nVidia Titan

Ntr09

Meh. While it is an excellent card I would be more likely to get a GTX 680 4GB. Save a lot of cash $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Yeah, that'd be a better value (maybe?), but for the few that must push the boundaries (not me, $$ are too scarce), this card is the thing to have. Imagine being able to fully max out XP-10 in ANY situation! Cant wait to see screenshots.

-NR

Two things "forced" me to order the titan. My current GPU is a GTX680 with 2GB. Resolution is 2560*1440.

1. The GTX680 most of the time uses 95-100% of its GPU ressources

2. VRAM of 2GB is not enough to use a good amount of all eye candy settings

Hence if I buy a GTX680 with 4GB the clock speed is still the same and I also plan to use 4 monitors in the near future.

Edited by Crashmax

• 4 weeks later...

@Crashmax

Hi there,

I'd be interested to know how you get on with the Titan. Over the next few months I will be in the market for a new GPU to replace my sturdy-but-budget GTX 560 Ti.

I'd almost put the issue to bed, deciding to go for a single 4GB GTX 680 - but now XP is 64bit final I may like to take advantage of the extra VRAM.

It's a very expensive card I realise, but it'll be the first time I've ever bought a top of the range card, and perhaps it won't be by the time I save up for it.

Either way, please let me know your experience of it, most interested.

Cheers

James

Hi James,

this is only a quick info about my experience with the Titan. More to come if I have the time.

The Titan is a beast and you can run HDR 4xSSAA+FXAA without any issues. I tested it at KSEA with B777 1.4 on X-Plane 10.20 64bit.

GPU was running at 80-95% load and used 4,3 GB VRAM. Shadows at medium, water reflection at default, resolution 2560*1440.

BUT! I also got a new issue. My CPU (3770K@4.9GHZ) was now the bottleneck. So I bought a new x79 mobo with 3930K which let me now fly with my preferred settings. At KSEA I still get "only" 22 FPS but as soon as I let the Airport behind my FPS are shooting through the roof.

Thats not much Infos I know but I have to find the sweet spot and report back.

I can clearly say, that if you not plan also to upgrade your mobo, CPU and memory you should buy the GTX680 4GB because Titan needs a very fast environment. Even faster than my current system.

Best!

Patrick

Hi Patrick,

Thanks for the feedback, good to know. I've recently upgraded my CPU to an i7 2700K with the Intel Thermal Solution (water-cooled block) and in the past week my motherboard to a Z77 chipset and faster (1866Mhz) RAM which has allowed me to overclock in the OS to a stable 4.5Ghz on-demand.

Being quite new to modern overlooking capabilities I was really impressed to see my CPU jump from 1600Mhz to 4500Mhz in realtime when I gave it something to do, such as start X-Plane. The software that handles it was part of the Asus motherboard bundle and I have to say its been a pleasure so far. In my mind I wanted 4.5Ghz - if I got that I'd be happy, and sure enough I got it no problem, with my CPU hitting 36C max. Nice.

So..... All that's left to upgrade is the GPU, which is why I was looking at the 4GB 680. The Titan is certainly a beast, but we'll have to see how it goes over the next few months.

If you do get the time and you don't mind I would be keen to know how the rest of your benchmarking goes. I don't know how many other people will have X-Plane and Titans in the near future, so I might as well take advantage of it!

Cheers

James

• 1 month later...

Hi James,

this is only a quick info about my experience with the Titan. More to come if I have the time.

The Titan is a beast and you can run HDR 4xSSAA+FXAA without any issues. I tested it at KSEA with B777 1.4 on X-Plane 10.20 64bit.

GPU was running at 80-95% load and used 4,3 GB VRAM. Shadows at medium, water reflection at default, resolution 2560*1440.

BUT! I also got a new issue. My CPU (3770K@4.9GHZ) was now the bottleneck. So I bought a new x79 mobo with 3930K which let me now fly with my preferred settings. At KSEA I still get "only" 22 FPS but as soon as I let the Airport behind my FPS are shooting through the roof.

Thats not much Infos I know but I have to find the sweet spot and report back.

I can clearly say, that if you not plan also to upgrade your mobo, CPU and memory you should buy the GTX680 4GB because Titan needs a very fast environment. Even faster than my current system.

Best!

Patrick

As one putting together some specs for a new X-Plane machine, I found your post interesting...

Given the single thread performance comparison between the 3770K and 3930K, it might actually be the memory bandwidth (dual-channel for the 3770K vs quad-channel for the 3930K) providing the difference in performance.

Memory bandwidth of 3770K = 25.6 GB/s;  3930K = 51.2 GB/s

I Am very interested in the Titan for building a new pc specifically for Flight simming. I think the Titan is a great solution but I also think back to the major fps issues in X-Plane 9 that took time to resolve. In time X-Plane 10 will run a lot smoother than it does now and maybe then the Titan will be too much power. What am I saying, too much power? No such thing!

• 2 months later...

You'll have the answer soon, just ordered Zotac GTX TITAN AMP! 6go " Boosted " version to run on a Rampage IV, 32GB DDRIII 2400 MHz and I7 3970X...

If I can't max X-Plane 10.22 64bits out with at least 50 FPS, then we can see this sim can't be maxed out nowadays with nice FPS ;-)

You'll have the answer soon, just ordered Zotac GTX TITAN AMP! 6go " Boosted " version to run on a Rampage IV, 32GB DDRIII 2400 MHz and I7 3970X...

If I can't max X-Plane 10.22 64bits out with at least 50 FPS, then we can see this sim can't be maxed out nowadays with nice FPS ;-)

I tried, I can't max out x-plane 10.22, my requirement, 30fps :(

Edited by eNightOwle

Z77 UP5 TH, i7 3770k, OC 4.2ghz, 16g ram.. Test scenery KJFK payware. Aircraft CRJ 200 payware. I got a feeling that my system may not be feeding the GPU fast enough ...

Gtx TITAN has improvement over my gtx670 but just cannot max out everything.

Edited by eNightOwle