X-aviation and Carenado?

Kesomir

As a follow-up to this post, XA will not be carrying this product (Mooney M20J) due to quality issues.

We have a bar of quality that we wish to achieve and offer to our customers, and as a result it was felt that this particular aircraft does not meet that standard. I believe their products are well represented in MSFS, but this did not fully carry over to the X-Plane model for sale.

It is advised that you purchase from the available outlets (org or Carenado) for your purchase of this product should you so choose in the event you were holding out to support X-Aviation.

This is not a public knock on Carenado, and I wish them great success on this product. Perhaps future products will show up with us.

Thanks for everyone's consideration! :P

Happy Flights!

is the "quality issue" concerning the graphic or the flight model?

It says quality. Cameron says Carnedao to the standard of their aircraft in FSX he would have accepted but he says their xplane mooney is not to the standard of the FSX one. In the end its up to Cameron who has very high standards of quality control and in the end its probably a good thing

As a follow-up to this post, XA will not be carrying this product (Mooney M20J) due to quality issues.

For what it's worth, I just posted a question on the .org asking for feedback about the flight model quality, and that was before seeing your post here. I'm assuming your objection was something related to the flight model and not the cockpit modeling? That could use some clarification.

It will be interesting to see how this goes, and I can't help but say that I'm bringing out the popcorn for this one. :P

I never knew you wouldn't except an aircraft like this. It has normal maps and yes the cockpit is a bit flawed but its still a good aircraft. Damn I'll have to buy it off the org.

If it looks good to you, buy it! There's no harm there! :P If you wish not to buy from the org, you have a choice and may purchase at the Carenado website: http://www.carenado.com/ecommerce/buscador.php3?categoria=21

is the "quality issue" concerning the graphic or the flight model?

Our process of quality control generally deals with flight model and the eye candy factor. There have been some preliminary issues with the flight model, but it's relatively minor. The graphics/3D Modeling are the bigger hold up, and the main reason this product will not be carried with XA.

To many, this product may appear good and suit the bill. Not everyone has the same tastes or expectations, however, we try to please everyone who purchases our products. X-Aviation is primarily about quality over quantity when it comes to what we publish, as we feel customers would rather feel comfortable knowing we're relatively consistent with our product releases and the quality contained within instead of having a full catalog of a guessing game as to whether your hard earned money is well spent.

I'm not here to review or criticize this product. A lot of hard work was put into it, but it just didn't suit the bill for XA.

Either way, it's great to see Carenado in the market!

The main issue for me is no Linux version... "– Windows 7, Vista, XP and MAC OS 10.3.9 (or higher) compatible -" according to their product page. And no information about operating system compatibility on the org.

Hi, Max,

I believe it was simply left out of the description, but I don't believe there should be much of any problem running it on Linux.

I've been flying Carenado products for many years now, and in terms of MSFS they are probably the premier GA aircraft developer out there. I will definitely get this one as my primary gripe seems to have been resolved. Having a look on the new screenshots on their website the GNS 430 (although the dimensions seem off) now has 3D knobs and is not the 2d perspective textured version anymore.

Again, I am referring to their screenshots and haven't tried it for myself yet, but the night-lighting seems very rudimentary - to such an extent where some instruments just look like their daytime counterparts. This might be some if the quality issues Cameron was referring to. That is something wherein the X-Aviation aircraft really excels, and one cannot expect Cameron to point out the exact issues or course.

Look, I don't know how long they (Carenado) have been involved in the X-Plane scene, but this is not a bad first effort. Their 3d work is very good as always, and their texturing manages to convey a real life look. I have sat in many old GA cockpits that looked like a cat's litterbox, and this cockpit is a great representation of that: missing instrument here, piece of rubber that will most probably pop out of the panel with the next carrier-deck landing there. It looks like an aircraft that has seen some flying, and something that I'm sure many real pilots used to hire&fly aircraft can associate with.

