Visibility Issues?

wcschulz3

Hi,

I've been experimenting with today's nasty real weather on the eastern US, and I've found that I can't seem to get visibility to match METARS (or be even close) with the real wx setting, or with NOAA settings.  Many places were reporting under a mile, and I could, once under the overcast, see for at least 10 miles.

When I've tried to set visibility manually, same thing....on the ground the visibility won't change...in the air it seems to follow the set value.

I uninstalled SMP and went back to default XP weather, and could set low visibility just fine, with or without NOAA add-on.

Are there some visibility limitations (min/max) in SMP that I'm not aware of?

Thanks!

Bill

KGSP

Hey, Bill,

Please have a read through this post! :)

Hi Cameron,

I must be dense...I don't get how this overcast issue/thread affects on-the-ground visibility at the airport....(I missed the point of your link).

So, is it possible to get 1 mile vis or less with the SMP add-on?

It's OK if not, it's easy to un-install/re-install as needed for certain kinds of flight experiences.

Thanks!

Bill

Shoot, Bill...I'm insanely guilt of quick reading here, and I apologize for it.

Real Weather and NOAA are based on their nearest METAR data location, so if for some reason the location you are at does not have a service station that reports to online sources, it will go to the next nearest one, and thus the visibility will not be true to life.

Shoot, Bill...I'm insanely guilt of quick reading here, and I apologize for it.

Real Weather and NOAA are based on their nearest METAR data location, so if for some reason the location you are at does not have a service station that reports to online sources, it will go to the next nearest one, and thus the visibility will not be true to life.

Cameron,

Right....but the entire east coast was under 1 mile vis--and I could not replicate that with SMP stand-alone or with NOAA...or manually (trying to over-ride).

Just wondering if low vis is possible with SMP

Thanks

B

Bill,

Okay, totally understand you now...

Low vis is in part set with this "grey screen of death" as so many will call it. This dataref is disabled in X-Plane when SkyMaxx Pro is in use because so many people dislike it.

That said, there IS a way to re-enable it, and I'd be happy to walk you through it with a tutorial post. Let me get on that shortly. :)

Bill,

Low vis is in part set with this "grey screen of death" as so many will call it. This dataref is disabled in X-Plane when SkyMaxx Pro is in use because so many people dislike it.

That said, there IS a way to re-enable it, and I'd be happy to walk you through it with a tutorial post. Let me get on that shortly. :)

Heh, heh, never heard of the grey screen of death!

But, if I can keep it and SMP, that would be great--or at least toggle.

Sometimes, when there is 1/4 or less vis, I like shooting IFR approaches by hand, and it's necessary to not be able to see until 1/4 mile! :)

I appreciate the follow up.

Also--I hope Northern Cal is up soon!  :)

B

Bill,

I would like to have an option to get it back, just to see how both work together. 

Hi John,

I wasn't sure if this needed its own thread, since it's visibility related, but my issue seems to be the opposite of Bill's. No matter what kind of weather I set, my max visibility doesn't appear to be more than about 5 nm max, even when I set everything to clear with a 100 nm visibility in the weather dialogue.

Here are some shots showing all my settings, and what it looks like in the sim:

56w0.th.jpg u7g7.th.jpg h49g.th.jpg  tfkm.th.jpg

All plugins besides Gizmo and Silver Lining are turned off, and my altitude in that shot is FL230. Also, while I was trying out HDR to see if it made a difference at the time I snapped the shot of my render settings, I usually run with it off and the visibility issue is the same.

The weird thing is this seems to be new, so I'm not sure what to make of it. The only changes I've made to the sim since installing SkyMAXXX is installing the HD mesh.

Any idea what might be causing this? Otherwise, I'm loving the heck out of it, at least when the actual weather has that kind of visibility. ;)

Thanks!

Edited by jonrd463

Hello, 

I have this issue, visibility seems stuck at 5 mi, no matter what I set the visibility slider to... I have uninstalled and reinstalled SMP several times but no changes observed... any ideas??

The plugin is awesome BTW, it really changes X-Plane radically... but this issue is quite annoying. Not that the weather in UK is much different than that most of the time, but it would be nice to be able to have a nice clear day...

EDIT: sorry didn't see the post 4 above, I think I'm having the same issue... Also performance are not really consistent, one time great 30 fps at 3840*1024, other times it does not go over 10...

EDIT2: Also, what I'm thinking, the performance issues might be due to X-Plane 10.25, behaving strange after a reload...

EDIT3: I've noticed the visibility slider doesn't work at all... last trial I tried 2, 5, 20 nm visibility, they all looked like 25+ nm...

post-11310-0-47400400-1385666431_thumb.j

post-11310-0-36816500-1385666493_thumb.j

Edited by SPAS

I can reproduce the issue.

It has to do with a dataref skymaxx disables to get rid of the "grey screen of death".

If I close XP10 with the visibility set to 100sm, then next time I start XP10 I get the max. visibility,

but then I can't achieve low visibility.

If I quit XP10 with the visibility set to 0.10sm, then after restarting XP10 the visibility is as low as expected,

but even if I then set the visibility slider to the max. vis. nothing really happens.

But I have the Datarefeditor installed, so I can set the visibility from the lowest to the highest setting without having to restart the sim. And the "grey screen of death" is still disabled, because the dataref gets immediately deactivated again from the Skymaxx plugin, but that short moment is enough to reset the vis..

post-9556-0-14464900-1385672157_thumb.jp

Another temporary work around will be to enable and disable the plugin from "Plugin Admin"   ----named SilverLining

Reset your weathr conditions and keep flying......Like Cam said we will be working on a solution.....

Will try and report! Thanks John!

EDIT: the workaround seems to be working. Not ideal but still good. Waiting for the patch. :D

EDIT2: ...but I randomly get black clouds... 

Edited by SPAS
  • Upvote 2

Will try and report! Thanks John!

EDIT: the workaround seems to be working. Not ideal but still good. Waiting for the patch. :D

EDIT2: ...but I randomly get black clouds... 

Noted ......and noted

We are building a list, keep in mind its the holiday season but we will work through these small issues.....