sim/cockpit2/controls/flap_ratio not mapped.

XST

Hi,

In V1 sim/cockpit2/controls/flap_ratio dataref was working properly, seems not to be mapped in v2.

I think is very important to map standard dataref and commands, at least for main autopilot and control functions, since most of the market hardware instruments for home cockpits use them. Not all allow dataref customization.

Not sure if all are possible to map but just in case I will keep reporting them. I'm a home cockpit builder and this is such a great plane for it.

Thanks!

Edited by XST
sim/flightmodel/controls/parkbrake works!

Afaik, the flap lever in the MU-2 is not an axis but it actuates microswitches. 

Do you want to use your hw axis to act the same? E.g. for values 0.9-1 Flaps are up, for 0.7-0.8 flaps 5, 0.4-0.5 flaps 20, 0-0.1 Flaps 40?

And nothing changes with the values between, e.g. 0.6?

Hi, is not a problem of using an axis, I don't use axis for flaps, I use the flaps button up / down a notch in the Saitek panel. And it works perfect!

The problem is related to the display. As a home cockpit I use several kind of displays to show where the flaps are... then I don't have to move the 3D view down to see where the lever is. Just watch the value of the display in my home cockpit. The different displays I have use sim/cockpit2/controls/flap_ratio  to display the flap position, In all the planes I have in XP 11 I had never a problem with this dataref.

Even the v1 of this aircraft shown this correctly. And this is why I point to this.

Ah, I see, so you want to have a dataref for the flaps.

Did you check xscenery/mu2b60/manips/flap_lever_rotate ?

That one should correspond to the lever's position.

xscenery/mu2b60/anim/flap_ratio should be the actual value

Edited by Ch.Cole
Datarefs added

I understand that sometimes aircraft developers needs to use custom datarefs for specific or complex functions for a particular plane. Autopilots win on this.

But I still don't get why standard datarefs are not used for regular easy normal functions and controls. For example, brakes, flaps, trims, landing gear, and so on... simple standards that doesn't change from one plane to another.

This problem only affects to home cockpit builders or instruments trainers, which is not a small percentage of the simmers. In my opinion worth to take in mind.

By customizing each and every dataref in each and every aircraft, it just makes so complicated to keep up the settings for instrument trainers or home cockpits, sometimes almost impossible. If there are X-Plane standards (dataref and commands), and I'm just talking about regular common controls working equal in all the planes... why to over complicate this making all dataref names different?

And again, all datarefs mentioned on this post were working great in the v1 of this same aircraft... reason enough to at least, comment this on this forum.

Always from the constructive point of view, far of a big complain. Still a great aircraft!!!

But I still don't get why standard datarefs are not used for regular easy normal functions and controls. For example, brakes, flaps, trims, landing gear, and so on... simple standards that doesn't change from one plane to another.

This is understandable.  and from your perspective it may make sense; however, we have many users who are quite into accurate simulation and its very common to have X-Plane's systems simulations, datarefs and functions "break down" as we begin to simulate more obscure and fringe operating modes.  Unless you've tried to simulate an aircraft as deep, its hard to convey and I won't try.  Trust me, we want to use standard functions...we really do.   I'm very keen on cockpit building thorugh and worked with Rob Archer to build his 737 sim so I'm on your side.

https://www.pjrc.com/737-300-flightsim/

Please pardon me if it takes some back and forth between us for me to fully understand your needs and undestand exactly what it is your trying to do and go about it.  For example, while I can't recall what the flap ratio dataref does in V2...I know that the flap deflection angles are provided....so depending on how you go about building your cockpit, you may take a different approach.  For example, if I'm programming my own Arduino, then I don't need the ratio datarefs, I have other day I could use.   So the trick for you and I is to make sure I get you the data you need for your approach.

So are you asking for 'sim/cockpit2/controls/flap_ratio' to work?  I can look into that, but unsure because I had to override the flaps to get realistic behavior for Version 2.  Version 1 was simplified greatly.  If that doesn't work for you, perhaps I can implement another option.

-TomK

Tom, thank you very much for your post!

I'm also a developer (instrument trainers) and home cockpit builder. I mainly focused on glass cockpits but also gauge ones. We both are on the same side.

I 100% understand that you have urgent matters and priorities so, as a developer, I will never ask you to jump into minor things like this one unless you see an easy way to solve it.

Let me check alternatives on my side first and I will let you know shortly what the results and options are... I may have  alternatives to sim/cockpit2/controls/flap_ratio that may work now and if so, there is no reason to bother you on this.

I first asked this because it was working in v1 of this aircraft but fully understand that you had to override this for a realistic behavior.

Will get back on this as soon as I explore some alternative ways and I'm pretty sure we will get to a good solution.

Thank you very much for such a great work on this plane.

Update: sim/flightmodel2/wing/flap1_deg[0] dataref

Works and gives the right information I want to show, it seems to work well in all other planes.

So I think is better to change this on my side.

We can consider this problem solved.

Thank you very much for all of your help.

• Upvote 1