BET? X-Plane 12

BET (Black Entertainment Network) - Just kidding.

No I'm referring to Blade Element Theory.  X-plane is based on BET, right? So how is it that folks can fly creations made in plane-maker that should never get off the ground. I was recently looking through this thread. I can see no way some of these interesting creations could fly.

X-Plane 12 is supposed to dial in BET to simulate "1st principle" attributes. 1st principles relates to real-world physics. XP11 also incorporates BET which, to my knowledge, means that an aircraft needs an airfoil and thrust capable of creating lift to fly. I wonder if XP12 grounds (nixes) creations that do not meet criteria for true flight? Since I'm not a developer is there something I'm missing?

1 hour ago, VirtualGAaviator said:

BET (Black Entertainment Network) - Just kidding.

No I'm referring to Blade Element Theory.  X-plane is based on BET, right? So how is it that folks can fly creations made in plane-maker that should never get off the ground. I was recently looking through this thread. I can see no way some of these interesting creations could fly.

X-Plane 12 is supposed to dial in BET to simulate "1st principle" attributes. 1st principles relates to real-world physics. XP11 also incorporates BET which, to my knowledge, means that an aircraft needs an airfoil and thrust capable of creating lift to fly. I wonder if XP12 grounds (nixes) creations that do not meet criteria for true flight? Since I'm not a developer is there something I'm missing?

There is a physics 3D model and a visual 3D model.

The visual model can have any appearance you like.

The bus in that thread shows the base airframe.

The McDonalds restaurant not so much.

4 hours ago, Ben Russell said:

There is a physics 3D model and a visual 3D model.

The visual model can have any appearance you like.

The bus in that thread shows the base airframe.

The McDonalds restaurant not so much.

To recap what I think you're saying, in the visual 3D model you can make anything flyable, but not so much if you select the physics 3D model?

1 hour ago, VirtualGAaviator said:

To recap what I think you're saying, in the visual 3D model you can make anything flyable, but not so much if you select the physics 3D model?

The physics model (created in PM) is the ONLY thing that will determine whether it flies or not.  The visual model is exactly that, JUST visual.

On 8/2/2022 at 4:28 PM, JGregory said:

The physics model (created in PM) is the ONLY thing that will determine whether it flies or not.  The visual model is exactly that, JUST visual.

So that leads me back to my original question.. how, on earth, can some of the more interesting plane-maker creations possible flight? Could it be that those folks are using the slew tool to drop them from altitude? The McDonalds aircraft (referenced in another thread) appears to be flying.

40 minutes ago, VirtualGAaviator said:

So that leads me back to my original question.. how, on earth, can some of the more interesting plane-maker creations possible flight? Could it be that those folks are using the slew tool to drop them from altitude? The McDonalds aircraft (referenced in another thread) appears to be flying.

You're misinterpreting what has been told to you in this thread.

3D model = what you see (McDonald's).

Physics model = what is made in Plane Maker and what X-Plane takes into account to fly. It's HIDDEN from view. Therefore, that's how a McDonald's aircraft can fly.

Pardon me if I'm slow to appreciated what's being said. Let me try to recap on a 6th grade level. I think what I'm now hearing is that from a physics stand-point of view a real aircraft is modeled. However, it's being hidden and a different visual representation is overlaid to change the appearance.

If this is correct then thanks guys for helping me understand.