The Immortal DHC-2 Beaver

Pete_SMS

Because the Beaver is THE ultimate bush plane and my absolute favorite when it comes to this type of flying. I love it, and this is what drives me during development. I couldn't just do an aircraft I can't releate to.

There are only very few aircraft I would like to develop for X-Plane and all of them are a little older and have some history. ;)

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hey, quick question, are the liveries based on real Beavers, or exact liveries of real Beavers?

Just wondering after browsing around dhc2.com

Ok, after looking a bit more, I want to tell you that something is wrong.

N2978 should be N297B (bravo)

http://www.dhc-2.com/id1054.htm

For others, here are the other real liveries-

http://www.dhc-2.com/id370.htm

http://www.dhc-2.com/id160.htm

Good one Ryan, that was indeed a bug in the texture. That will get fixed of course!

The Beaver flight model moved out of alpha state into beta state. However, the alpha model was behaving more than satisfactory already, so it could have been beta already, but now its time to put on more cream. :)

While the flight model will be checked out in detail by the beta team, I will continue with cockpit animations, manipulators and systems code, so the whole Beaver can move into beta state.

Having lots of fun! :)

It's funny... had there not been the smiling pilot in the cockpit some sequences made me think this video had been created in a flight simulator. I think it is the purity of the shots, just the water surface, the sunset, and the plane that made me feel this way. Most real world aviation videos have this moment of imperfection that makes them look more "real" than what we see in a sim, but this video here does not have any imperfection, it's just 100% perfect.

• 4 weeks later...

Here comes a cockpit shot of the Beaver in XP10. Lighting looks good so far and 3D really comes alive now. This cockpit is still using modern radios with digital dispays  on the co-pilot panel, but they will be replaced with older style radios soon. Fits much better to the cockpit. 

Hope you like the picture....

BeaverXP10_zpsc2827746.jpg

• Upvote 12

• 2 weeks later...

Dear Peter,

I must say that this is the aircraft I am most looking forward to fly in recent years...

I am a Falcon 4 old timer (love the Viper), I am a big DCS fan, (I have mastered all of their products), I love the CRJ-200, and the most recent A320NEO (amazing)... BUT...

Your Beaver is the best looking cockpit and the most realistic looking aircraft in a simulator that I have ever seen...

And besides, even though air combat and fancy flight plans are great toy... flying in the rockies with a beaver is the best!!!

When do you think you can release it?

please????

Jean-Francois

Dear Jean-Francois,

Thank you very much for your interest and nice comments.

We kind of have the same background. I was a hardcore Falcon 4 user for many years in the past and also use DCS, but only to fly around in a realistic P-51D. The A-10C is amazing with high fidelity, but I am lacking time to really get involved there as well.

A few years ago, I fell in love with bush flying and also developed an interest in add-on development. Guess that came naturally, because I am a real world pilot and professional simulation/aerospace engineer. At that time, I was still using FS2004/FSX (started using it with Flight Simulator II), but Microsoft shut down the Aces studio and I thought, like so many others, that FSX will be dead as a development platform soon. As you know that is very far from reality and developers are still pushing the boundaries every day, delivering amazing products and it will stay like that for some years to come, I am sure.

However, I chose X-Plane as my development platform and I will stay with it, because it has LOTS of potential. It is like a huge sandbox with many possibilities and opportunities, even it drives me crazy sometimes. ;)

Air Combat is challenging and demanding and I like it in a simulator, but I agree with you that flying a bush plane in the Rockies, Alaska or in the valleys of BC is just amazing and creates even more fun, if you do it in a realistic way using real weather.

As for the release date, I can just repeat what I said in the past. I will only give a release date if I am sure that I can make it. I don’t want to disappoint anybody. There are too many factors involved which can change the release date. This is my first real add-on and I have to find out dev things from time to time, which takes time, and also real life gets in the way often as a part time developer with a full time day job.

However, I can assure you that Beaver development is moving forward nicely. I hope to have the cockpit fully animated by the end of this week and also the flight model is in beta, being tested and evaluated by the test team and it is behaving great so far. The beta team consists of people with a strong technical background, people with a strong background in bush flying and real world pilots with flying experience in the Beaver and other similar aircraft types. We at SoulMade Simulations want to create the ultimate experience for a specific aircraft and the initial/first aircraft release will just be the beginning. So not one aircraft after another. There will be more to come for the Beaver and in general, but I can’t talk about it right now, because these things have never been done for X-Plane and I guess also not for FSX. However, that info will only be revealed after successful prototyping and when implementation is on its way, ready to be shown off. First things first, though.

So I ask you and all the others waiting for the Beaver, please be patient with me … :)

• Upvote 2