Read and make up your own mind...X-plane.org and Malware

Goran_M

About a week ago, I made a post in the org about STMA's servers and the warning I got in Google Chromes browser warning about Malware after wanting to go browsing through STMA's website.  After proceeding to the website anyway, after placing a check mark in the "proceed anyway" check box, I later found out my computer was infected with a plethora of spyware and Internet Explorer opening up randomly with pop ups.  The only thing I could do was a fresh install of windows as my System Restore function was permanently disabled and nothing I could do could fix it.  And believe me, I tried everything.  After reinstalling everything (including ALL my back ups...valuable lesson was learned a few months ago), I made a post in the org forums.  a couple of responses (1 from a Linux user who would not have problems anyway) and 1 from Ben didn't really shed any light on the matter.

So I ignored it and made it a rule not to go to STMA's website again.

Well, have a look at this...

stma.jpg

That's after trying to go to x-plane.org.  

There is no way I'm going there anymore.  

It does seem to be random, though.  I have gone there plenty of times in the last few days.  Nonetheless, I'm done with formatting and reinstalling!

Perhaps an org mod can explain it.

Goran

I too was hit with this after visiting STMA's site. It's now happening when I go to the org as well.

The end result was a program called relevant knowledge installed on my computer, causing insane lagging and ultimately BSOD's. Not very fun.

I've finally cleared this out, but be warned to those on windows machines!

I too was hit with this after visiting STMA's site. It's now happening when I go to the org as well.

The end result was a program called relevant knowledge installed on my computer, causing insane lagging and ultimately BSOD's. Not very fun.

I've finally cleared this out, but be warned to those on windows machines!

Never knew this had to do with BSOD's as well.  I was getting those as well at boot up.  Restarts the PC automatically and then boots up fine.

Disappeared after the fresh install.

This may be of some help to you: http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?showtopic=44528&view=findpost&p=493129

If you don't want to go to read it, it's a quote from Mark R. that reads:

"Shadetrees site is secure. Just waiting on Google to review it and remove the stupid flag. A iframe appeared on the index page that pointed to a questionable site. I have done everything I can to lock this down and monitoring it like a hawk. Sorry for any issues it may have caused."

I have no problem clicking the link because CHROME will just block a site that is flagged as unsafe.  I made a post there as there is no STMA banner on that particular page.

I can't see how Mark can say it's safe when Cameron and myself had the exact same problems AFTER visiting STMA.