Work in Progress Renders

• 4 weeks later...

Between getting the Saab finished, making some Rolls Royce engines and trying to deal with a ridiculous case of hayfever, I finally got my hands on some nice photos of a DC-3. This weekend, I try to get access to it at the airport.

Theo called me a name again and Cameron thinks I've gone completely nuts.

Definitely looking at a Pre-Christmas finish.

render49.png

render50.png

render51.png

• Upvote 2

Only one thing to say to you regarding that first picture: you're a screwed-up nut.

I know. I've been called insane, crazy, nuts, "theo's censored word". I take it all as a compliment.

This will be a great Pre-Christmas present just in time for XP10!

That's what we're trying to shoot for. Fingers crossed.

Goran's hard at work trying to melt computers...

Nah. Just want them to "struggle" a bit. Use their full potential.

:P

Wow, amazing detail!

Thanks Perry. More to come.

I can but imagine the name Theo called you!!!!! Its insane.....but I love the split pins on the throttle quad levers! :)

Go huts my friend go nuts (no pun intended....but what the heck....)

Slainte,

Andy

NZCH

Split pins were just the start. Linkages, cables, wires, it's all coming. If I can stay under my 350 000 polygon budget, I'll be adding it all. So far, with the whole exterior, cockpit walls and cabin interior walls, panel, half the overhead, control columns and throttle console, it's at 119 000 polygons. PLENTY of room to grow.

;)

Now you have to model all of the control cables connected to the throttles!

Now you got me started again.

I flew in a DC-3 once. Very memorable experience! Got to stand behind the pilots as they landed it.

Goran, are you getting to fly in one?

Depends on the owner. They do joyflights around Sydney, but whether or not I'll get in the cockpit remains to be seen.

The CFO at my old flying school has a few connections where the DC-3 is based and I might be able to get him to pull a few strings.

Depends on the owner. They do joyflights around Sydney, but whether or not I'll get in the cockpit remains to be seen.

The CFO at my old flying school has a few connections where the DC-3 is based and I might be able to get him to pull a few strings.

That would be great if you could actually get in the cockpit!

Thanks.

It shouldn't take long actually as there are very basic systems. There will be Gizmo systems involved but they are very easy things to code.

First revision of the flight model was finished last night and it's now being fine tuned by Lukasz. According to him, the first revision was actually VERY nice to fly and he only has to fine tune the very smallest things. Fuel consumption, phase out. friction co-efficient. Maybe a few other small things.

I can say one thing. Taxiing a tail dragger is a royal pain in the butt but it is definitely a lot of fun to fly. Landing an aircraft that big at just over 70 kts feels very strange.

• Upvote 1

Oh dear god, now I have to learn how to take off from water.......in a DC3!!!!!

it was hard enough with DDens G21 Goose!

Question: will use the same plugin for limiting wave height as DDens?

Slainte,

Andy

NZCH

Plug-in to limit wave height??? C'mon Andy. Those waves a little too rough for ya? Can't maintain a 5ft/min descent rate for a nice smooth landing?

:P :P

In all seriousness, I'll see...based on testers feedback.

;)

my way of landing on water is to first strap on Mae West and then tell the co-pilot "its all yours!!!" as I bail out!!!!!

:)

Landing on a runway with floats would be interesting I guess....do the wheels automatically retract once you put gear selector down? :)

Cheers for the reply and the awesome renders.......almost thought it would be available through the .org with that astounding modelling :0

Slainte,

Andy

my way of landing on water is to first strap on Mae West and then tell the co-pilot "its all yours!!!" as I bail out!!!!!

:)

Landing on a runway with floats would be interesting I guess....do the wheels automatically retract once you put gear selector down? :)

Cheers for the reply and the awesome renders.......almost thought it would be available through the .org with that astounding modelling :0

Slainte,

Andy

Landing a floats version DC-3 on a runway is easier than the tail dragger DC-3. (As long as the gear is down) :P

4 wheels and no crazy engine management to keep it straight.

The up-tapered floats leading to the rear allows for a bit of a flare on touchdown as well.

Im still using Hienz's DC3 (since it is the only decent one available at the mo....), and havent had to use the engines to keep things straight (which you have to do in reality as far as I know....) so this new verison will keep me occupied for a while just getting used to proceedures I feel!

Flairing with floats on tarmac......what will you boys think of next!!!!!! Im guessing the touch down sequence could be interesting.....to hard and fast and you have a really expensive lawn mower!!!!

Slainte.

Andy

Holy snapping oriffices batman!!!!! Now that is the business right there, thats what Im talking about! Now I need to find a cosmetic surgeon to re-attach my lower jaw!!!!!

Hmmmm, me thinks a homebuilt cockpit might be in order :)

Thank you for the update!

Andy

NZCH

no worries.......batman :) Theo is a great guy and can texture better than anyone I have ever seen, and combined with you modelling I know that the wait will be worth every cent.

This is gonna be great, and then I can retire the Hienz version I have ;)

Slainte.

Andy

NZCH