts. Gizmo only does what it's told, just like a C plug-in. :)

Saying Gizmo causes a lot of problems is relative. I could say that SASL causes me a lot of problems, beacuse, well...it does...relatively speaking. ;)

Reagards Tobs

Cameron, intersting that you are able to use GIZMO and UFMC - please tell me which plane you are using with GIZMO and UFMC as a combo -  I want to try and see what happens on my system.

Regards Tom

Cameron, intersting that you are able to use GIZMO and UFMC - please tell me which plane you are using with GIZMO and UFMC as a combo -  I want to try and see what happens on my system.

Regards Tom

Tom,

I have tested it extensively with non-released products that use Gizmo at their very core. I have never had any issues at ALL.

To further this, I often times will use default aircraft (like the 747) as a testbed for Gizmo scripts that I create. The UFMC works great in these scenarios in conjunction with Gizmo as well.

If you're interested in testing things out, go ahead and create a simple script for an aircraft (read through the Gizmo forum and learn how to make a simple dataref or something), and then test your aircraft with Gizmo and the UFMC running.

Easier still, test UFMC without Gizmo installed at all.

But I digress, this is a waste of your time TOBS.

Gizmo has two known clash issues: Sometimes with SOUND and sometimes with SASL. Nothing else.

Any further assertions can be made in the appropriate forum WITH more foundation than;

" I do not know but I feel there is a compatability problem with GIZMO. I think this might be really the problem."

Which is just bullshit.

Well, i would like to do some more test myself before pointing a finger at any plugin system. In fact I don't think it is the plugin systems that are the problem. i think the problem lies in how UFMC operates. As from what i can see, it is programed under the assumption that you are flying a jet. But again, I will do some tests and also I will be contacting Javier Cortes to see if there is anything we can work out to make it work better with the Q400.

I will get back to you all on this soon.

Easier still, test UFMC without Gizmo installed at all.

But I digress, this is a waste of your time TOBS.

Gizmo has two known clash issues: Sometimes with SOUND and sometimes with SASL. Nothing else.

Any further assertions can be made in the appropriate forum WITH more foundation than;

" I do not know but I feel there is a compatability problem with GIZMO. I think this might be really the problem."

Which is just bullshit.

Yes the bullshit you are talking of is the waste of the bullshit money - I am not a programmer I am a damned bullshit user who did a bullshit donation....to you  Thank you very much

I'm not asking you to program.

I'm asking you to play "logical deduction." Try turning one thing off at a time until you find a match.

Very simple rules.

Instead, you have come to the forum and posted publicly:

"I do not know but,"

"I feel"

"there is a compability problem with Gizmo."

You do not know, but based on your simple gut feeling, you assume that Gizmo is the problem.

You take the problem public without doing ANY work to further test and refine your assumptions.

You are being lazy.

I will freely admit Gizmo has its share of issues. See above for details.

Additionally, you haven't shared the version number of Gizmo you're using. Further frustration ensues.

If you're using Gizmo 10.x some of the very late versions will cut power FOR DRM products NOT ACTIVATED.

The following assumes that you're using Gizmo 11.x.

There is no reason for Gizmo to "suddenly zero your mixtures".

Why would it do that Tom? Please explain what I might have been thinking when I put that in.

What made you assume that I would want to put such a thing in?

When Gizmo clashes with SASL or plugins that use sound it is generally a catastrophic failure.

The sounds play corrupted.

The sim crashes.

There is no known clash where Gizmo sneakily waits until you're in a climb under auto pilot command and then yanks only your fuel mixture, just for a laugh.

Had you added the simple words;

"..because this drives me crazy, I have even tested a UFMC clibm without gizmo installed at all, and it doesnt happen anymore, therefor PROVING that gizmo is the problem" this conversation would go very differently.

As is, you are behaving like a lazy irrational customer who just wants to bitch.

As a finishing note, thank you for donating to the project, you have helped Gizmo grow so that thousands of people can enjoy X-Plane to a new level.

I continue to work hard every day like all the other X-Plane Developers so that we can bring you more stuff to use with the hope of some day making nice return on our work, be it financial or otherwise.

Personally I see great satisfaction in someone going from "bare bones X-Plane" to "look at all the crazy stuff I can do with Gizmo.." in about two days on average.

I hope that in future other people will be encouraged to donate as you have done.

I feel that the number of takers vs care-takers isn't high enough, so I've stuck a nagware in.

It's still entirely free to try out, use, reship, and make derivatives of, something you won't find in many other products for X-Plane.

Good day.

