Updates via .zip vs .exe installation files.

StormyPilot

Hello.

As you push out updates for your aircraft it would be very appreciated if you would also include .zip versions of the updates that you simply copy and paste into your relevant X-Plane aircraft folder. I've noticed a recent trend to only push them out in .exe form.

I am not a fan of installation .exe files, and was very glad to be rid of the endless installations and the connected problems that would sooner or later always occur related to them in FSX when I moved over to X-Plane. So by all means supply .exe files but please give us the option to use .zip files instead either as part of the downloaded package or in a seperate download for applying patches.

Thanks for your time, StormyPilot.

I've just noticed I've placed this post at an incorrect location, my appologies. The post was intended to be directed to all the commercial vendors that are covered by and have their support on these forums.

Not sure where it would be best located, perhaps some of our fine moderators with the know how could move it to a more appropriate location? Would "general discussion" be the right place for wider posts intended for all publishers such as this?

Thank you, StormyPilot.

Your suggestion is appreciated though I don't think we'll be doing that soon and here's why.  Without a doubt our loudest complaining customers have done so because of improper manual installation where their products wouldn't work.  They have cussed at us, accused us of being thieves, liars and cheats...and most people are too impatient to actually read installation instructions.

Since going to single executable installation files, we've had ZERO issues or complaints.  I understand the problems you've had with FSX, but we're not FSX and have not shown a history of troublesome installers.  If we did, we would certainly take your request to heart, but no since doubling our workload with such a high success rate.

• 5 months later...

Sorry...I use the term 'exe' generically and not in the literal *.exe sense.  The installer is consistent across Mac and Windows.....I think it is a dmg on mac  :-P   I honestly don't know because x-aviation does the packaging.  Cameron?

...and for those folks who might wonder why I wouldn't  know, let me just say it's the fact that x-aviation handles it for me and I don' t have to deal with deployment issues is why I go with x-aviation in the first place  :-)  ...so I can worry about development!

No problems with "exe" installations, as long as they allow for custom installation folder. Instead of selecting X-Plane folder hidden somewhere inside "tree structure" of my HDD folders, I type in temporary folder and install the plane there. After that is complete, I'm free to perform manual install into the right folders inside of X-Plane folder. It's both simple and convenient for X-Aviation and for me alike.

It was also my first payware aircraft, and it is still my favorite. It was ground-breaking among X-Plane payware when it was released. There are some things in it that are being upgraded for the not-too-distant future. Even as it is now, it is the one I've been flying the most lately.

Just one thing: I hope you have roll trim assigned to a very convenient location, because you will be using it.