MU-2 progress towards update

tkyler

Dozer,  sounds like perhaps you did not get notifications of the recent responses to this thread like you have in the past?  In which case, that's beyond me.

Exactly, and that's why I put a relatively contentless response on the thread - so I will get emails again in future. Which I now am. I wasn't trying to nag you or anything!

• 2 weeks later...

Yee Ha!   Found some time to do some stuff.   The video shows the overhead with some slightly new switch textures and a "click" functionality instead of a drag.  There's individual landing  light action, though only one light dataref (even though two lights respond to it).  Version 10 brings really incredible lighting to x-plane.  I also addressed something that really bugged me in the current MU2 and that is the lack of systems simulation...in this case, the anti-ice current meter.  Part of the procedures now have you checking the anti-ice system for operation and you cycle on the anti-ice systems and use the current meter to verify they're working.  There's a selector knob you use to select the current source to meter..and of course the relevant switch has to be on to show a current.  This makes the overhead nearly 100% functional.  Not working is the 'map light'...being a spotlight...BUT  in version 10!

Just reporting another really good day of work on the Mu2..chasing down all sorts of little loose ends.  It's getting to be where I can't find much else I'd like to do functionally.  If a feature is missing, it's because myself or (I believe) anybody else won't really miss it.  Of course there's a ton of improvements to be made to 3D and texturing but that will come with the 2.0 series.  Screenshot shows the fire handle lights.  Not the best but better than what's there.

post-4-131369613569_thumb.jpg

I'm going to keep pushing forward while the momentum is there...my list is pretty short.  The last two time consuming things I'll need to go is test with hardware and write code to handle it...and then document all the changes.  That is right around the corner...I might be able to finish my functional  punchlist today.

I'm sure there's a reason, but how comes the copilot's artificial horizon is 2d while the pilot side is a redone 3d model?

I could be wrong, but I think they're both 3D, but modelled on different types of instrument. The co-pilot's horizon looks like an instrument I've seen used as the backup in other aircraft. The pilot's one is possibly a higher-featured luxury version :-)

The copilot one is quite 3D...just needs some texture touch up to bring out some depth and shadowing.  This type of setup is very typical of MU2s "as shipped".  The ADI on the pilot side is heavily integrated into a "flight system" whereas the copilot side is essentially backup Artificial Horizon. 

Don't know if it's too late, but would you be able to include a pilot figure with the update.  I like to take screenshots and film the planes flying and they always look a little weird with nobody flying the plane.  Even if you could have an add on with directions that would be nice,  I add Bebers pilots but on some planes you cannot seen them.  Thanks.

I don't know if I'll put a pilot in this very next "update" Glen is it?    Mostly because it's been quite a long time since an update and I don't want folks to wait any longer than necessary: HOWEVER;  Once the update is out, I will immediately begin working on those kinds of extras, starting with the pilot.  So it's very plausible I can get a pilot in there relatively quickly after the next release.  I have all sorts of ideas planned for the product to make it more full featured and interactive...there are many many things yet to come to improve it over time.  I have said that this is the last release in the 1.5 series...but I should elaborate more and say it's the last "heavily functional" release.  That means I'll make small releases with little tidbits here and there...a pilot would be one for example, but major work to the 3D and any special interactive menus and directions will move to a new 2.0 release.

Wonderfully close gentlemen.  Here's what's left.

1.)  The RMI needles on the default 2D instruments (which I use in 3D) are busted in XP...don't care what anyone says, they don't work.  This means I have to do the needles in 3D...OK, no problem the rest of the needles are in 3D right?  Well yes, except there's no animation dataref for the needles, only "bearings", which means I have to write the animation code for the needles...no biggie, just something I really hate doing that's all.  Animating something to look like it does in reality considering real needle "dynamics", i.e. reversals on signal change, turning off, etc, is a real pain, especially when a needle has two inputs (VOR and ADF)

2.)  I have to set up a few annunciators to be correct.  The annunciator "system" will function fine under normal operation, a few will work with default x-plane systems, but a majority of them I won't code for a few reasons...mostly because these components just don't fail but maybe once in several thousand hours of operation if at all....besides, who wants to simulate a proprietary fuel control system that means nothing more to the pilot than a switch on the quadrant they never flip.

3.)  A thorough pass of the night lighting textures.  Lots of little tweaking and details to get things to look better.

4.)  A few LIT textures to improve like the landing gear and such.

5.)  Write a "what's new" addendum to the manual.  

6.)  Integrate the new (easier and more forgiving DRM module).  Yes, everybody will have to re-register, and hopefully, for the last time in a long while.

7.)  Add code so that hardware users will get animation of the throttles.

I have some momentum and might finish the tasks in a week or so (minus the manual...but that's pretty easy to stay busy on and get done).  So we are NOT talking release in a week, but we are talking the end of "unknown development over time) meaning that I can just roll through the "steps" of writing the manual and packaging up the udpate.

So what's new in the last week or so.  The fuel needles have been "accuratized".  These needles are AC powered and therefore need bus voltage and the inverter on to work.  The test switch also works, the results of such test is in the manual.   Seems trivial, but the preflight procedures calls for turning on the battery, then the inverter and checking the fuel.  Just wasn't right turning on the battery and having the fuel needles work or having them show the right fuel all the time....we're after realism here!

I've made a "concession to laziness" here.  The copilot side altimeter mimics the pilot side, even when you adjust the knob.  This is just pure laziness in dealing with a few blender idiosyncracies...not because of blender itself, but because I slacked a bit in how I set up my blender file.  I'll fix it later...low priority since you never really glance over there.    

Thanks a ton for your patience, rewriting the entire code base for something like the MU2 was not the quickest but paid off handsomely in development experience, flexibility and efficiency.   Each future project benefits from the previous ones and gains momentum.

After this release, you can expect "simple" updates...i.e. for any bugs or a simple fun feature or two, but the really major work of more detailed sytsems or newer high quality 3D for the rest of the aircraft will move to the 2.0 series.  My hope is that the 2.0 series will be comprehensive enough to last for many years without much modification and mature to the point where it's just a great reliable simulation.

Ok...minus the RMI, some texture tweaks, and joystick code.  I'm about done with the aircraft itself for this update.  I still have to get it past my "tester" though.   I'm going to start on the "what's new" addendum though.  Here's the last screenshot before release...a big one so as to not hide anything, so you know what you're getting..more or less.  Remember, this update is free for existing customers, to provide the missing systems that I wanted to put in the original but couldn't.

post-4-131369613879_thumb.jpg

I have some momentum and might finish the tasks in a week or so (minus the manual...but that's pretty easy to stay busy on and get done).  So we are NOT talking release in a week, but we are talking the end of "unknown development over time) meaning that I can just roll through the "steps" of writing the manual and packaging up the update.

Back in the Good Old Days when Oleg Maddox would stalk the public Il-2 Sturmovik forums, his answer that became a catchphrase for how long it would take to complete any given task was "within two weeks".

Nice to know he's not the only developer to think that way!

Really looking forward to this Tom, it seems that you'll be releasing this about the same time as I'll have finished moving house! Very good.

(I love animating needles, I wrote a class to add physics - in the form of friction, damping, variable actuator force etc - to instrument needles! Useful for

- it probably should dance so much in turbulence - although XP9's turbulence is famously bugged.)