The Immortal DHC-2 Beaver

Pete_SMS

Right Pete: When you have finished this work of art, why not do an Otter.

You know thats not a bad idea...

A lot of people, especially us FSE enthusiasts, have been waiting to get really good de Havilland Canada models so we can have fun using the Beaver, Otter, Twin Otter, Turbine Beaver, Turbine Otter...

If your really ambitious a great project would be to complete the entire de Havilland Canada family.

Good luck on this project, and man is she looking great.

One question though, have you decided which liveries will be included as defaults, or are you still thinking about it.

Thanks for all the nice comments guys!

Well, since I love simulated bush flying myself, there is a good chance that you might see another one in the future and I think I can not risk that derek's wife will get angry with me. ;)

However, first things first. As for an ETA, I don't want to be too specific right now, because I try to keep my promises and don't want to put myself under pressure if things take a little longer than planned. It will be worth the wait though, if this is going to happen. All I will say is, don't expect it to be available in the next two months, but you should be flying it at least in summer. :)

Just be patient. I try to produce the best simulated Beaver you can get your hands on.

Take your time, because in the end you are your own worst critic, and until your happy they heck with everyone else.

I just realized that because you are using a plugin, or a coded system to make your radial engine realistic, you could probably use a large portion of that same code on other radial engine aircraft, if you were so inclined to make them.

Again, keep up the excellent work.

Here are the first "In Sim" shots of the cockpit and the cabin. Please keep in mind that this is an early stage and I know that there are still some problem areas, like see-through-mesh and some label textures which I think look a little too blurry in X-Plane. That will be fixed of course, but I wanted to show you the current state.

Hope you enjoy!

Oh, and that landing gear lever will be removed for the pure wheel version as well. This is only part of the amphibian version. ;)

wipsim03.jpg

wipsim04.jpg

wipsim05r.jpg

wipsim06.jpg

Edited by Pete
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Pete,

I have been following your DHC-2 Beaver project with great interest. The aircraft is a "must have" for my X-Plane 10 collection.

All of the sudden there are no more postings (since 31 Jan 2012). Is the a/c still in the pipeline? I am sure many people are interested in the development and response.

Good luck with your endeavors. The plane looks great.

Hey Osprey,

Thanks for your interest.

Of course the aircraft is still in the pipeline. Development is running full steam, but there wasn't a lot I could show in the last two weeks. Currently, the main work is fixing the 3d issues I discovered after exporting the full aircraft to X-Plane. Issues like mesh see throughs, higher texture resolution for instruments and placards/labels, fixing the prop size, improving instrument readability and a few other things. This is more or less done now and probably I will show a few new "in-game" shots later this week.

Beside that, I made a few improvements to my plug-in code framework, ported all my code to the multi-platform environment QT and got it all up and running again for Windows and Linux and just ordered my Mac Mini (i7 with 2.8 GHz), so that I am able to compile my plugin code on a Mac as well. The great thing about QTCreator is that it is the same on each platform and I don't have to fight with different environments like MSVS, XCode etc. and of course the flight model is work in progress as well.

So don't worry, even if it is a little quiet from time to time. Development is in full progress and you will for sure be able to fly the Beaver. :)

Just another "In-Sim" shot of the Beaver and yes, that prop is spinning now and is properly sized. ;)

I came home from a testflight and thought you might want to see another picture. I will also show new cockpit shots soon, but there is still some clean-up work going on, but I should be able to show some more in the next days.

Have a nice weekend.

wayhome.jpg

Thanks! :)

@Karingka

Well, you have the autopilot in the cockpit. It is the STEC50, but it is sitting behind the control column in the shot above. ;)

..and yes, I am planning to make the cockpit textures look a little different. At the moment it looks a little artificial. It is a little too shiny, but only a little. It should/will have a more used look in the final version. Not dirty though, only a more used look. This is a modernized Beaver and the owners take good care of her.

The future vintage Beaver might look a little more "heavy duty" though.