So what we have for now is a new DASH8 Q400 payware for very proud € 28,30  or $ 40,00 which does not work with vasFMC, not with UFMC, not with KLN90B - maybe with xreality GPS (with outdated data, or maybe with FTS garmin only in USA) So for now we have to use the nice xplane default FMC with a custom button layout.....

Have you tried the "flightplan" only mode on the new vasFMC 2.10? It will probably work just fine.  You don't get all the speed, altitude and fuel calculations, but some times all you need is an easy way to enter a flightplan and be able to change SID/STARS with a click of a button :-)

After messing around with the UFMC, i would not recommend is for the Q400. It takes control of the vertical speed modes on the autopilot which it dosnt not need to. this along gives me a headache.

other then that UFMC is great, and i would love to see if it can be setup to work with the Q400 better.

I used VasFMC once and i will have to take another look at it again soon to see how the Q400 works with it.

Thanks man. This one is actually on my list to fix. i noticed it a few days ago myself. odd thing is, it did work right for a while then somehow it started reading wrong. Oh the mysteries of X-Plane.

Also noticed that sometimes the default X-Plane FMC will delete everything and then your just lost wondering where you are.

did not experience that one yet.

you asked about the hi rez liveries: on my machine I can use them nealry everywhere and all the time. however, in very intense regions (= lots of custom scenery), they are just a tiny bit too much using Vram and x-plane kicks me. So yes, for those regions, I have to fly the low rez ones or turn my xplane settings down. won't like to do the latter, so please keep always both (at least until xplane became 64-bit).

Actually Nova, after having an informative conversation with Ben Supnik a few days back, it is like this.

X-Plane, cause it is only a 32bit program, can only access somewhere between 3 and 4 gigs or memory. no mater how much memory you have on your system, that is the limit. If you have a small 256 MB GFX card, most of the graphics will be in system memory. if you reach the limit, x-plane will crash, most of the time. So it pays a little bit to have a larger Graphics card.

Still, until the day X-plane is converted over to 64 bit, we will have this limit hanging over us.

This is not exactly all bad thought, but it is good to know as a developer.

someday, far into the future, X-Plane will be upgraded to 64 bit. It is not exactly an easy thing.

Although i wasn't sure if i might regret getting it, i bought it.  ::) Just couldn't resist.

It's a very simple plane. You can get it into the air by clicking approximately 5 buttons.

That bugged me quite a bit, but i really like how this plane flys!

It needs quite a bit of attention on the aileron trim (remembers me of the MU) and

i'm still having problems with tailstrikes when landing with flap 35. But i like the flap 15

approach more, since it's not so slow.

I did three legs yesterday, with her. EDDM --> EDDS --> EDDF --> EDDN

I get the distance/zoom bug of the fmc too, plus the typo is really tiny. But i guess

it is just the result of the not functioning zoom. Waypoints should be better readable

when zoomed in. And the a/p overshoots most of the time when it comes to turn to

the next waypoint. It starts the turn before the waypoint, but can't complete it soon

enough. So you overshoot and then the a/p aligns himself with a small s-turn.

And when you are asked to do a dct, then it wouldn't turn immediatelly, but continues

to fly on the old track for a few miles, and then turns. He even shows this on the MFD.

The other thing that bothers me, is the flight/ground setting when taxing. I need quite

a bit of power to get it rolling, but then i'm getting into flight mode again. :-\ So i often

"have to" engage ground mode again. But i ignored that on the last flight, because it

doesn't seem to have an noticable impact, except that the spoilers are deployed.

Oh and something interesting happend when i wanted to takeoff for the first time. I

pulled the throttle to max, but the plane wasn't accelerating at all. Couldn't get over

15knots until i checked the flight dynamics (the green/red lines). Seems like the props

stall if you don't have anough speed when you use max power. Took me a while to

figure it out. ;D

And although i got about 50% more VRAM (1280 now, had 864) the high rez textures

give me some serious trouble. Was about 10nm out of EDDF when i suddenly was getting

huuuuuuuuuge lag, so i had to land it with external view and dataref showing me the

speed. After i had lot of lag with the high rez textures offline, i only used the files for the

cockpit. But they seem to need so much VRAM that big airports made me lag.

I never had "compress vram" on, until yesterday. But with it on i can use the whole high

rez pack with even more fps. I always thought that things might look uglier when compressed

but i haven't seen a difference.

Oh and could you include a qnh/inch changer? I had to get a inch/qnh indicator plugin to

be able to get the right inch set. Europeans primary use qnh not inch.

I still think 30-35$ would fit better, but anyway, i realy like it. It's so much fun to watch

and fly it. Don't regret it. It was a good investment, and with the bugs hopefully getting

eliminated it will be even better. Nice done!  ;)