mini-EHSI permanent pop-up on demand - SOLUTION!

admroz

It looks that I've found a solution to permanently show (and hide) mini-EHSI pop-up window. For me personally it will be very useful when going through LEGS page while planning a flight. Take a look how it works.

Here is the script - have fun!

Edited by admroz
  • Upvote 7

Hey, that is pretty slick!

The developers are going to hate it, since they've held fast to no pop outs, not even the FMS, saying it destroys the immersion.  I like that script a lot.  Nice work.

Even though I'm at work, I just snagged it, in case they remove it....LOL!!

Tim

Edited by Tim013

13 minutes ago, Tim013 said:

Hey, that is pretty slick!

The developers are going to hate it, since they've held fast to no pop outs, not even the FMS, saying it destroys the immersion.  I like that script a lot.  Nice work.

Even though I'm at work, I just snagged it, in case they remove it....LOL!!

Tim

Two of the devs gave positiv reputation to the script.. So I dont see any reason for them to remove the script. 

I'm happy that you like it! :)

It would be perfect if IXEG would add their own command to show/hide mini-EHSI (as it is, we will as for dragging and resizing later ;)). I'm pretty sure that it is easly doable with probably few "if" statements in the code. My script is just a quick workaround, it constanty and slightly changes the display brightness which triggers the popup. It may have performance impact (however, I didn't observe any).

I don't get immersion killing argument for pop-ups. No one is forced to use such feature. I would love to have FMC popup (much more than ND and PFD). We have an idea for external and platform independend FMC (plugin) for IXEG, but it is currently at proof of concept state. Not sure if it will ever materialize.

Adam

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, admroz said:

I'm happy that you like it! :)

It would be perfect if IXEG would add their own command to show/hide mini-EHSI (as it is, we will as for dragging and resizing later ;)). I'm pretty sure that it is easly doable with probably few "if" statements in the code. My script is just a quick workaround, it constanty and slightly changes the display brightness which triggers the popup. It may have performance impact (however, I didn't observe any).

I don't get immersion killing argument for pop-ups. No one is forced to use such feature. I would love to have FMC popup (much more than ND and PFD). We have an idea for external and platform independend FMC (plugin) for IXEG, but it is currently at proof of concept state. Not sure if it will ever materialize.

Adam

Errrm - no. :D

Hi Jan,

If I could add to a wish list then I would like to be able to pop out the PFD say for landing where I would place in the lower center of the screen so it is larger than how it is simulated as of course in the real aircraft it is bigger than what we experience.

Your guys choice which I respect, but in P3D and a 320 that is in public beta I do make the PFD ND visible for those critical phases of flight.

We still continue to enjoy this great contribution to X-Plane :)

Thanks and good luck with 1.21!

- Carl

Yes, I know that many other planes have things that make it more "convenient" and "easier" for the user to fly the plane. For us it is still a design choice to not make our plane easier to fly than the real aircraft. I am sure that real pilots would love to have "pop-out" instruments that they could suspend in front of them mid-air...but they haven´t invented those yet. You have to constantly glance up and down and going from instrument flight to visual flight with a low ceiling/visibility is a skill that needs to be trained and honed.

I am aware that it is a bit harder in a desktop simulator to "look around" - and thats a reason why we have the "mini-pop-up" when changing a setting on the EFIS control panel. I would also like to have some functionality that simulates a second person in the cockpit, because flying the 737 alone is a challenge. We will add some options to sync the altimeter setting, DH settings and speed bugs, for example.

I also know that resolution of a typical computer screen (1920x1080) is not really helpful when reading small info on your instrument - but hardware is on the way of "curing" all those limitations (4K displays, VR).

I find it not difficult at all to find a seat position that allows me to see all relevant instruments during approach.

I am certain that the designers of the other aircraft have their reasons for adding features and I won´t say that that is wrong at all - it´s just that you guys are stuck with a purist like me when flying the IXEG 737 and will have to learn to cope "the real way". Sorry :P

Cheers, Jan

• Upvote 4

Understood and very grateful we have a purist like you who imparts his knowledge into the flight-sim world :)

I do tend to zoom in slightly on approach and then when touched down, I zoom out slightly so i can see the reverse levers out of my peripheral vision and also be drawn to the autobrake switch so I can verify disarming when I expect it.

I like the syncing option you speak of.

- Carl

1 hour ago, Litjan said:

We will add some options to sync the altimeter setting, DH settings and speed bugs, for example.

Great idea for my next script! ;)

Regarding instrument popups - I see your point, but we have to agree to disagree.

Thanks anyway!
Adam

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Litjan said:

I am sure that real pilots would love to have "pop-out" instruments that they could suspend in front of them mid-air...but they haven´t invented those yet.

Well they kind of have :P - not on a 737-300 though, I suppose.

737-HUD.jpg

SCNR :lol:

Edited by mfor

23 hours ago, Litjan said:

".....

I am certain that the designers of the other aircraft have their reasons for adding features and I won´t say that that is wrong at all - it´s just that you guys are stuck with a purist like me when flying the IXEG 737 and will have to learn to cope "the real way". Sorry :P

Cheers, Jan"

Does this mean that IXEG team categorizes "Cockpit builder" community as not interesting customer target, and that nothing will be done concerning the possibility to have instruments on external screen?

Not interested in becoming the new/better alternative to ProSim and Co?

Cheers

Sylvain

• Upvote 1

On 17/01/2018 at 5:03 AM, Syl20 said:

Does this mean that IXEG team categorizes "Cockpit builder" community as not interesting customer target, and that nothing will be done concerning the possibility to have instruments on external screen?

Not interested in becoming the new/better alternative to ProSim and Co?

Cheers

Sylvain

The IXEG team uses Gizmo as the engine underneath their systems. There are some things they're dependent on me to add support for.

At this time it is simply not possible to create a pop-out window of any kind using Gizmo.

As this year (2018) progresses we will probably see support for this added.

After Gizmo has the ability to create pop-able windows it will be upto IXEG to modify their scripts to utilize the new functionality.

As for the cockpit builder market, you're in an incredibly small niche within a niche.

Time and resources must be dedicated to the largest possible audience to generate a viable and sustainable return.

Add the growing VR market into the mix and things get even more "fun".

• Upvote 1

Thanks for your answer Ben.

The incredibly small "niche within the niche" as you call it, is what is keeping the whole non professional flightsim industry alive ;-)

Otherwise there will only be flight sim developper as well as yoke/pedals producent left...

Cheers

Sylvain

2 hours ago, Syl20 said:

Thanks for your answer Ben.

The incredibly small "niche within the niche" as you call it, is what is keeping the whole non professional flightsim industry alive ;-)

Otherwise there will only be flight sim developper as well as yoke/pedals producent left...

Cheers

Sylvain

Actually, from my side of the fence, it feels like the large number of developers with enough passion to work a second job and still publish products are keeping the industry alive, but what would I know... right?

Hmmm! Not sure I would gain a lot from that pop up. I have already assigned the map mode/range to a hat switch on the stick as the only thing that bugged me was having to look down regularly B733_8.jpgto turn the knobs. ( I wonder whether real B733 pilots would have to do that? Surely their hands would be able to feel out the knobs just from experience). The mini EHSI appears for a moment no matter which direction you are looking & you will see 2 of them when looking at the display. For me it only then disappears when you move the mouse, hat button, or change views.

• Upvote 1