BN-2T Turbine Islander v2.0 Update Released!

Cameron

Captains,

This will serve as a formal forum announcement that we have released the version 2.0 update for the BN-2T Islander. All customers who have purchased the BN-2T Islander up till now have been sent an e-mail by X-Aviation with complete instructions on how to obtain your update. We have made this a very simple process! For those that purchase the BN-2T Islander from today forward, your purchased download will already be updated to version 2.0 for you.

What if I didn't get the update e-mail?

If you did not receive your update e-mail don't fret! X-Aviation has updated our system to allow all customers to update with ease, regardless of whether you received an e-mail for the update! Here's what to do:

1. Login to your X-Aviation account here: https://www.x-aviation.com/catalog/account_history.php

2. Find your original BN-2T Islander download and re-download the file. It will download as the latest version!

The following is a list of additions/fixes included:

Improvements / New Features:

• Fully optimized for X-Plane 12
  • Re-tuned flight model including tuned flap behavior and drag
  • New user-interface
  • Visual ice-accumulation on airfoil leading edges and surfaces
  • Reworked FMOD soundpack including new engine, gear interaction, and environmental sounds
  • New HDR lighting for the panel, cockpit, and cabin
  • Updated textures for 3D people
  • Updated engine start
  • Tuned fuel flows, ITT values, and idle speeds
  • Removed beta range

As always, thanks for being a customer with X-Aviation. We appreciate your feedback and support!

Enjoy this latest update, and stay tuned to the forum as we continually announce the latest happenings.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, harryred said:

I notice that Linux is not supported in this update (although the downloaded installer has Linux in the title). Is this a temporary decision or has support been dropped completely?

Not sure what you mean by downloaded installer has Linux in the title? Can you clarify that?

Linux is no longer supported. TorqueSim dropped that support quite a while ago.

@Pils  Very interesting.  Thanks for that.  It seems to have worked!   I also disabled XGS, even though I had the latest version, which should be OK.  Maybe I'll put that back.

What is very strange is that the multi-threaded-uploader has not caused any problems with the Islanders or Cirruses in X-Plane 11 on the same computer - and the value is "0" in those settings.cfg files.  So, X-Plane 12 is mucking things up a bit......    By how much the performance has been degraded by disabling these functions, I have no idea. Maybe Cameron or Coop will comment.

1 hour ago, Cameron said:

Not sure what you mean by downloaded installer has Linux in the title? Can you clarify that?

Linux is no longer supported. TorqueSim dropped that support quite a while ago.

I didn't realize they had dropped support. Until today I hadn't visited the store page since I bought it.

My account still has a link that downloads an archive titled X-Plane12InstallerLinux.zip.

Anyway, I'm still enjoying flying v1.01 in X-plane 11.

40 minutes ago, harryred said:

My account still has a link that downloads an archive titled X-Plane12InstallerLinux.zip.

I think you're getting confused here. We have no such file on our servers. That would be X-Plane's official X-Plane 12 installer.

Cameron, as you are looking at the thread, I did ask why the Cirrus and Islanders were affected by the multi-threaded-uploader problem for me in XP12, but not in XP11 - and more so, because the original support article was written for XP11.   I'm not a programmer(!), but was just curious about the phenomenon.  I'm sure the answer is way above my "pay grade", but I wonder whether this is (a) fixable, and (b) whether it really makes much difference if it's not.   I have to say that my frame-rate seems more than reasonable with the alteration to the settings.txt, but then I can't compare it to what it might have been :).

29 minutes ago, diamonddriller said:

Cameron, as you are looking at the thread, I did ask why the Cirrus and Islanders were affected by the multi-threaded-uploader problem for me in XP12, but not in XP11 - and more so, because the original support article was written for XP11.   I'm not a programmer(!), but was just curious about the phenomenon.  I'm sure the answer is way above my "pay grade", but I wonder whether this is (a) fixable, and (b) whether it really makes much difference if it's not.   I have to say that my frame-rate seems more than reasonable with the alteration to the settings.txt, but then I can't compare it to what it might have been :).

I don't really know. @Coop is the one who would be able to answer that.

As for performance differences, you can answer that on your own. Alter the setting in your XP 11 install and compare it there.

Regarding performance, it varies between minor to negligible. If you are already running at very high FPS the cut would be more pronounced, but that is just math, when introducing extra microseconds every frame. 

Regarding XP11 vs XP12. XP12 broke the previous multi-threaded uploader. The build in v2.0.0 of the Islander is a slightly older version of the new version than what we have in the SR2Xs (just due to how we got these updates out). I've found with Mac the latest builds of the system (as seen in the SR v2.0.1) have removed the issues for me, and we'll be rolling this into v2.0.1 of the Islanders. Something minor of note, we no longer do testing on Intel Macs ourselves (we've all moved on to M1+ based systems), so behavior there is less predictable there.

Thanks for the update. The one thing I cannot get to function is the reverse thrust. I've tried all the native X-Plane quadrant tools: "toggle thrust reverse" button push; "hold thrust reverse at max" button push; and the default "beta and reverse detents" response curve. I searched the included docs but didn't find a recommended set up for the throttle controller. At present the thrust reverse control/response has been iffy at best, not what a pilot would ever rely upon. Given my choice I would like the model to respond to the default beta/response curve without any other configuration. Otherwise I love the model, I just wish I could use the reverse thrust. I'm using fully updated X-Plane 12 and a Honey Comb Bravo quadrant on a Windows 11 Alienware R12.

@Cameron  After what Coop said, I won't bother editing the XP11 files!    Thanks for the reply.

@Coop    Thanks for the explanation.  I would venture that the majority of Mac customers are still on Intel Macs, so your testing comment is a tiny bit worrying, but I suppose you know that things will still work.  I'm going to stay put till the M3 chip is in play.  My 2020 iMac runs both XP11 and 12 very well - and everything else that I use a computer for - so I'll hang on!

1 hour ago, diamonddriller said:

@Cyber Copter  If you read the update notes, you will see that Coop removed the beta range.

OK, I worked out a way to get the reverse to work. I mapped a toggle reverse button, used plain throttle response curves, and advance the throttles gently from idle after the beta lights illuminate. That seems to achieve reverse thrust reliably.

Edited by Cyber Copter

• Cameron locked and unpinned this topic