Fortunately it is my birthday tomorrow, so I can get this one as well as the Mentor when the "buy the thing now darnit!" button pops up on X-Aviation.  :P

Ladies and gents, this is truly a great time for X-Plane, and it's getting better every day.

Fortunately it is my birthday tomorrow, so I can get this one as well as the Mentor when the "buy the thing now darnit!" button pops up on X-Aviation.  :P

Ladies and gents, this is truly a great time for X-Plane, and it's getting better every day.

Happy Birthday Wambark and

Yes this is a great time for X-plane as a community and a simulator

The doors open too  :P

I must say I think the Mooney looks worth the purchase. It's not at the cutting edge of x-plane aircraft, but that's because this is converting from FSX and that is now a bit behind x-plane.

Doesn't look vastly different to the FSX model of the same plane to me from the screenshots - perhaps that's the issue, not enough has been taken advantage of what can be done in x-plane.

I think it's a good entry to x-plane and probably worth supporting to see if we get any more. It's certainly in the top end of x-plane addons given the choice we have.

The main issue for me is no Linux version... "– Windows 7, Vista, XP and MAC OS 10.3.9 (or higher) compatible -" according to their product page. And no information about operating system compatibility on the org.

Hi, Max,

I believe it was simply left out of the description, but I don't believe there should be much of any problem running it on Linux.

You were right Cameron !  :P I contacted their support and now they added Linux in the description of their product page.

Since I have some experience converting aircraft from FSX I can clearly say that hard faces are something you cant avoid. Apart from that the models are very low poly. For example the A330 had some 25000 faces but I juiced it up to 40000. I still need to add more. I think the reason behind this is the high amount anti aliasing in FSX and the models being low poly to counteract that fact

Tom,

I concur with your conclusions. Nice exterior, the panel is in need of work, but the flight model, particularly the a/p, is downright strange to me and is taking time to get used to. There is an interesting implementation of the ADF, however. You tune by putting the cursor over the numeral in the display; the cursor changes to the +/- arcs and you click each numeral up or down. Simple, direct, effective, and while completely non-standard it works well. Radios have Dan's X:Y axis tuning. Writing a review for this one is tough, as you can imagine.

There is an interesting implementation of the ADF, however. You tune by putting the cursor over the numeral in the display; the cursor changes to the +/- arcs and you click each numeral up or down. Simple, direct, effective, and while completely non-standard it works well. Radios have Dan's X:Y axis tuning.

Arrrgh!.... cue my standard rant about model designers deciding they have a wonderful new UI idea, resulting in an instrument that works differently than it does in any other plane model (grumble)  I've already read on another forum that the ADF doesn't work in the new X-Plane release. It sounds like the user just didn't grok the "new" way of doing things. Do we really need two or three different ways to twist a knob in the sim?

/end rant

I'm looking forward to reading some more reviews of how it flies, although I'm still not sure I'll buy it. Right now I'm doing most of my flying in FSEconomy, and I'm mostly interested in planes that are virtual money-makers there. The Mooney doesn't carry enough cargo or have enough seats. Tom, bring on that Caravan!  ;D

And whoever is doing that Twin Otter... that one too!

And both with floats, por favor!

I've handed off the review for Simon to proof and critique, so it ought to be up soon unless major changes are needed.

The non-standard ADF implementation carried over to setting altitude for the A/P as well. You set altitude by putting the cursor over the numerals and clicking. Issue: the numerals fly by so fast there is no way, and I mean no way other than pure chance, of setting an accurate altitude. Max ALT set in A/P is 10ooo so if you need to cross the rockies or the Sierra you'll just need to set +VS and monitor alt until to you get to cruise then zero out VS. Awkward but it works. On two occasions around 12ooo the a/p started an uninitiated left climb; I let it go on to stall then recovered. I've read of another person experiencing this one.  Also, with A/P engaged the wings rock pretty good (uh, well, not so good) and the heading wanders a bit. I included this information in the review so will expect a squad of ninjas to visit the boat soon after posting. Adios, amigos!