cloud too dark

lavoied

It in Juneau, Alaska.

You are right, it is caused by the date, in November the sun is no so high at this location.  But for my point of view, they are too dark for this time of year.

When I changed the date, the clouds remain dark evens after I redraw them.   I had to switch back and forth to an other location for the cloud to appear normal.   Maybe some code missing to detect date change in x-plane ??

Thanks for your response.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd agree the clouds are a tad bit too dark, I cranked the cloud shadow slider control length down to about 30%. Also turned cloud reflections off, I didn't think they were too realistic, and could use less hit on the graphics. Speaking of which I received a hard to believe warning the first time I ran this update saying my settings (out of the box) were dangerously high. I'm running a 6-core processor with 2 GB of graphics VRAM.

You can get away with 4GB of VRAM with 1080p/1200p and still have decent rendering settings, but of course it depends on the scenery and the plane. I used a GTX 770 with 4GB until recently, which was ok.

I changed to a Titan X woth 12GB, which of course is a bit overkill for X-Plane 10 (a 980ti is more than adequate), so there aren't any VRAM issues to be expected.

Edited by mgeiss

I received a hard to believe warning the first time I ran this update saying my settings (out of the box) were dangerously high.

Any custom scenery installed? That can eat memory alive. If you got this message with our default settings, it means you were running close to the edge beforehand.

Edited by sundog