Boeing 747-400

Goran_M

Well gilbernl is a doing the modelling with some assistance from Goran,

I'm texturing and doing probably all of the planemaker panel functionality.

And programming will be done by Dennis (falcon71)

So in a nut shell, Yes. We will make sure there both at the quality level we want for our aircraft!

What do you mean planemaker panel. Wont it be full 3d.

So in a nut shell, Yes. We will make sure there both at the quality level we want for our aircraft!

Gosh, I hope not. No 2D panel = no buy. Include a 3D pit by all means, just don't force me to use it...

Gosh, I hope not. No 2D panel = no buy. Include a 3D pit by all means, just don't force me to use it...

3D panel only, posed as 2D. Sorry, Kaphias. 2D panels are steadily going the way of the dodo bird.

Until I can stop having to move my mouse/joy buttons around and zoom in and out many times just to set up a quick flight plan and set heading/alt/etc... It makes no sense. Last time I sat in a B738 cockpit everything was within reach of one hand and was very quick... no dragging my mouse across the screen to set values, very convenient! I also don't remember having to bring my head to within 6 inches of a control to set it... hm. Sorry, just doesn't work for me. Maybe if you include a track IR setup with all your products...

(I feel obligated to note that most of these observations come from Dan's ERJ, the only plane I fly often without a 2D panel)

The term "planemaker panel" as Theo puts it, is basically all the panel regions for the displays and any clickspots that do not have manipulators tied to them.  If you own the Duchess, open the flight model in planemaker and go to the 3D panel section and you'll see what I mean.  That's the planemaker panel Theo is talking about.

Kaphias, am I correct in assuming you want all controls and displays in your immediate viewport when flying in x plane?  This is impossible in a full 3D, realistically modeled airliner cockpit.  The 744 has far too many controls in its cockpit to fit it all on 1 viewport.  If you are asking for a panel that has been scaled back in detail, then I'm afraid you will be disappointed with anything that Cameron sells through the XA store.  

Also, you mention you got these ideas from Dans ERJ, along with not liking to have to drag your mouse across the screen to set values.  Dans ERJ is loaded with manipulators (which is what I am assuming you are talking about when dragging the mouse across the screen).  Manipulators are much better than click spots as you can specify values at different speeds depending on the speed of the mouse being dragged.  

If you are having trouble seeing numbers or letters in the cockpit, perhaps you should set your texture res to extreme or very high and add some anti aliasing.  You cannot compare what you see in a real cockpit to a sim cockpit.  If you want them to match, you need all graphic settings set to max, including AS filtering and AA.  Unfortunately, this leads to a huge drop in performance depending on your computer speed.

Kaphias, am I correct in assuming you want all controls and displays in your immediate viewport when flying in x plane?

As many as possible.

This is impossible in a full 3D, realistically modeled airliner cockpit.  The 744 has far too many controls in its cockpit to fit it all on 1 viewport.  If you are asking for a panel that has been scaled back in detail, then I'm afraid you will be disappointed with anything that Cameron sells through the XA store.  

I see.

Also, you mention you got these ideas from Dans ERJ, along with not liking to have to drag your mouse across the screen to set values.  Dans ERJ is loaded with manipulators (which is what I am assuming you are talking about when dragging the mouse across the screen).  Manipulators are much better than click spots as you can specify values at different speeds depending on the speed of the mouse being dragged.  

That's correct. I still fail to see the benefit of manipulators, however. Very hard to get exact values, though it is much faster when doing large alt changes.

If you are having trouble seeing numbers or letters in the cockpit, perhaps you should set your texture res to extreme or very high and add some anti aliasing.  You cannot compare what you see in a real cockpit to a sim cockpit.  If you want them to match, you need all graphic settings set to max, including AS filtering and AA.  Unfortunately, this leads to a huge drop in performance depending on your computer speed.

Texture res is up, though my AA is low.

Looks like I'll be sticking with XPFW's wonderful panels that they have made for their aircraft... as far as I'm concerned, it simply can't get better than that.

• 6 months later...

what about this?  :)  http://www.newairplane.com/747/   :)

puhleeeeze?   ;)

Not yet.  There are a FEW systems in the -8 that are different to a -400.  The cockpit layout is almost identical and once we finish the coding for the -400 systems, we will be using them (including the FMC) for projects further down the line.  Other Boeing products are far from out of the equation.

It definitely is a sexy plane though.  Kinda looks like a -400 on steroids.

• 3 months later...

Thought I would post a small update.

grab_133.jpg

It is a semi-functioning FMC.  This screenshot was taken several months ago.  The FMC JPEG is not ours and is only being used for testing and reference purposes.

It is being made from scratch.  No other framework is involved and so far, the numpad and keypad and a few other FMC specific functions work.

There is still quite a way to go but it is moving forward.

• 4 weeks later...

Gentlemen,

Things have been VERY busy for Theo and myself. Mostly for me, as there has been "other" work I have had to take care of (Contract work can be very handy for some extra pocket money) as well as consulting for the Saab 340 and waiting for some more detailed photos of the DC-3. In that time, Theo hasn't had much to do, other than getting proficient at Gizmo and implementing some highly detailed code into the 747-400. Instead of frying his brain with constant programming, and after I went over some of the cockpit of the 747-400, I had him do some texturing for some of the panels of the 747-400. So far, we have the Hydraulics and Bleed Air systems just about fully coded, including the link between them. The Demand Pumps on Hydraulic Systems 1 & 4 are operated by the Bleed Air from the engines while systems 2 & 3 are Electrically operated. Also, Bleed Air from the engines supply Air Pressure into the Hydraulic Fluid reservoirs and this has also been programmed. The Auxiliary Pump will also be coded to run from the Electrical System.

All this code will be used and, where applicable, modified to work with the 747-200. However, we're taking it one at a time and our number one priority is to get the Saab 340A out first, followed by the DC-3 while continuing development on the 747-400 and 747-200 respectively.

We'll be posting a few screenshots of different areas of the various panels to start showing some progress in the coming weeks.

In the meantime...

Overhead_4.png

• Upvote 1

The initial aircraft we will put up is the the Rolls Royce Engine variant. We will make available the PW and GE variants AFTER we release the RR version. Seeing as there is quite a lot of work involved with the programming for each variant, these will be payware upgrades.

During the week is DC-3/Saab and "other" related work duties. Weekends are Boeing work.

A nearly completed Rolls Royce RB211 Engine...

enginerender12.png

enginerender14.png

enginerender13.png

Edited by Goran_M
  • Upvote 3