Just for fun

chroode

The checklists are long, and for good reason, to ensure the safety of the plane.

BUT what if you had to jump in the plane and get it quickly off the ground (you don't have time to go through the testing of warnings, etc) , by yourself, with zombies chasing you, and others with you? (or some other catastrophic event)

How fast can you get the correct systems turned on and safely off the ground? (Obviously without ATC approval seeing they already got eaten.) :D

My first try was 4 minutes 31 seconds from turning on the battery switch to wheels up, and no yellow indicators. Although my IRS didn't have time to align so I could only get the autopilot to maintain altitude without heading or ATS.

How did you do?

Edited by chroode

18 minutes ago, IronCroptop said:

I'm at 2 days and counting. Still haven't left the ground.

My baseline time will leave plenty of room for improvement.

:lol:

Well, I might have cheated, a little bit.

Before I tried the exercise, I picked out what procedures were actually necessary to start and taxi the plane. I wrote them down, and then from memory tried it. 

Almost all planes are started the same way with some minor differences. Battery, APU, APU Gen, fuel flow, engine start, generators, flaps, lights.

Of course, there are differences like my Dornier uses "Condition Levers" to regulate the fuel, the jets use their throttles, Cessna 172 uses a push/pull throttle. and on and on. 

I just thought it would be a fun exercise to see how well you remember where everything is and can activate it quickly. 

Edited by chroode

2 hours ago, softreset said:

8 minutes, 48 seconds from leaving the FBO to Vr at KSJC staffed by OAK_CTR.

Did you test any systems or do a walk around? I'm leaving out testing any systems or checking the outside of the plane and just assuming they are good to go, because this is an emergency get the heck out of here situation.

Zero tests. The aircraft is completely cold & dark, no de-icing required. I am using the FBO fueling process, it's actually faster than the manual process because it's synchronous. I put on ~ 3000 lbs. of fuel and gave myself 5 minutes on "when are you leaving" phase of the FBO experience.

The IRS alignment process is 6-minutes, so that's about as fast as you'll ever go through a legitimate take off sequence. In my case, I was 100% ready to go at 6-minutes. Like engines running, door closed, passengers seated.

Truthfully, a normal flow for me is 12 to 15 minutes. But I tried a "speed run" to see how fast I could theoretically get off the ground.

• Like 2

On 1/14/2022 at 4:50 PM, softreset said:

The IRS alignment process is 6-minutes, so that's about as fast as you'll ever go through a legitimate take off

That's still a real good time. but the intent of the exercise wasn't to fuel the aircraft or for a legitimate take off. Pretend it's not your plane. You just happened to be at the airport and all heck breaks out, a local extinction event, and the only way to survive is to get out of the area. You see this Challenger with the door open and you got to go, now. No checklists, by yourself, get it started and go.   If it's life or death, I'm not waiting for the IRS, or setting the FMS. Just take off and fly the airplane.

Edited by chroode

Welp! I finally got this baby started and off the ground once. So my new benchmark time to beat is 3 days. 

I have also started up from cold and dark a few more times but did not taxi or takeoff so I'm not counting those. Trying to get comfortable with the startup and shutdown procedures first. Figured I post though so that others will know that no matter how many minutes it takes them, they won't be in last place in the speed standings. :)